iPhone as a source = it sounds like @$$
Jul 12, 2007 at 5:14 AM Post #16 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by threepointone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hiss? that's exactly what happens when you try to load a phone, mp3 player, camera, internet, wifi, ginormous screen, and every other imaginable piece of crap onto a 4.5×2.4×0.46 block of metal and plastic.

this stuff-everything-into-one device trend is really getting on my nerves. It seems as if every new generation of products these days gets worse and worse at doing what they're meant to do.

Hmm this "hiss" happens a lot, usually when you have low impedence phones like IEMs. I'm sure if he use headphones with mid impedance, there will be no hiss.

Jul 12, 2007 at 2:11 PM Post #19 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by rx7_fan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the Shure E4, UE5customs, and Triple.fi 10 Pro; and whatever i throw at the iphone, it sounds like @$$. The sound is terrible compare to my ipod. Does anyone else have the same problem? Any ideas?

It's an 8gb iPhone and i bought it to replace my 30gb ipod, but damn does it sound like ass.

-Andy

It's a phone. Did you not expect there to be any design tradeoffs? Are phones *really* audiophile now (besides what marketeering/imagineering says)?

Jul 12, 2007 at 2:58 PM Post #20 of 49
Sonics of the ipod leave me cold. My Rio Cali is much more to my liking. If I didn't own a MacBook Pro, I doubt I'd keep the ipod. Well....it was a gift so I had little choice. It serves the purpose of making some tunes during travel, but for critical listening? Nah...not even close. After thinking about how I would really be using the ipod and in your case, the iPhone, I decided that it was just the way things are. The iPhone will make music. Might not be the greatest, but it gets the job done when away from the main setup. Fills a gap for me. Not much else. JMO

Jul 12, 2007 at 3:27 PM Post #21 of 49
I really think the original poster may have something wrong with either the iphone or something in the chain.

It sounds virtually identical to my second gen nano and I have used it with ety er4p's. shure 500 and superfi pros.

Now i know that there are those here that think all ipods are not good sounding; I dont agree, but that's not what I am answering

Jul 12, 2007 at 7:27 PM Post #22 of 49
I'm not quite sure your reasons are necessarily that great, buy something because it is a good product, not for superficial reasons like that.
Quote:

Originally Posted by catachresis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Who made Tetris the gripping game of free-falling geometrically-shaped carnage that it is today.
Alexey Pajitnov and popularized by Nintendo...

Who makes Intel-based computers that AREN'T sold by Dell (Dell totally sucks!) but ARE sold in stores that sell mobile phones?
Seeing as how almost every electronics store sells mobile phones and computers I don't see why that is a selling point

Well, they didn't INVENT the one button mouse, but they made it the design icon that it is today.
Debate still out on whether that is actually a good thing...

What company is SO VISIONARY that not only does Steve Jobs run everything but Al Gore -- the senator from Tennessee who invented the internet and global warming -- is a CEO?
Al Gore did not invent the internet. And I guess we should congratulate him on creating global warming?
blink.gif
Al Gore is on the board, there is only one CEO.

I'm sick of all those Microsux lamerz telling me it's all just arbitrary brand-loyalty. It's not about style! -It's a revolution! A whole new way of interfacing with the dominant paradigm! It's MTV, or Pepsi Max or Tom Selleck guest-starring on Friends! It's like it's torture if you do it a Loan Manager at the Credit Union, but not if he's an enemy-combatant. It's a travesty. It’s a travesty of a mockery of a sham of a mockery of a travesty of two mockeries of a sham.

Interesting, all words used by marketing.

Jul 13, 2007 at 4:18 AM Post #25 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by aphexii /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what about through the line out jack via dock connector?

I tried the SIK adapter which I use to connect an iPod to a Hornet. With the iPhone it doesn't work. There have been changes to the dock connector's line-out and I don't have an adapter that works.

The "Airplane" mode is supposed to solve this, but not so with the SIK. Airplane mode turns off the cellular, WiFi, and Bluetooth circuits. But I don't hear any interference with them on.

Through the headphone out, the sound is as good as I've heard from an iPod.

Jul 13, 2007 at 8:05 AM Post #26 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by saronian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tried the SIK adapter which I use to connect an iPod to a Hornet. With the iPhone it doesn't work. There have been changes to the dock connector's line-out and I don't have an adapter that works.

The "Airplane" mode is supposed to solve this, but not so with the SIK. Airplane mode turns off the cellular, WiFi, and Bluetooth circuits. But I don't hear any interference with them on.

Through the headphone out, the sound is as good as I've heard from an iPod.

Use the iPod Dock it will work for a line-out, but suprisingly you can also control the volume of the iPhone when using the dock's line out. Maybe it's not a true line out

Jul 13, 2007 at 3:54 PM Post #27 of 49
Thanks for the reminder, I haven't even touched the dock yet.

You're right the recent iPods also have attenuation on the line out. Full volume is supposed to be equivalent of line out. I'll test it and see what it sounds like.

Jul 14, 2007 at 9:20 PM Post #28 of 49
Well I tried the iPhone Dock and there is no volume control. None of the iPhone controls have an effect on the line out.

Additionally the sound is noticeably better than the line out from my 5G iPod.

5G to Hornet using SIK adapter sounds good.

iPhone to Hornet using Dock's line out has smoother highs, and better defined bass with slightly more impact.

Don't have an explanation for why Andy's iPhone sounds so bad.

Scott

Jul 14, 2007 at 9:25 PM Post #29 of 49
What did you all expect? The Iphone has been overrated all along.

Jul 14, 2007 at 9:46 PM Post #30 of 49
I have no idea what the OP is talking about, my iPhone works just fine through the dock to my PA2V2 for listening with my A900's and on the go it's just like any other 5.5g iPod, it's the same hardware...

I don't get any hiss at all; not in my car, not on the phone, not listening to music, not ever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back