iPhone drawbacks?
Nov 13, 2011 at 9:19 PM Post #16 of 18
To be honest I had a Dell Axim X51v that I loved before I got my iphone.  I used it for tons of movies,music,video game emulators (NES,SNES,Sega,PS1, Neo Geo,Neo Geo pocket,coleco,etc), maps,comics,books,newsreader,translation programs,office editor, online radio,etc.  So I'm probably in the minority, but I'm one of the few people that would like to do this with my iphone...

Quote:
I didn't know there were so many with broken glass. I haven't experienced that. About ten members of my family carry iPhones and we haven't had one broken yet.
I bought one of the original iPhones for $600 a few weeks after they were released. I've had an iPhone on me every day of my life since. No failures, no problems. My current iPhone is a 4. Using it right now, even.
People make a big stink over the closed platform. I don't see it as a problem. It hasn't affected functionality at all. It does everything I want. On the other end of that spectrum, I run Linux on a desktop. If I want to tweak, I can do anything. But, thing is, the stock distro works fine. If, somehow, I woke up tomorrow morning and my distro was locked down, it would still be 100% functional for my needs. As a philosophical point, total freedom sounds ideal. But how much are you really going to do with it? I have total freedom with Linux, and I don't really use it. So, to me, restrictions on an iPhone aren't a big deal. I have better things to do than recompile the kernel for a phone. (To keep the discussion under control, I'm all for freedom of speech, etc. And I'm a lawyer - don't get me started on that stuff. A smartphone has nothing to do with civil rights.)
As for actual flaws, I don't like iPhones for long telephone conversations. They're hard to hold and get uncomfortable. The old RAZR I had (original model) was much better as a telephone. But I don't make too many phone calls and I'm planning to get a landline (
eek.gif
) soon. I have a small collection ofnold rotary phones that I want to start using. Now those were engineered to be held comfortably for long conversations and I will use them for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back