iphone SE and MQA?
Mar 12, 2019 at 11:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

iridium7777

100+ Head-Fier
it seems that the iphone dac can support higher than 16/44 files, especially if you use something like mconnect app so my question is:

1) for anyone with iphone SE and now that you can get masters on Tidal -- can you actually get master quality straight out of headphone jack, without using something like dragon fly?

2) is there MQA player (that's not tied to Tidal) for iOS? it states that mconnect can play MQA files? Anyone play MQA (non tidal) local files on their SE and get full quality out of them?

May 8, 2019 at 8:23 AM Post #3 of 4
I’m surprised you can differentiate the “downsampled to cd quality” but that was not my question.

My question was whether the se internal dac is able to play 24 but files straight out of the headphone jack, not using any dongles.

Nope. At least the standard apple dongle is not capable of decoding the man files properly. Sounds like downsampled to CD quality or close to there.

May 8, 2019 at 8:39 AM Post #4 of 4
From what I’ve read the dac in the dongle is better than the ones apple was using in their devices for the last 4 or 5 years prior to removing the headphone jack.
That said i would assume the answer to your question would be no.
I know for a fact the the iPhone 6 did not play back 24 bit audio in any way shape or form without an external dac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back