iPhone line out cable static w/o Airplane Mode
Nov 4, 2008 at 2:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

spdracer22

New Head-Fier
I put together a line out cable for my iPhone, but I get a lot of static without using Airplane Mode.

I solved some of the problem by using a ferrite bead, but I still get that horrible "cell phone static".

What I'm wondering is if anyone has or has found a solution to this problem. I don't get this same static when I use my Universal Dock.

Any help/suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Nov 4, 2008 at 4:03 PM Post #2 of 6
I've used plenty a LOD on my iPhone without getting any static. Maybe it has to do with the construction of your dock. I don't ever use Airplane Mode either since I don't really need to. Are you using your phone with an amp? I get plenty of that friendly buzzing listening on my tube amps when I get calls and texts, but that's about it.

Nov 4, 2008 at 6:04 PM Post #3 of 6
I didn't use shielded cable. Maybe that's it?

I'm using it with an iBasso D3 amp. I don't get any static whatsoever when I plug in my headphones directly to the headphone jack on the iPhone. However, when I use either my Line out cable, or a patch cable from the headphone jack, to my amp, I get all kinds of static.

If I use my amp/dac with my computer, even when the iPhone is on top of the amp, I don't get any static. So, I'm thinking it's something to do with my cables between the iPhone and amp...?

Nov 4, 2008 at 9:49 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by spdracer22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I use my amp/dac with my computer, even when the iPhone is on top of the amp, I don't get any static. So, I'm thinking it's something to do with my cables between the iPhone and amp...?

How weird, I know when I have my ipod on top of my amp (facing the amp) ill get a hiss. I thought this wouldv'e been the problem... Have you tried it with the ipod not stacked on the amp, or maybe theres a ground issue? I notice if i have my ipod plugged into the car's cigarette lighter I sometimes get a bad connection and it'll hiss on the car's speakers (through the headphone jack). i fix it by unplugging and plugging back in.

Good luck on figuring it out!
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 5, 2008 at 12:11 AM Post #5 of 6
It's called "GSM" buzz and when your iPhone is normally operating on "3G" its not a problem, but when your phone switches down to GSM you'll hear a buzz when placed near a speaker or microphone. It's really common with BlackBerrys as well.

Nov 5, 2008 at 2:22 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by bmwpowere36m3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's called "GSM" buzz and when your iPhone is normally operating on "3G" its not a problem, but when your phone switches down to GSM you'll hear a buzz when placed near a speaker or microphone. It's really common with BlackBerrys as well.

Which is what happens. If the phone is in non-3G mode:

a. I get the "GSM buzz" when using either a line-out cable OR a headphone patch cable to my amp.

b. I do not get the same buzz when I connect the headphones directly to the iPhone.

c. I have the same problem when trying to use the same patch cable in a car with an aux-in.

Which, I understand this is a problem that's been around for ages...but where I get confused is that the problem doesn't happen when using headphones directly, but does happen when using the headphones with my amp; shouldn't I get the same buzz without the amp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back