iPhone 6 No Headphone Socket?
Jun 22, 2014 at 6:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Pogbellies

Head-Fier
I have seen several rumours that the soon to be released iPhone 6 may not have a headphone socket built in. Personally I think that this would be a bad mistake. I've waited years for an iphone with a decent sized screen and now this!

Just have to stick with Android I guess, where does that leave everyone who like me spent considerable sums of money on headphones with Apple type remotes?

Jun 22, 2014 at 10:58 AM Post #2 of 15
I voted no - I don't want to have to charge my headphones as well as my DAP, one battery is enough to worry about not to mention there are next to no wireless in-ears to use on the go.

That said if it does come with a socket I still wont be buying one as I prefer a separate DAP and phone, so perhaps I should have opted out of this poll...

Jun 22, 2014 at 12:19 PM Post #4 of 15
Not happening. It's there on the 6 - most pics of the 4.7 & 5.5 shell shows the 3.5mm socket - but there is a rumor that the next iteration of the iPhone might use a Lightning plug for the HO. so in a couple of years, they might switch - it is the last part they cannot shrink as they try for the thinnest iPhone possible - maybe they'll go balanced with a 2.5mm HO.

I'll get upset about it when it happens - no point in getting my panties in a bunch until it comes to pass... 

Jun 22, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #5 of 15
Not happening. It's there on the 6 - most pics of the 4.7 & 5.5 shell shows the 3.5mm socket - but there is a rumor that the next iteration of the iPhone might use a Lightning plug for the HO. so in a couple of years, they might switch - it is the last part they cannot shrink as they try for the thinnest iPhone possible - maybe they'll go balanced with a 2.5mm HO.

I'll get upset about it when it happens - no point in getting my panties in a bunch until it comes to pass... 

I really hope you are correct, must admit most of the mock ups I've seen still show a socket. Still I do wonder how the rumour got started. For me Apple have been consistent in providing a decent source in the convenience of a phone, few other manufacturers can boast that.

Jun 22, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #10 of 15
Doesn't matter much to me, I'm all about Android. Still think it's a mistake for Crapple

The problem this faces is that since companies now are producing these ridiculously priced $1000 daps, we will be forced to pay higher prices since 3.5 mm headphones prices may eventually go up. And if that happens, I will gladly remove my daps and headphones from my shoulders.

Jun 23, 2014 at 2:07 PM Post #11 of 15
From what I have seen of online tech writers and gossipers, most don't know the difference between digital out and analog. 
etysmile.gif

Jul 8, 2014 at 4:30 PM Post #12 of 15
Probably Apple would go down if they do that.

Jul 8, 2014 at 5:24 PM Post #13 of 15
If Steve Jobs was still alive, the rumor would most likely be true.

When the iPhone first came out, I couldn't plug in my Shure earphones. I had to buy a recessed adapter. This is not much different. Vendors will sell lightning to 3.5mm adapters. Since Apple bought the most popular headphone maker, they can set a new standard (if they choose too).

That said, my answer to the poll is unsure.

Jul 14, 2014 at 7:27 AM Post #14 of 15
  If Steve Jobs was still alive, the rumor would most likely be true.

When the iPhone first came out, I couldn't plug in my Shure earphones. I had to buy a recessed adapter. This is not much different. Vendors will sell lightning to 3.5mm adapters. Since Apple bought the most popular headphone maker, they can set a new standard (if they choose too).

That said, my answer to the poll is unsure.

I totally agree...

Jul 14, 2014 at 8:40 AM Post #15 of 15
  The problem this faces is that since companies now are producing these ridiculously priced $1000 daps, we will be forced to pay higher prices since 3.5 mm headphones prices may eventually go up. And if that happens, I will gladly remove my daps and headphones from my shoulders.

Fine food restaurants and nutrition warnings never killed McDonalds. You have absolutely nothing to worry about unless your palate changes. Easy enough to not go there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back