iPhone/iPad, computer or other source device?
Apr 8, 2016 at 8:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

ymc226

Head-Fier
Just setting up my first headphone system and would like to see how people set up their actual source.

My situation is that I'm at work until late so will listen to this set up at night while in bed while my wife is watching TV next to me.  Otherwise, won't ever see my family which is not good.

I've picked out my set up:  

• headphones:  Beyerdynamic T5p 2nd gen with custom 15 foot extension (already bought)
  • DAC: Woo Audio WDS-1  (already bought)
  • amp:  Woo Audio WA-5LE (didn't order yet as don't know if I will upgrade components yet)

The system will fit on my nightstand which is quite large (DAC on top, amp on wide bottom shelf) but I would like to know if an iPad/iPhone attached via a camera connection kit and USB to the DAC will work and is there any difference in quality compared to a MacBook Pro going straight to the DAC.  Having the laptop attached will make things more unwieldy but I'd like to optimize quality as well.

Are there other sources you would recommend to store and stream the music that would fit at the bedside and be relatively easy to control in terms of changing tunes.

Apr 8, 2016 at 2:30 PM Post #3 of 4
You can use WDS-1 with Apple iOS devices. Just need to pick up this Apple adapter + high quality USB cable. *** it is important to buy this adapter from Apple only. There are a TON of counterfeits on the web.

We recommend Nordost USB cable if you don't already have a good quality USB cable.

http://www.nordost.com/usb-cables.php

TIDAL on iOS is good sounding streaming service. Try for free for 30 days.

http://tidal.com/us

Apr 8, 2016 at 3:00 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ymc226 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just setting up my first headphone system and would like to see how people set up their actual source.

I have some flexibility with microSD cards though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ymc226 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My situation is that I'm at work until late so will listen to this set up at night while in bed while my wife is watching TV next to me.  Otherwise, won't ever see my family which is not good.

I've picked out my set up:  

• headphones:  Beyerdynamic T5p 2nd gen with custom 15 foot extension (already bought)
  • DAC: Woo Audio WDS-1  (already bought)
  • amp:  Woo Audio WA-5LE (didn't order yet as don't know if I will upgrade components yet)

I'm not too sure how well a closed circumaural can isolate the sound of the TV though. I have a semi-closed circumaural on my gaming rig and I can hear my radiator fan at the exhaust slot when it ramps up to compensate for hot temps (hotter climate means I start at a higher ambient temp). That's around 32dB - a TV would be at least 60dB.

Quote:

The system will fit on my nightstand which is quite large (DAC on top, amp on wide bottom shelf) but I would like to know if an iPad/iPhone attached via a camera connection kit and USB to the DAC will work and is there any difference in quality compared to a MacBook Pro going straight to the DAC. 

If all the files don't have compatibility issues (in which case they either don't work, or you do on-the-fly resampling, which can add noise due to errors) then there won't be any appreciable difference. Note that some apps like Neutron Music Player have very good DSP features that can allow for a tablet or smartphone to sound better than a laptop for a lot less money than a similar program for laptops/desktop computers, at least if you know what you're doing.

Quote:
Are there other sources you would recommend to store and stream the music that would fit at the bedside and be relatively easy to control in terms of changing tunes.

Network music servers like the Cocktail Audio X12 (has an internal HDD slot; you can buy adapters for mounting a 2.5in SSD) or Aune S1, or those slightly larger units from Marantz, Yamaha, etc. If the Network function is enabled it allows for access to a NAS on the same network and in some cases streaming music from the internet as well. That Network feature also allows the use of remote apps on smartphone and tablets, basically allowing the network player manufacturer to use a cheap screen to get you set-up but once that's done you can use the tablet/smartphone and browse contents with a touch screen interface.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back