iPhone - Need Help choosing IEMs
Jan 19, 2010 at 6:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Real Maximus

Head-Fier
Hi folks. I am going to sell my ipod 120gb and get an iPhone 3Gs 32gb. I have read on this forum that the iphone is superior to even the 5th and 5.5 gen ipods. Plus, I really want the phone for all of its other apps and features. I can't afford to iMod or even get an external amp at this time. Finances are really tight. The best I can do anytime in the near future is the iphone and IEMs no more than the price of Westone 3s for example.

What are your suggestions for IEMs that are a good match? I have read the iphone is an excellent source player, but is a bit harsh in the upper echelon. I know the triple fis and the W3s are both very detailed in the high end, and am wondering if it is a poor match? The UM3x I have read has less detail in the upper end, and I am wondering if that would soften the weakness in the iphone?

Anyway, all opinions, experiences and suggestions are welcome. Thanks!
o2smile.gif

Jan 19, 2010 at 10:22 AM Post #3 of 9
Dippyboy, thanks for the feedback.
smily_headphones1.gif
Would you mind expounding on your experience with both the UM3 as well as the IE8. My understanding is they both are warmer in the upper frequencies, and I am thinking of going with one of those two IEMs. UM3 vs IE8. Your thoughts?

Jan 19, 2010 at 11:11 AM Post #4 of 9
UM3 sound great direct on the headphone plug.
Need, some hours of burning time before give you the best.

Jan 19, 2010 at 7:20 PM Post #5 of 9
well i haven't tried the UM3X with the iphone but the senn IE8 's bass slam and attack is really good matching with the somewhat flat lower frequency response of the iphone. the treble extension is more than adequate for me and oh the soundstage, that air between the instruments and the vocals is really breathtaking from an iem. but the vocals sound a bit flat (no emphasis) with the IE8.
as we know that the Um3X's treble is a nice compromise between what we call harsh ( analytical) and rolled off , i think it will produce a nice pleasant treble extension with the iphone. the bass with um3x i don't know what kind of bass will you prefer personally. the Um3x is said to have a fairly accurate bass (read not emphasized). IMO the IE8 bass will be more musical ( enjoyable) (custom tuning). the mids vocals will be a bit emphasized with the um3x whereas the IE8's i find quite flat and something more to want here. talk soundstage and its again will be more airy and open with the IE8.

Jan 20, 2010 at 1:48 AM Post #6 of 9
Dippy, thanks for the explanation, that really helps. I wish I could afford to purchase several and try them out for myself, lol. I'll just have to get them one at a time as I can afford them. I am considering the turbine pros, as a possibility as well.

Jan 20, 2010 at 1:13 PM Post #8 of 9
the turbines are said to possess more of a similar sonic characteristic with the IE8. its just that the bass a bit more fine (controlled) with the IE8 and you can expect a bit congested soundstage with the monsters compared to the IE8.

Jan 20, 2010 at 1:52 PM Post #9 of 9
The iPhone HPO is quite good with low hiss and pretty good distortion and separation. It also kicks a good FR, but... it is much better with dynamic earphones than balanced armature. With balanced armature, at least one point in the frequency response will either: implode or explode. When cross overs interact, forget about linear response. For that, you will need an amp.

that said, the machine sounds damn fine, but is best with: IE8, FX500 and the like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back