iPhone battery conservation when using amps
Mar 21, 2013 at 8:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

iLikeItInTheEar

New Head-Fier
Hi - Given that a lot of us use iPhones as our source, I was wondering if anyone's run tests comparing listening to an iPhone without an amp and again but with an amp...?

I'm awaiting delivery of my first portable amp and was wondering whether my iPhone will work less and save battery power by using an amp thereby bypassing the on board iPhone amp?

Mar 23, 2013 at 1:44 AM Post #2 of 6
Quote:
Hi - Given that a lot of us use iPhones as our source, I was wondering if anyone's run tests comparing listening to an iPhone without an amp and again but with an amp...?

I'm awaiting delivery of my first portable amp and was wondering whether my iPhone will work less and save battery power by using an amp thereby bypassing the on board iPhone amp?

Best I understand about such devices is technically you do not bypass the amp, since the amp and DAC on mobile devices are a single chip. Basically, it's a DAC designed to output a signal that can drive earphones, including a digital potentiometer. Depending on the device some might have some kind of circuit after the DAC to allow for a lineout signal, but that's probably just the Classic. I wouldn't bet on a smartphone having such a circuit.

A more relevant device would be a portable DAC-Amp. You bypass the integrated chip, however you'd be using the other chips to stream audio out through its dock/usb, so the question is whether the integrated audio chip uses more power than the USB chip.

BTW some iDevice DACs (with an amp or not) might have a charging circuit on the input port like the HRT iStreamer, but the 12v versio is still too bulky to use on the go given the size of the battery pack it'll use.

Mar 23, 2013 at 5:03 AM Post #3 of 6
That's interesting PM. I enjoyed reading that.

I'm new to the scene and all but it does surprise me that I don't see more high end LOD cables that are 2 way splitters for example line out for audio and USB for charging the iDevice.

I've already ordered the C&C BH portable amp which is not a DAC. I know it's not the end of the world but if playing via a portable amp is no more efficient on the iDevice battery it just means you need to stop listening to music to recharge the device. I'll have to get some ALAC files on my iPhone and just see if its going to be an issue when listening to music at work sometimes for 6-8 hours a day.

Mar 26, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:
So what is the difference between using a LOD cable and using the headphone out?

I'm 99% sure you do bypass it. The headphone amp should certainly not be connected to the dock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back