IPhone X to amp
Apr 13, 2019 at 6:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

krismusic

Headphoneus Supremus
Sorry if I am being dense. I was trying to run my HD600's through an amp, using my iphone as source. Plugged A3.5 Jack into the headphone dongle and connected to amp. No sound. What am I doing wrong?

Apr 13, 2019 at 10:08 PM Post #2 of 8
iOS 12+ requires you to unlock your iPhone to use a USB accessory. Check that and then max out the volume on the iPhone and control volume from the amp.

That's the best I have to offer, so I hope it works.

Apr 14, 2019 at 10:04 AM Post #3 of 8
iOS 12+ requires you to unlock your iPhone to use a USB accessory. Check that and then max out the volume on the iPhone and control volume from the amp.

That's the best I have to offer, so I hope it works.
Thanks for trying to help. I don't think it is that as I had the phone unlocked.

Apr 15, 2019 at 4:37 PM Post #4 of 8
You should be able to run an amp just like that. I run my iPhone X with my Topping NX3s exactly that way (Lighting adapter > 3.5mm cable > amp). For my Fiio Q1 Mk2, it comes with fantastic Lighting-to-micro USB adapter (lets you bypass the iPhone's DAC and use the Fiio DAC).

You can get the Fiio Q1 Mk2 on Amazon refurb'd for $80.

Apr 15, 2019 at 5:04 PM Post #5 of 8
You should be able to run an amp just like that. I run my iPhone X with my Topping NX3s exactly that way (Lighting adapter > 3.5mm cable > amp). For my Fiio Q1 Mk2, it comes with fantastic Lighting-to-micro USB adapter (lets you bypass the iPhone's DAC and use the Fiio DAC).

You can get the Fiio Q1 Mk2 on Amazon refurb'd for $80.
Thanks for that. Yes. I really don't understand why the adaptor to 3.5 didn't work. I didn't really want to buy any more equipment. I'm happy with the sound of the adaptor. I did see a Belkin lightning to 3.5 cable. Presumably I would then be listening to a Belkin Dac rather than Apple?

Apr 15, 2019 at 7:16 PM Post #6 of 8
I'm not sure if the DAC in the Belkin cable would be Apple or Belkin, though I'm pretty sure it's still the Apple LAM (lighting audio module). Fiio does sell a Lighting>3.5mm dongle DAC/amp, though I've never used it or really looked into it. I've got a whole bunch of the Apple dongles, and I pretty much always have my Q1 with my iPhone. They stack very well together using velcro rather than rubber bands.

Apr 16, 2019 at 3:04 AM Post #7 of 8
I'm not sure if the DAC in the Belkin cable would be Apple or Belkin, though I'm pretty sure it's still the Apple LAM (lighting audio module). Fiio does sell a Lighting>3.5mm dongle DAC/amp, though I've never used it or really looked into it. I've got a whole bunch of the Apple dongles, and I pretty much always have my Q1 with my iPhone. They stack very well together using velcro rather than rubber bands.
I have a Mojo/5S stack. Velcro here too. Rubber bands obscure the screen. I've more or less come to the conclusion that the Mojo is unnecessary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back