Al4x

Headphoneus Supremus
is the iphones SQ really bad,

i only hav e it and a 1g nano.

im using a line out adapter from sendstation so i dont need to use the jack

is it the same as whats in the touch?

would appreciate some views.

Jan 19, 2008 at 6:10 AM Post #3 of 16
its not even on the 3g network either, and only has 8 gbs... im not really sure its much lighter than just carrying a small flip phone and an mp3 player with like 80 gigs.

if u really need a smart phone and dont want to carry a seperate music player it seems like a good choice, but just wait until they release a 16 gb 3g iphone.... it will probably be slimmer too

Jan 20, 2008 at 10:51 AM Post #4 of 16
iPhone has been getting mixed reviews...
i havent bought one yet...
i was waiting for the Zune 3 to come out...
wink.gif

Jan 20, 2008 at 3:14 PM Post #6 of 16
I did a back and forth comparison between the iPhone and 5.5 G iPod with Etymotic ER-4P earphones and I couldn't tell much of a difference. Of course, if you think the iPod sounds bad the you will think the same about the iPhone. They both use the same Wolfson DAC so there should not be much difference. The Zune uses a different Wolfson chip but it has the same sound specs ie THD & SNR. The iPhone has more complex circuitry than the Zune or iPod so that could potentially have an effect on the sound quality but I would hope the iphone engineers separated the audio path from everything else as much as possible.

Jan 21, 2008 at 8:02 AM Post #7 of 16
I can't speak for the audio quality, but after having had to live with a Windows Mobile phone for the last 9 months (absolutely THE worst electronic device I've ever owned, I actually HATE it in the true sense of the word), I can't wait to get an iPhone or Blackberry. For me the appeal of the iPhone is that I don't have to carry an MP3 player and a smartphone, and after 18 months it turns out to be cheaper than a Blackberry. I don't do my critical listening when I'm on the go, so some differences in SQ don't matter to me.

Jan 21, 2008 at 6:19 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by QQQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds like ipods are meant for h-e audio...

confused.gif
No, the iPod is meant for portability, not quality.

Jan 21, 2008 at 6:55 PM Post #10 of 16
The iPHone sound quality is good, plain and simple. Look at my sig...I know what good (and great) sounds like. I was actually expecting way worse than it was. It did blow me away, the sound is not iMod...but it is definitely acceptable for walking around campus and what not. I would compare it to a 5G ipod....

Jan 21, 2008 at 7:13 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by wgr73 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know what good (and great) sounds like.

The only amp you have is a Tomahawk. How do you know what great sounds like then? Have you ever heard a tube amp or even a SS home amp?

Jan 21, 2008 at 7:17 PM Post #12 of 16
Thats the only amp I have (other than my digital theater system). I have a friend who has a plethora of amps...I have heard the above amps.

Jan 22, 2008 at 3:31 PM Post #13 of 16
I didn't think I'd like the touch interface but I was using a friends iPod Touch and really it works very well. But I still think you need buttons on some devices if you use them in your pocket.

Jan 22, 2008 at 3:39 PM Post #14 of 16
+1

Living with a blackberry and a blackjack for the past 2 years the iphone as been perfect upgrade. Hated carrying an ipod and phone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dgbiker1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't speak for the audio quality, but after having had to live with a Windows Mobile phone for the last 9 months (absolutely THE worst electronic device I've ever owned, I actually HATE it in the true sense of the word), I can't wait to get an iPhone or Blackberry. For me the appeal of the iPhone is that I don't have to carry an MP3 player and a smartphone, and after 18 months it turns out to be cheaper than a Blackberry. I don't do my critical listening when I'm on the go, so some differences in SQ don't matter to me.

Jan 22, 2008 at 3:50 PM Post #15 of 16
I have a Touch. The SQ is pretty bad. But amped out of the headphone jack it is acceptable with my tomahawk>denons.

With a LOD, I think it will become a pretty solid sounding audio setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back