iPhone controls, better isolation & soundstage than ECCI PR401?
Jan 6, 2014 at 6:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

wysinawyg

New Head-Fier
I currently use a pair of ECCI PR401 which I bought after researching head-fi.org and am generally pleased with the sound signature. (see (2C27) of http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-308-iems-compared-rbh-ep1-added-01-01-14-p-836 ). I also like how compact the housings are.

1. Despite using Comply Ts400 foams with these buds and getting a good seal, I do wish isolation was better especially on flights.
2. Secondly, I do wish there was a more out-of-head presentation (I think that means wider and deeper soundstage?).
3. And thirdly, a 3-button remote would be great.

Is there anything out there for under $150 that can meet these criteria? I've searched all over here and read many many reviews but have yet to find anything. I'm open to try a slightly different sound signature although I do know that my preference tends to be for

a) deep, impactful (but clean) bass so something too analytical probably would lack body to my ears
b) bright, clear, sparkly but non-sibilant trebles so nothing too warm and dark cause that would probably come across lifeless and lacking in detail to me
c) mids are relatively lower priority for me as long as vocals are lush, musical and have life and texture

Am I asking too much? :)

Jan 7, 2014 at 1:37 AM Post #3 of 4
Am I asking too much? :)

lol - yes.

I might try the Shure SE215 - but it doesn't have iphone controls.

Some of your requirements are in conflict with one another. Typically, the greater the isolation, the narrower the soundstage. It makes sense - if you close off the sound to be inside your head, then it will also tend to sound inside your head. The sound you describe would be wonderful - it also sounds pretty close to the description every headphone engineer would use to describe their ideal sound. I suspect you'll need to make some compromises in there somewhere.

For example, the SE215 has excellent isolation, has nice bass and generally sounds very good - but I wouldn't call the highs "bright, clear and sparkly".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back