iPhone with PK1, really do I need an amp
Nov 19, 2009 at 5:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

borako

Head-Fier
Ok, so I have been enjoying PK2 for a couple of weeks now. I read that PK series does not take long to break-in but apparently that's not the case, at least with me since these phones sound much better after 2 weeks. Or is it my ears adjusting to the sound coming out of these phones, maybe.

Anyway, so it really is great for earbuds, for the price. Now, I am really curious about PK1, but at the same time I really want to stay away from an amp. I've probably read most of the threads regarding PK series in this site, and I see half of the people saying "iPhone output is enough to enjoy PK1", and the other half saying "No matter what, an amp will make big difference with PK1". I will probably ask Fang to exchange PK2 to PK1, since I can't really afford to have them both.

So if you have iPhone (3Gs), PK1, and a decent headphone amp, can you share me your experience of iPhone / PK1 combo, with and without an amp?

I do know that, I'll probably get PK1 first anyway, and probably get an amp someday... Unless, of course I successfully erase this site off my memory...
biggrin.gif

Nov 19, 2009 at 9:27 AM Post #6 of 13
PK1s a much better with an amp, you might not be able to drive it to appropriate volumes with just the iPhone itself.

Nov 19, 2009 at 7:12 PM Post #7 of 13
It's not a matter of needing an amp for power. I could drive the PK1 to listening volume with my old sandisk players and an ipod 5g video. However, amping them gives them a lightness and effortlessness that they don't have unamped. You really want to use them with an amp.

Same goes for the PFEs, despite their low rated impedance. They are much more effortless and musical when supplied with plenty of juice. They're more of an exception to the rule though.

Nov 20, 2009 at 12:51 AM Post #8 of 13
Honest to god, there isnt as big of a difference as people say when amping the PK1. I listen to my pair straight out of my iPod Touch 2G, and also out of my Predator and I dont really notice that big of a difference. The difference is so small that its not worth having to lug around an extra amp at all.

If switching from one set of phones to another gives you a 100% difference in sound. Amping makes maybe a 5% difference to the PK1. And since you arent likely to be doing any critical listening on-the-go, this difference is not worth it at all.

As for not being able to drive the PK1's to a listenable volume, they are VERY loud at max volume, so thats not the case.

Nov 20, 2009 at 2:11 AM Post #9 of 13
I have the Touch 3rd Gen with the same internals as the 3GS. and I recently bought the OK2.

The OK2 has been compared almost to the PK1, then the OK3 to the PK2. and the OK1 of course being best.

I do know that more will say the PK1 needs amping then not, not sure how many will say the OK2 does, but from personal experience, coming from someone very, VERY new to the anything but stock apple buds, I can say that there clearly was a difference in sound.. for sure, Amping the OK2 gave it a much fuller overall sound, a more pronounced mid range, and better bass. But, I also will say that they were amazing with no amp, and the added highs were almost to much with an amp and I have NO problem wearing them without an amp, I almost prefer it with the OK2 specifically.

Sadly the design of the OK2 being fat at the earpeice to enable screwing in ear canal for iem style made them to large and fall out of my ear. So i returned them and Im waiting for the PK2 to arrive.

So you like the PK2?? how long did you burn them in?

Nov 20, 2009 at 4:48 AM Post #10 of 13
As I stated in my original post, I thought it sounded good pretty much out of the box, but I think it's gotten a lot better after about 10 days. I didn't feel it was necessary to feed pink noise overnight etc, but apparently the burn-in takes a lot longer. I don't feel much improvement soundstage-wise, but everything just sounds more crisp and enjoyable. I will wait and see if it gets any better next week, if I don't upgrade to PK1.

I do like PK2. It's comfortable, easy to put on and off, crisp sound in all spectrums. It does lack bass (depth-wise) as others stated. I don't miss it a whole lot mainly because it does others really well. I feel it is rather picky with bad rips, though. Because PK2 is so good... next step of course is upgrade to PK1. The reason for this post.
tongue_smile.gif

Anyway, I was hoping for more people with actual experience using PK1 with iPhone unamped... From what I read, iPhone is one of the most "powerful" players and I guess what I want to find out is whether $100 + bulk investment in amp is really, really worth it and not worth switching over to PK1 if used unamped. Oh crap, I don't know what I'm trying to say anymore.

The reason why I want to try PK1? Because of course, most people says it does everything better, even unamped.

Nov 20, 2009 at 4:51 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by pomme de terre /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Honest to god, there isnt as big of a difference as people say when amping the PK1. I listen to my pair straight out of my iPod Touch 2G, and also out of my Predator and I dont really notice that big of a difference. The difference is so small that its not worth having to lug around an extra amp at all.

If switching from one set of phones to another gives you a 100% difference in sound. Amping makes maybe a 5% difference to the PK1. And since you arent likely to be doing any critical listening on-the-go, this difference is not worth it at all.

As for not being able to drive the PK1's to a listenable volume, they are VERY loud at max volume, so thats not the case.

You're the first person to put it percentage-wise... Interesting perspective. Thanks.

But we all are fools, and will pay whatever premium to get that 5%. That's the problem...
icon10.gif

Nov 20, 2009 at 11:22 PM Post #12 of 13
Hi,

I sold my PK2. I found them too harsh and treble was abit unbearable, So I bought the PK3.

PK3 are just amazing, great bass, nice detail, obviously detail is better on the PK2, but didn't like the fact it had less bass.

Now I'm thinking of upgrading to PK1! But I'll be using it unamped!!! YES unamped!!

Jul 25, 2014 at 10:48 PM Post #13 of 13
I was using PK1 unamped on iPhone 4s and currently unamped on iPhone 5.

Today, I tried them on my friend's Leckerton UHA-6S MKII and I could tell a small difference; and yeah maybe around 5-7% difference; definitely less than 10% in my opinion. For me, I think the difference in sound is enough that I would subconsciously feel greater appreciation for my music.

I don't like carrying around too many gadgets so I never bought an amp but I am considering one now since I'm also looking at portable headphones (AT ES-10, Senn Amperior)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back