iphone- worth it?
Sep 18, 2007 at 11:30 PM Post #31 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pieman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The iPhone in a sense is old technology. When it has 3G capabilities, then maybe it is worth buying. Until then why bother.

Simon

Ask the marketing guys why they don't have 3G in the current release...
wink.gif

There's always some new generation with Apple devices.

Sep 19, 2007 at 4:32 AM Post #32 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by warubozu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can anyone tell me when you perform the unlock on the iphone is it a permant or temporary unlock?

Hard to say since the new firmware isn't out yet. But I think once you update the firmware it will require one to redo the unlock.

Sep 19, 2007 at 5:12 AM Post #33 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by M0T0XGUY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The difference is that the iPhone actually does something innovative

I've heard this time and time again. What is "innovative" about the iPhone? Multi-touch screens have been done before, integrated wifi has been done before, music-playing on a phone has been done before...

Honestly I simply don't see the value for the price, even with the drops.

Sep 19, 2007 at 6:44 PM Post #35 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedLeader /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've heard this time and time again. What is "innovative" about the iPhone? Multi-touch screens have been done before, integrated wifi has been done before, music-playing on a phone has been done before...

Innovative is all of that crap is thrown into a phone sized package with a spiffy and easy to use OS and having it all work reasonably well.

Why the iPhone made sense value wise for me:

A) Phone died.
B) Already on ATT contract.
C) No ATT discount for any phone since I'm already on contract.
D) Contract switching is out, due to termination fees.
E) Any EDGE unlocked/ATT phone is ~ $200-600.
F) A 8 GB MP3 player of reasonable quality is ~ $100-150.
G) A wifi net-browser is ~ $200.
H) The iPhone combines the three in a nice flat package.

Is it perfect? No. But for my situation, the iPhone is a very good value.

Sep 19, 2007 at 7:26 PM Post #36 of 43
Quote:

Innovation is not simply doing something that hasn't been done before. In the case of the iPhone, when people talk about the innovation that i brings they mean that this device is the first device to set a new standard. it does this by bringing capabilities that were previously readily available into the mainstream, thus changing the current cell phone climate. sure, everything the iPhone does HAS been done before, but never before has a device with all of this capability enjoyed such media attention and popularity.

the only time i can remember my parents actually getting excited about a cell phone was back when cell phones first came out. now they cant wait for their service agreements to end so that they can get their iPhones.

because the iPhone brings all of these features (and IMO amazing UI) to the masses, so to speak - it forces the competition to do the same. thus, INNOVATING the field.

i personally believe that the cell phone market in the US has been stagnant since it started basically. any new products have been minor improvements or arbitrary pairings of digital technologies bases on R&D stats.

pocket PC's and smart phones have had all this capability for a long time, but they have always been ugly, hard to use and not very cool (business oriented). this kept their demographic to the few people who actually needed the CONNECTIVITY they provided.

what the iPhone does is make people believe that everyone needs that kind of connectivity(or at least want it really bad). in the process, it forces competitors to find new ways of providing it. because it changed demand it has forced the industry to grow. this is innovation.

Sep 19, 2007 at 7:42 PM Post #37 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by mochimon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
pocket PC's and smart phones have had all this capability for a long time, but they have always been ugly, hard to use and not very cool (business oriented). this kept their demographic to the few people who actually needed the CONNECTIVITY they provided.

See, I disagree. I love the looks of the European Nokias, they have the functionality, with an OS that I'm used to and prefer. I think they're "cooler" than the iphone. I will agree though, the only way to get a decent phone in NA is importing an Asian or Finnish phone. Ridiculous I know, I just use a 770 and an older bluetooth nokia.

Sep 19, 2007 at 8:29 PM Post #38 of 43
Quote:

You can argue that everything in the iPhone has been done before separately, but never have any of its features been put together in a package so aesthetically appealing and with a great OS to boot. As for the value, well, that's too subjective an argument for me to comment on, so I will refrain from doing so.

Nov 25, 2013 at 12:57 AM Post #39 of 43
Whats the purpose of the "unlocked" Iphone? Could you use it with verizon or tmobile or something?

The iphone that do not have carrier locks are ones that specifically say they are "unlocked iphone".The unlocked version of the iPhone, which is sold at the Apple store, and some developer edition devices. If you want an unlocked phone, you should research in advance whether the phone you are purchasing is available as unlocked and where you can buy it as an unlocked device.If you're a frequent international flyer then this is definitely cost effective . By the locked iphone, international roaming rates are ridiculous, even if you have a worldwide plan with your carrier. These costs vary depending on where you're going.Buying an unlocked iPhone will cost you a lot more than an iPhone that you purchase with any carrier contract ,to avoid this you can get a mobile is locked with any carrier and unlock it with an online vendor like Classicunlocking.com . Unlocked iphones are great because you can use them on any GSM carrier. That means you can use a local carrier when traveling abroad .The best feature of an unlocked GSM-based iPhone is that you be able to travel abroad without paying roaming fees by using local prepaid SIM card into your iPhone and enjoy pay-as-you-go voice and data services from another GSM-based carrier.Unlocked iphone does not support CDMA carrier

Nov 25, 2013 at 12:39 PM Post #42 of 43

BTW - Anyone know how to track the location of someone with an iphone or cell phone if the number is known ?

Nov 25, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #43 of 43

BTW - Anyone know how to track the location of someone with an iphone or cell phone if the number is known ?

We could say the same for any expensive cellphone in the market. Nobody really uses all their capabilities and processors speed. We could say the same for all high end headphones with that regard...

With an "iphone" using find my iphone app, you could track the cellphone movement if the internet is working. There are also some free apps like Prey for android or 
Android device manager if you registered your phone with google.
https://www.google.com/android/devicemanager

Users who are viewing this thread

Back