iPhone 6 (& Plus) & iOS 8 Sound Quality Discussion
Sep 20, 2014 at 7:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

sling5s

Headphoneus Supremus
I had the iPhone 4 and my daughter has the iPhone 5S, now I have the iPhone 6.  
So far I feel the iPhone 6 has the best sound.  It's warm but detailed. 

The iPhone 4 and 5S with the iOS 7 sounded detailed but on the neutral and clean side.
But now the iPhone 6 (& iOS8 of course) sounds a little warmer but slightly more detailed than both. 

Anyone have their iPhone 6 or plus yet?  What are your impressions of the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus?

Sep 21, 2014 at 11:17 AM Post #2 of 39
I have the iPhone 6 128gb space grey and I agree on the sound being warm but detailed.
While 4S and 5 that I have sound neutral and detailed, the 6 brings about a reminiscence of iPhone 3GS's warm but detailed sound.
For that reason I think it pairs wonderfully with my Sennheiser Amperior.

I would like to know the impedance output of the iPhone 6 and if the 6+ has any differing sound characteristics.

Sep 21, 2014 at 11:23 AM Post #3 of 39
For my sensitive IEM like JH13pro, I use an impedance resistance adaptor (adds 75 ohms) so iPhone headphone jack output impedance issue is not an issue.  I've used the adaptor for 4, 5S and iPhone 6 and the 6 still sounds slightly warmer but more detailed.

Sep 21, 2014 at 11:16 PM Post #5 of 39
I have the space gray iPhone 6+ and I'm very impressed with the sound quality. I'm using the BW P7 and I'll echo what others have shared about the sound........warmer, great depth and detail, and good staging. I listen with BW P7's.

Sep 22, 2014 at 2:39 AM Post #6 of 39
I upgraded my Iphone 5 to ios 8 and wow, the sound became warmer and more detailed. So I suspect that they did something with the software more than with hardware 

Sep 22, 2014 at 11:34 AM Post #7 of 39
It's interesting to find pre 2010 members whom I presume being in this hobby for awhile, would of had many different experiences with audiophile daps still find music enjoyable on a phone. As for me I've had my share of daps but always kind of come back to iPhones as portability is best with phone and iem along with being very content with the sound quality.

Sep 22, 2014 at 1:32 PM Post #8 of 39
Got the iphone 6 over the weekend and have been really impressed with the SQ - I rarely used the iphone 5 for music preferring computer or ipod with Sony PHA1 but I've tried with Sennheiser Momentums, Westone 4Rs and Beyerdynamic DT1350 and it really does hold it's own. Particularly surprised that it does a good job with the DT1350s which I always felt needed a good amplifier powering them. 

Sep 23, 2014 at 4:35 PM Post #10 of 39
Jus started playing around with the iPhone 6 plus and I'm not sure about the sound quality. I was using an iPhone 4 for a while and liked that. The 6 seems to have a wider soundstage but lacks the impact of the 4. The best way I can describe it is the 4 was a more forward sounding player. This is how I've felt using my vmoda m80s. I'll try it with my se535s and see but as it goes, I prefer the 4

Sep 30, 2014 at 12:46 AM Post #11 of 39
Does anyone know if playing ALACs off the IPhone 6 will sound better when hooked up to a car's audio system as opposed MP3s through a FM transmitter? (Planning to upgrade to 6 from 4S around Christmas)

Oct 29, 2014 at 9:54 PM Post #15 of 39
Jus started playing around with the iPhone 6 plus and I'm not sure about the sound quality. I was using an iPhone 4 for a while and liked that. The 6 seems to have a wider soundstage but lacks the impact of the 4. The best way I can describe it is the 4 was a more forward sounding player. This is how I've felt using my vmoda m80s. I'll try it with my se535s and see but as it goes, I prefer the 4

this is exactly what I'm feeling at the moment .. I really enjoyed my music from my i4 but finding the i6 a bit bland and not exciting anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back