iPhone7 Plus + Sony MDR-1A + ???
Dec 2, 2016 at 2:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Aykut Elmas

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone?

i am new at the hi-res music world, and i have some questions. i have an iPhone 7 Plus and i recently bought Sony MDR-1A headphone for listening hi-res music. When i was thinking to buy a FİİO X3 or X5, one of my friend told me that i dont need a DAP. He told me that i need an amplifier, and he sugggested me FİİO E12. He told me that the DAC chip which in iPhone is enough for me.

So what do you think guys? i have an iPhone 7 Plus and Sony MDR-1A headphone. What shoud i buy next for hi-res music?

Dec 3, 2016 at 12:05 AM Post #3 of 7
No you don't need an amp.

i think you dont need an AMP for a 48ohm headphone

The reason is not only because it is just 48 ohm. Specifically this headphone has quite a high sensitivity therefore, doesn't it need an amp. There are headphones with low impedance that require amps because they have low sensitivity. 

Dec 3, 2016 at 5:29 AM Post #4 of 7
  No you don't need an amp.

The reason is not only because it is just 48 ohm. Specifically this headphone has quite a high sensitivity therefore, doesn't it need an amp. There are headphones with low impedance that require amps because they have low sensitivity. 

Thank you for your answer. I know my headphone is not the best hi-res headphone in the world but think MDR-1A headpone is one of the best solutions under 150$. So what do you suggest? Should i keep seaching for a DAP?

Dec 3, 2016 at 5:39 AM Post #6 of 7
  is it good or bad?

Did you mean;

"48 ohm headphone is a piece of trash so you dont need a buy an extra AMP for this"

or

"48 ohm headphone is so great that it doesnt need an AMP"

Headphone sensitivity or impedance does not correlate to quality. Subjectively speaking, whether a headphone is good or bad is dependent on the listener. If it sounds good to you then that's all that matters.

Thank you for your answer. I know my headphone is not the best hi-res headphone in the world but think MDR-1A headpone is one of the best solutions under 150$. So what do you suggest? Should i keep seaching for a DAP?

You can buy a DAP if you like but if you're worried about sound quality I don't think it is necessary. I do not know how much power the iPhone 7 dongle outputs but it should be enough for your cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back