Iphone +LOD + amp OR Sony X Series?
Mar 17, 2010 at 8:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

gameboy115

Headphoneus Supremus
I like to hear the opinion of combo I stated at the title

Right now, I got kenwood player as my main rig which I spent a little time to compare Sony X series with in Sony Style and found my Kenwood still trumped over it in terms of SQ.

Any one think Iphone +LOD+ AMP combo will win over Sony X sereis?

Mar 17, 2010 at 9:07 PM Post #2 of 21
I'd personally go with the X

what content did you listen to on the X - instore ? what bitrate etc ? or just the stuff on it already ?

I have a Touch - admittadly non-amped - if I do a direct A-B between the 2 instanteously - with same content, the difference sounds fairly slight

but I can listen to music for hours on the X but get tired after a short time with the Touch

Mar 17, 2010 at 9:10 PM Post #3 of 21
I second the X Series. I personally prefer that sound to the oPods sound, which is still an iPod even with an LOD and an amp.

Mar 17, 2010 at 10:24 PM Post #4 of 21
Plus you can also amp the X series now with an LOD apparently. Which means get an X now and then an amp down the line.

Mar 17, 2010 at 11:34 PM Post #5 of 21
I would say it depends on what version iPod and what kind of amp you're going to get. You MIGHT get better sound quality through a LoD and a good amp but that's gonna cost you; I had a 5G Nano with LoD and RSA Tomahawk and loved the sound but IMO it's blown away by the s:flo2.

Mar 18, 2010 at 3:31 AM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd personally go with the X

what content did you listen to on the X - instore ? what bitrate etc ? or just the stuff on it already ?

I have a Touch - admittadly non-amped - if I do a direct A-B between the 2 instanteously - with same content, the difference sounds fairly slight

but I can listen to music for hours on the X but get tired after a short time with the Touch

I listened to something stuff put it there, it should be 320k, but my kenwood was playing wav, to be honest, Sony X sounded fairly good, but I was not impressed as I thought kenwood did better expect bass which I didn't crave for

Quote:

Originally Posted by revolink24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I second the X Series. I personally prefer that sound to the oPods sound, which is still an iPod even with an LOD and an amp.

That is what I worry about

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAQemUP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Plus you can also amp the X series now with an LOD apparently. Which means get an X now and then an amp down the line.

It is good thing to know that sony X is available for another upgrade option just like ipod

Quote:

Originally Posted by Young Spade /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would say it depends on what version iPod and what kind of amp you're going to get. You MIGHT get better sound quality through a LoD and a good amp but that's gonna cost you; I had a 5G Nano with LoD and RSA Tomahawk and loved the sound but IMO it's blown away by the s:flo2.

S:Flo2 blows Sony X series, I can't keep my jaw close. I should keep an eye on it then.

Can you tell me more about S:flo2. What makes you think it is clear winner?

Mar 18, 2010 at 3:40 AM Post #7 of 21
What makes me think it's a clear winner? Well right now I'm listening to an acoustic track and I can hear which way the guitarist is swiping his hand down the guitar and HEAR the individual rivets as his fingers pass over them.
I can hear them move in their seat.
Hear them put their fingers on the neck of the guitar.

Lady Gaga sounds like she's 4 feet away from me.

With the Sherlock Holmes soundtrack (classical by Hans Zimmer), I can hear the exact placement of the instruments in full 3D. Everything is clear.

Of course I'm using a LoD to RSA Tomahawk to re-cabled Triple.Fi 10s...but with a stock cable and switching from my iPod 5G to T51 it's an instant jump in SQ.

But really... check out the review impressions thread of both the T51 and s:flo2 (same player but two different threads).

It's an amazing piece of work.

Mar 18, 2010 at 3:44 AM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by RAQemUP /img/forum/go_quote.gif

would you have a link to this LOD? i'm in the same situation as the OP and would definitely like to explore the sony X if it has a LOD option

thanks!

Mar 18, 2010 at 3:55 AM Post #9 of 21
taobao.com - search sony dock

I can't seem to find the spares for the dock, if not i'd make some to retail hehe

IF not you'd have to shell out a hefty sum for ALO's dock.

Its been out for quite sometime already.

Mar 18, 2010 at 8:49 AM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by nycdoi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i would prefer the iphone rig. i cannot stand the hiss from sony's headphone out

ALO makes a line-out cable. There is also one for sale in China that has been tested.

Mar 19, 2010 at 4:01 AM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Szadzik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ALO makes a line-out cable. There is also one for sale in China that has been tested.

does the line-out eliminates the hiss anyway?
there is no point in buying a X if we use line-out?

Mar 19, 2010 at 4:06 AM Post #13 of 21
Mingo (the shop) from Hong Kong has a Sony LOD as well, they're reliable (if anything they're too pricey), goes for roughly $30USD.

Mar 19, 2010 at 4:26 AM Post #14 of 21
Well an iPhone and a decent LOD is going to be like $1000 vs the Sony X at $500 with a LOD. Plus an amp on top of that, around $350. I would take the X combo unless I NEEDED an all in one phone and mp3 player package.

Mar 19, 2010 at 4:29 AM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by nycdoi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
does the line-out eliminates the hiss anyway?
there is no point in buying a X if we use line-out?

Line out should be cleaner because it bypass the internal DAP's amp to an external AMP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back