iPhone Adapater?
Oct 15, 2007 at 2:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Xiode

100+ Head-Fier
I've been away from the head-fi community for quite some time now (thanks to college apps and standardized tests galore), but I picked up an iPhone a couple of weeks ago and haven't gotten around to modifying it in such a way that would allow me to use some decent headphones. I can't take the stock Apple earbuds anymore! To my dissatisfaction, the jack didn't work with my UE Super.Fi's or KC-75's. Is anyone around the forums crafting some custom adapters, or are third-party vendors the way to go? I was possibly considering some new earbuds anyway, so are there any that are compatible right out of the box?

Thanks in advance!

Oct 15, 2007 at 4:00 AM Post #2 of 8
UEs are a quick mod. Take a razor blade to the ring of plastic below the jack and cut it off. Try not to cut too deep because there's a layer of heat shrink (I think) that you want to leave in place.

I've done two sets so far and I'm by no means mechanically inclined.

Nov 3, 2007 at 2:41 PM Post #4 of 8
Can one answer the iPhone using regular headphones? In other words hit the iPhone answer button, listen through the headphones and talk into the iPhone mouthpiece?

Nov 5, 2007 at 2:29 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by cooperpwc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can one answer the iPhone using regular headphones? In other words hit the iPhone answer button, listen through the headphones and talk into the iPhone mouthpiece?

yes

Nov 5, 2007 at 8:15 PM Post #6 of 8
Interesting thing to want to do...I (finally) tracked down the Shure MPA and use it....I didnt want to spend the extra money after Jobsie got me for $600, but I wanted to use my headphones and be able to use some sort of microphone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooperpwc /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Nov 6, 2007 at 1:03 PM Post #8 of 8
I followed this guide to modify my iPhone earbuds:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLzs5aHv3jI

I soldered on some Sony in ear buds to the iPhone wire... Now they fit comfortably in my ears and sound much better!

I'm using modified Shure Yellow Foamies on the Sony buds too, great isolation and comfort... Plus the ability to answer/end calls and pause/restart songs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back