iphone- worth it?
Sep 18, 2007 at 4:11 AM Post #17 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by CaseJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whats the purpose of the "unlocked" Iphone? Could you use it with verizon or tmobile or something?

any gsm: carriers that using sim card system.

tmobile is pretty cheap here compared to at&t

Sep 18, 2007 at 4:34 AM Post #18 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Duke_Of_Eli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They're really heavy from my experience with one. If you just like the iPhone, minus the phone, the ipod touch is cheaper, lighter and smaller. Personally I'll just wait for the generation 2 to be released. Bring back completely annodized aluminum casings apple! Damn to hell your shiny scratchable backings. [/Rant mode off]

The lightness of the iPod Touch also has quite a bit to do with the polycarbonate touch screen vs the iPhone scratch resistant glass front. And well, an iPhone is going to be significantly lighter and less bulky than a Touch + cell combination.

Only thing that would bother me if I'm on T-Mobile is Apple's penchant for software lockouts. Not too sure how well/long the phone unlock is going to last. And that the iPhone barely has enough battery life to act as a DAP, web browser, and cell unless you constantly have power nearby.

Sep 18, 2007 at 6:09 AM Post #19 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by kamal007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
any gsm: carriers that using sim card system.

tmobile is pretty cheap here compared to at&t

Are you sure that other carriers can support iPhone without Apple ?

I bought a pair of iPhone for my "Boss" at home and myself. I've just activated one unit for a trial run. You have to use itunes to activate the phones via Apple proxy to AT&T (Cingular).

I'm not sure if iPhone use SIM card, but it's obvious that you can't just swap it like other phones.

So far, I really like it. There're a few limitations, but if you don't think like an extreme audiophile then you'd be happy with the features and design of it.

By now, I have to live without LOD on iPhone. I guess that I'd learn to adjust to the quality of the 2.5mm output. I think it's a trade-off between SQ and convenience.

Sep 18, 2007 at 7:49 AM Post #20 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3x331m /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you sure that other carriers can support iPhone without Apple ?

I bought a pair of iPhone for my "Boss" at home and myself. I've just activated one unit for a trial run. You have to use itunes to activate the phones via Apple proxy to AT&T (Cingular).

I'm not sure if iPhone use SIM card, but it's obvious that you can't just swap it like other phones.

So far, I really like it. There're a few limitations, but if you don't think like an extreme audiophile then you'd be happy with the features and design of it.

By now, I have to live without LOD on iPhone. I guess that I'd learn to adjust to the quality of the 2.5mm output. I think it's a trade-off between SQ and convenience.

you activate it using at&t (and itunes), but then you can do one of several things to unlock it. other sim cards do indeed work in the iphone after unlocking has been performed. swapping sim cards is very similar to other phones - just use the paper clip to pop the sim card out, then replace with other sim card.

personally, i would wait until after january and macworld 2008, where jobs is most likely going to announce 3G capabilities and probably 16GB (minimum) drives. i agree that the interface and that screen are just fantastic...but wait 4 more months and i think you'll be glad you did...my 2 cents.

Sep 18, 2007 at 3:39 PM Post #22 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by jayehs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
no 3G for the UK

Making it bloody useless.

There's nothing better than a 3g phone (preferably HSDPA) tethered to a nokia N800 with an unlimited data package (well 1-3gb). Pure Bliss!

Sep 18, 2007 at 5:18 PM Post #23 of 43
The iPhone is a pretty nice budget phone if the Nokia Vertu is currently beyond your reach.
vertu.jpg

Sep 18, 2007 at 8:17 PM Post #24 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock&Roll Ninja /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The iPhone is a pretty nice budget phone if the Nokia Vertu is currently beyond your reach.
vertu.jpg

The difference is that the iPhone actually does something innovative, although they both capitalize on prestige and mystique.

Sep 18, 2007 at 9:28 PM Post #25 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you activate it using at&t (and itunes), but then you can do one of several things to unlock it.

Not entirely true ... there is a program called Phone Activation Server that tricks itunes and your iphone into thinking you're activated through at&t. The benefit of which is you don't get stuck in a 2 year commitment with at&t. once the phone is "activated" you can then unlock it after which you no longer need to have the phone activation server running in the background.

Sep 18, 2007 at 9:39 PM Post #26 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by dslknight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not entirely true ... there is a program called Phone Activation Server that tricks itunes and your iphone into thinking you're activated through at&t. The benefit of which is you don't get stuck in a 2 year commitment with at&t. once the phone is "activated" you can then unlock it after which you no longer need to have the phone activation server running in the background.

right. thanks for the info. there are also other workarounds (SS# with all 9s) that will get you on pay-as-you-go plans, too.

and no 3G in the UK does suck...how useful will the included wi-fi via the Cloud be? i understand that it's pretty good for urban areas but useless in ireland or the countryside...

Sep 18, 2007 at 10:02 PM Post #27 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and no 3G in the UK does suck...how useful will the included wi-fi via the Cloud be? i understand that it's pretty good for urban areas but useless in ireland or the countryside...

3 now have excellent data packages, 1gb for £10, 3gb for £15, etc

3g coverage, while not perfect, is much better than the 20 metre radius around bars and petrol stations you'd get with wifi. Coverage is increasing (albeit slowly) and speeds are increasing (7.4mbit trials at the moment). Wifi hotspots are gimmicks at best, for Starbuck regulars rather than mobile warriors
wink.gif

EK

Sep 18, 2007 at 10:06 PM Post #28 of 43
i find the iphone a gimmick trying to sell off the ipod hype. sony ercisson and nokia are the ones for a phone.

not tooling about paying money for a slow internet.

Sep 18, 2007 at 10:40 PM Post #30 of 43
The iPhone in a sense is old technology. When it has 3G capabilities, then maybe it is worth buying. Until then why bother.

Simon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back