iPhone iem narrowed to these 3...help me pick
May 29, 2009 at 5:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

CallMeZsaZsa

Head-Fier
Since I won't need iem with mic all that often, I don't want to spend a lot on a pair (I plan to keep these iem in my car/purse and use better iem at home with my ipod)

Ive narrowed it to:

--Radius Atomic bass (can get for $38)
--nuforce ne7m (can get for $49)
--Lenntek Sonix 3g (can get for $60)

need:
--not totally sound isolating since I have kids and need to hear them
--fit well in small ear canal
--have a well balanced sound (dont need tons of bass) and want it to work well for a variety of music (pop, rock, some classical and some hip hop)
--not suffer from a lot of microphonics...I'm always on the move with the kids and can't have something that constantly has cable thump

Really want to order something today and need to make up my darn mind! Hate not being able to try things in person

thanks so much!

May 29, 2009 at 5:59 PM Post #2 of 11
Besides the nuforce, I doubt many people have heard the other two.

It seems that ADDIEM (Apple Dual Driver In-Ear Monitors for long) would fit most of your requirements, besides the microphonics issue (you may be able to remedy this to an extent with a shirt clip). They can be easily had in the $50-80 range if you look around.

May 29, 2009 at 6:01 PM Post #3 of 11
Actually, ADDIEM on sale for $35 on ebay. The "used" version that has not really been used (no box).

I agree, the ADDIEM is an excellent choice for low cost, fairly high quality iPhone IEM, especially if the OP gets some Sony hybrid silicone sleeves (the stock ones don't always work for people, and can fall out or break the seal too easily).

May 29, 2009 at 6:04 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by K_19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Besides the nuforce, I doubt many people have heard the other two.

It seems that ADDIEM (Apple Dual Driver In-Ear Monitors for long) would fit most of your requirements, besides the microphonics issue (you may be able to remedy this to an extent with a shirt clip). They can be easily had in the $50-80 range if you look around.

I was just going to come in here and suggest the Apples. They seem to fit the sound and features you want. Plus you get all the nice extra features like a mic. Of the three you listed I've only tried the NE-7Ms which I found to be quite disappointing. I had similar wants/needs as you and was much more impressed with the Apples. Unfortunately, I had to return the Apples as well as I couldn't get a good fit with the stock tips or the suggested tips to replace those. I think I paid about $72 for them at Amazon which was a little cheaper than most places and gives you the Amazon 30 day return policy to return them if you aren't satisfied.

May 29, 2009 at 6:08 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by AZ Greg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was just going to come in here and suggest the Apples. They seem to fit the sound and features you want. Plus you get all the nice extra features like a mic. Of the three you listed I've only tried the NE-7Ms which I found to be quite disappointing. I had similar wants/needs as you and was much more impressed with the Apples. Unfortunately, I had to return the Apples as well as I couldn't get a good fit with the stock tips or the suggested tips to replace those. I think I paid about $72 for them at Amazon which was a little cheaper than most places and gives you the Amazon 30 day return policy to return them if you aren't satisfied.

what didnt you like about the ne-7ms?
For the apples, were the tips too small, too large? I want to find something a little smaller than what Im used to (have ety E6 now)

May 29, 2009 at 6:28 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by CallMeZsaZsa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For the apples, were the tips too small, too large? I want to find something a little smaller than what Im used to (have ety E6 now)

It was a couple things with the NE-7Ms. First was the quality. I wasn't too big a fan of the "gummy-ish" cord. Also, I went through two pairs as my first pair was defective, but each pair had a slit in the cord just below the "V" part of the "Y" cable. It didn't seem to cause any sound problems and I wouldn't have a problem with a pair of my own headphones if I caused a slit like this. But there was just something about having the slit in both pairs straight out of the box. I was just afraid that like a small moth hole in a shirt that leads to a big hole down the road, the same would be the case for these IEMs.

The other problem was with the sound. I'm not really as hardcore as some of the guys here so I can't describe exactly like they would, but I wanted a detailed accurate sound especially since I was going to be using my pair a lot with videos. But the vocals of the NE-7Ms have a weird sound to them. Almost as if the vocals are hollow and further away than they should be. I will say this though, Nuforce has excellent customer service. When my first pair was defective they got me a replacement sent within a couple of days and when I decided I wasn't satisfied with the IEMs they refunded me my money with no issue. I will always keep them in mind simply for that.

With regards to the fit of the Apples, I simply think it had more to do with my ears than the IEMs themselves. I used the medium tips and they fit perfectly in my left ear but were too big for my right ear. On the other hand, the smalls were too small. I tried the Sony hybrid tips which fit perfectly on the Apples and come with 4 sizes for like 8 bucks (SS, S, M, L). Had the same issue. M worked on my left ear but was too big for the right. S was again too small. I've read cases of people here using two different size tips for each of their ears but until the Apples I never had this problem with IEMs/Canalphones. I was able to use medium tips on my Creative EP-640s, NE-7Ms, and Denon AH-C551s. So maybe it was an issue with the build of the Apples, I don't know. But if you can find a good fit with the stock tips or the other recommended tips then I can say you will enjoy them.

May 29, 2009 at 6:47 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by CallMeZsaZsa /img/forum/go_quote.gif

the Apple tips come in S M and L, and one may fit you just right. They are bulb shaped, and much more comfy that er6i sleeves (which go in much deeper, from my Ety experience). Also, I use the large Sony Hybrid tips, $8.99 from Amazon, and they are a great match for me with the ADDIEMs.

May 29, 2009 at 6:50 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by AZ Greg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It was a couple things with the NE-7Ms. First was the quality. I wasn't too big a fan of the "gummy-ish" cord. Also, I went through two pairs as my first pair was defective, but each pair had a slit in the cord just below the "V" part of the "Y" cable. It didn't seem to cause any sound problems and I wouldn't have a problem with a pair of my own headphones if I caused a slit like this. But there was just something about having the slit in both pairs straight out of the box. I was just afraid that like a small moth hole in a shirt that leads to a big hole down the road, the same would be the case for these IEMs.

The other problem was with the sound. I'm not really as hardcore as some of the guys here so I can't describe exactly like they would, but I wanted a detailed accurate sound especially since I was going to be using my pair a lot with videos. But the vocals of the NE-7Ms have a weird sound to them. Almost as if the vocals are hollow and further away than they should be. I will say this though, Nuforce has excellent customer service. When my first pair was defective they got me a replacement sent within a couple of days and when I decided I wasn't satisfied with the IEMs they refunded me my money with no issue. I will always keep them in mind simply for that.

With regards to the fit of the Apples, I simply think it had more to do with my ears than the IEMs themselves. I used the medium tips and they fit perfectly in my left ear but were too big for my right ear. On the other hand, the smalls were too small. I tried the Sony hybrid tips which fit perfectly on the Apples and come with 4 sizes for like 8 bucks (SS, S, M, L). Had the same issue. M worked on my left ear but was too big for the right. S was again too small. I've read cases of people here using two different size tips for each of their ears but until the Apples I never had this problem with IEMs/Canalphones. I was able to use medium tips on my Creative EP-640s, NE-7Ms, and Denon AH-C551s. So maybe it was an issue with the build of the Apples, I don't know. But if you can find a good fit with the stock tips or the other recommended tips then I can say you will enjoy them.

X2 on the NE-7Ms. My first pair went bad (clicker went nuts) and I wasn't happy with the SQ or fit, but they are big faves on Head-Fi. Just not for me. And NuForce does have great CS.

May 29, 2009 at 6:58 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the Apple tips come in S M and L, and one may fit you just right. They are bulb shaped, and much more comfy that er6i sleeves (which go in much deeper, from my Ety experience). Also, I use the large Sony Hybrid tips, $8.99 from Amazon, and they are a great match for me with the ADDIEMs.

ok, thanks...I'll check those out
I actually have the er6 (not the er6i) and I dont mind the tips going in deeper, its just that they are too wide (can't get the baby blue smaller tips for the er6, just the er6i
frown.gif
)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back