iPhone as a source = it sounds like @$$
Jul 15, 2007 at 5:22 AM Post #31 of 49
It's very surprise. The iphone should become a gd dtuff for music playback.But wt the thing come out is the iphone is awful.
mad.gif

Jul 15, 2007 at 9:45 PM Post #32 of 49
Also I want to remind you guys that when you use your iphone along with your 5g ipod, the ipod will freak out. It will start changing the volume, and so all sorts of strange things. I was doing an A/B test with the iPod/iPhone and suddenly my iPod started to change volume, and it was an increase, and I has my customs IEM on which makes it hard to take it off right away, good thing I god my volume limiter on, or i may had ear injury, so be careful!

Jul 15, 2007 at 11:11 PM Post #33 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by rx7_fan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also I want to remind you guys that when you use your iphone along with your 5g ipod, the ipod will freak out. It will start changing the volume, and so all sorts of strange things. I was doing an A/B test with the iPod/iPhone and suddenly my iPod started to change volume, and it was an increase, and I has my customs IEM on which makes it hard to take it off right away, good thing I god my volume limiter on, or i may had ear injury, so be careful!

This is because in the 5/5.5G of iPods Apple made their own clickwheel to cut down on costs. In that effect, the clickwheel is not "protected" from most cell phone radio activity nearby.

The best remedy is to put the iPod on its hold switch.

Jul 16, 2007 at 8:11 PM Post #34 of 49
I too throught the iPhone sounded like crap... until I went into the options and discovered that "Sound Check" was on. So much better now, one of the best iPods I've heard yet. Not as good as the Zune, but really darn close.

Jul 17, 2007 at 5:55 PM Post #35 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I too throught the iPhone sounded like crap... until I went into the options and discovered that "Sound Check" was on. So much better now, one of the best iPods I've heard yet. Not as good as the Zune, but really darn close.

Hey, you're right! It does sound better with the sound check off. Thanks!
580smile.gif

Jul 17, 2007 at 8:56 PM Post #36 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by catachresis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It’s a travesty of a mockery of a sham of a mockery of a travesty of two mockeries of a sham.

biggrin.gif

Anyway, maybe the Shure Music Phone Adapter will sound good?

Jul 17, 2007 at 10:27 PM Post #37 of 49
Quote:

Hey, you're right! It does sound better with the sound check off. Thanks!
580smile.gif

Yeah, isn't that really strange? I have no idea what that is supposed to do... I think it's supposed to equalize all your music to be at the same volume, but it doesn't even do that properly. I guess someone at Apple just REALLY hates dynamic sound, and demanded a switch to instantly shut it off.

Oh, I've also performed a nifty little re-cable with the pack-in-with-a-mic headphones... they're now KSC-35s with a white cable and microphone. Awesome. Though I look totally crazy talking to myself while wearing black Koss clipons now...

Jul 18, 2007 at 2:47 AM Post #38 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, isn't that really strange? I have no idea what that is supposed to do... I think it's supposed to equalize all your music to be at the same volume, but it doesn't even do that properly. I guess someone at Apple just REALLY hates dynamic sound, and demanded a switch to instantly shut it off.

Oh, I've also performed a nifty little re-cable with the pack-in-with-a-mic headphones... they're now KSC-35s with a white cable and microphone. Awesome. Though I look totally crazy talking to myself while wearing black Koss clipons now...

Dare I say use Sony EX71SL White?

Jul 18, 2007 at 4:09 AM Post #39 of 49
Quote:

Dare I say use Sony EX71SL White?

Oh hells no. I used the KSC35 for a reason... they rock.

So, is the sound up to par now that you've spent some time with it without the "suck" mode?

Jul 18, 2007 at 9:19 PM Post #42 of 49
Re: Belkin headphone adapter

You're joking right? This is short, passive connector. Unless for some reason they use really, really crappy contacts I don't see how it could possibly impact SQ.

Jul 18, 2007 at 10:52 PM Post #43 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Britbonic /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You're joking right? This is short, passive connector. Unless for some reason they use really, really crappy contacts I don't see how it could possibly impact SQ.

Any extra break in the signal is bad news. Testing it back and fourth with even my KSC35s, you can tell it's not the best. I'm really hoping there's something of better quality and flex soon.

Jul 18, 2007 at 11:31 PM Post #44 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Britbonic /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think we determine that it was the "sound check" but even if it's a short connection it can modify the sound. For example, if you have an interconnect that is silver, you will probably get more treble, even if the wire is short.

-Andy

Jul 19, 2007 at 8:11 PM Post #45 of 49
Understand. In fact, I've been using sound check for years on iPod and iPhone. Just turned it off and wow if makes a huge difference! Who knew?! I suppose it should have been obvious that this was compression.

Also understand that a even a short connector can make a difference. I just don't think in this cases it's that significant since you're coming out of the headphone jack as opposed to line out jack. I've actually been very happy with the sound of my iPhone with UM2s. Just used for long trip and was pleasantly surprised with the setup. There are other options on the way but the Belkin thing is the only current option short of modifying your cables. I really think apple should have included an adapter in the box given the number of people who use non Apple headphones.

The real bummer is that the iPhone doesn't seem to work with any lineout connectors except the docking station. Am dieing to try with my Tomahawk and UM2s. Has anyone found something that works? I've got an ALO, Slik, Sendstation - nada. I don't think the pinouts are different, as some have suggested. I just think there must be some handshaking that needs to take place in order to enable the output pins.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back