iPhone vs Android(s) + portable amp?
Oct 9, 2011 at 1:47 PM Post #16 of 21

Quote:
because usb hosting often requires the host to supply the power, fr tablets they usually have a higher capacity battery and higher output current on the usb, phones probably cannot support this due to smaller, lower capacity, lower voltage battery

Ah yes, that makes sense. I guess they could do it, just that your phone would die quickly.

Oct 13, 2011 at 7:47 AM Post #17 of 21
Just to confirm the galaxy sii does not output digital audio via usb otg, to either my dacmagic or my bros behringer audio interface. Hopefully ice cream sandwich will be out on my phone soon as that should carry this ability.

Oct 14, 2011 at 4:47 PM Post #18 of 21

Quote:
Pity iPhones have superior sq compared to sq, was getting excited I could have a drag and drop flac player
mad.gif

Ironic. I stand firmly in believing android has better sq. CyanogenMod has DSP manager and the stock music player there can decode flac. Though about amping, not so sure.

Oct 14, 2011 at 9:43 PM Post #19 of 21

Quote:
Ironic. I stand firmly in believing android has better sq. CyanogenMod has DSP manager and the stock music player there can decode flac. Though about amping, not so sure.

You bias is showing because there is no way that Android can have a consistent measurement of SQ - different handsets uses different DAC chips yet the OS itself does so little in terms of SQ.  

It's like saying that Linux running on an onboard sounds better than a Windows/Mac running on a proper external DAC just because it is Linux, it makes no sense at all.

Oct 14, 2011 at 10:24 PM Post #21 of 21

Quote:
can an usb dac be used on iphone?

There are definitely external DACs that are designed to bypass the iphone's internal DAC via the iphone's contector if that's what you mean eg HRT iStreamer.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back