iPhone convert help
May 30, 2011 at 11:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

thesparkman

New Head-Fier
So I have a library full of 320kbps AAC VBR music. I want to convert it all to lossless for my iPod classic, but my iPhone doesn't have enough space. So you know that option in the summary screen of the iPhone in iTunes that says: convert higher quality music to 128kbps AAC. Is there a way to change that option to convert stuff to 320kbps AAC VBR?

May 30, 2011 at 12:09 PM Post #3 of 6
Okay here's how things work. You have a source file (in your CD), you chip off bits to get your file down to a decent size by removing */kbps from it, and once you've done so you cannot retrieve those bits back. All the files you have are essentially compressed, and there is no way of un-compressing them. Welcome to head-fi, by the way :)

May 30, 2011 at 8:33 PM Post #4 of 6
yeah thanks guys. I tried converting a few to lossless and there's absolutely no change. is there any way to do it short of purchasing everything new from an online site in lossless? like is there any correct way to convert it or is it just not possible?

May 30, 2011 at 8:48 PM Post #5 of 6

Quote:
yeah thanks guys. I tried converting a few to lossless and there's absolutely no change. is there any way to do it short of purchasing everything new from an online site in lossless? like is there any correct way to convert it or is it just not possible?

You could always convert your MP3/AAC or whatever compressed file formats to loseless (AIFF/WAV/M4a), but you do NOT get any improvement in sound quality, or even worse, potentially (depending on which converting software/ decoder your are using). Consider the significant amount of disk size loseless will occupy, I really don't know why you'd like to do this. IMHO you could just keep your AAC library.

May 31, 2011 at 4:08 AM Post #6 of 6

Quote:

I've recently had the same problem, the only way to get a good quality file is to start again from a high quality source. Luckily only 5% of mine were purchased online.

dbpoweramp works well for converting, and also has a good quality CD ripper. As said previously though if you convert aac to lossless all you gain is a larger file with no audio advantages.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back