iPhone TRRS connections.
Mar 27, 2011 at 1:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Maxi41

New Head-Fier
Hi all, I hope you can help.

I bought a V-Moda headset for use with my iPhone. It sounded great for a couple months until one of the connections in the plug broke. Being the typical sealed plug, I couldn't repair it so bought a new TRRS jack to connect it to.

Now, I'm confused! The wires are as follows: blue, green, gold, red-sleeved. First off, it's been a PAIN to solder because the only TRRS plug I can find doesn't have the usual tab type solder connectors. It has concentric pins with plastic insulators between each, and those pins did not seem to want to accept solder until I heated them enough to melt the plastic.

Before I soldered it, I tested the wires by touching them to the pins with the plug in my phone playing music. It appeared that blue was left, green - right, gold - ground and red-sleeved - mic. When I soldered it like this, however, it sounded strange. I was getting audio from both channels, but vocals only came from the left channel and the right channel sounded like it had some reverb.

I thought I may have mixed the earth and mic up, so I desoldered and re-soldered those two. This time red-sleeved to ground and gold to mic. Now the audio seems to come equally from both channels, but sounds a bit "dead", very bassy and lacks presence. Also, when I press the pause/call answer button now, the left channel becomes very "present", but the music doesn't pause. I haven't even tested the mic yet!

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,
Marco

Mar 28, 2011 at 7:13 AM Post #3 of 4
Thanks porthillsbomber,

I've been to that link before, but it didn't really help me because that guy had 5 wires where I only have 4. I guess I might just have to dump those iem's and find some new ones unless someone else here knows how to do it. Seems a pity because they sound great and look pretty cool too.

Mar 28, 2011 at 9:18 PM Post #4 of 4
The way I understand it, the second Ring (ie, Tip, Ring 1, Ring 2, Sleeve) is common ground for both the Mic and the headphone audio. In this case, the Mic hot is sleeve.

I don't know the color codes off hand but perhaps you can do a continuity test with the multi-function button (the call accept/hangup button), I believe pressing this shorts the Mic line to ground.

Apologies in advance if this doesn't help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back