iPhone Store Credit
Sep 13, 2007 at 4:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

ingwe

Headphoneus Supremus
A week after Steve's letter and no details as far as I can tell.
frown.gif

Sep 14, 2007 at 12:44 AM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by lextek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you own an iPhone? Maybe something was sent out to owners?

I do own an iPhone. But The Letter specifies that details would be made available on the Apple site "next week."

Sep 14, 2007 at 4:58 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by GSTom1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Details have finally be posted:

Apple iPhone Store Credit

That's why I am never an early adoptor of new technology!

blink.gif

Thanks! Works like a charm: enter phone number and serial number. A form displays with instructions to wait for a text message containing a code. When received (within 20 seconds in my case), enter the code into the form. Print the credit. Bring the credit into the store. Neato!

Sep 14, 2007 at 8:59 PM Post #7 of 15
Oh boy, $100 to spend on more Apple electronics! Never mind that $100 per iPhone is nothing to them, and their hardware doesn't cost much to produce, so this will probably make them more money than they would have made otherwise...

Gee whizz, Jobs is a marketing and business genius, seriously.

Sep 15, 2007 at 2:33 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by OverlordXenu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh boy, $100 to spend on more Apple electronics! Never mind that $100 per iPhone is nothing to them, and their hardware doesn't cost much to produce, so this will probably make them more money than they would have made otherwise...

What's your point?

Sep 15, 2007 at 5:17 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

how do you know their hardware isn't costly to produce?

maybe based on just the materials alone it's not that much more expensive than other comparable products...but apple spends way more in R&D than almost every other computer company...so be sure to factor that in when you figure out the cost.

but i do agree with you that the store credit is a genius marketing move...

Sep 15, 2007 at 3:45 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how do you know their hardware isn't costly to produce?

maybe based on just the materials alone it's not that much more expensive than other comparable products...but apple spends way more in R&D than almost every other computer company...so be sure to factor that in when you figure out the cost.

but i do agree with you that the store credit is a genius marketing move...

Because it cost them less than $300 to make the iPhone (exluding that magical R&D...Oh man, it's so hard to make a mobile version of unix and develop multi-touch and the UI!), and it's not like Apple even has special hardware for their computers anymore. I could probably go and get every component in the average Mac desktop PC, excluding the case, and build it for less. And the OS is what, $150, right? That would be the only thing having some developing going into it...

But yeah, Jobs is a freaking mastermind.

Sep 15, 2007 at 3:57 PM Post #12 of 15
Everyone knew that getting most anything new early is going to cost a premium, so I really didn't understand the uproar in the first place.

People got what they wanted at a cost they thought was fair at the time, only to become discontented in what seems to me to amount to early adopter's remorse at best and petty jealousy at worst.

Sep 15, 2007 at 4:35 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

hardware for their computers anymore. I could probably go and get every component in the average Mac desktop PC, excluding the case, and build it for less. And the OS is what, $150, right? That would be the only thing having some developing going into it...

you can't just build a mac... unless you run hacked software and even then i doubt you'd be able to build one of comparable specs for cheaper, have you ever priced a logic board for a mac? doubt you'll get one of those in the bargain bin at best buy.

--

what are you guys getting with your store credit?

Sep 15, 2007 at 4:44 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmy_t /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you can't just build a mac... unless you run hacked software and even then i doubt you'd be able to build one of comparable specs for cheaper, have you ever priced a logic board for a mac? doubt you'll get one of those in the bargain bin at best buy.

--

what are you guys getting with your store credit?

Actually, yes you can. I can go get comparable parts, if not the same parts, of like an iMac or something (excluding monitor, I guess), and just install OS X on it.

As long as your processor supports SSE3 (is that the right acronym?), you can run OS X on your computer.

It's not like OS X magically only runs on Macs.

Sep 15, 2007 at 5:36 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by bloop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Everyone knew that getting most anything new early is going to cost a premium, so I really didn't understand the uproar in the first place.

People got what they wanted at a cost they thought was fair at the time, only to become discontented in what seems to me to amount to early adopter's remorse at best and petty jealousy at worst.

I posted (twice) previously that I knew what I was getting into, so I wasn't upset with the price drop. BFD.
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back