iPhone 5 as a source + what else?
Dec 10, 2012 at 8:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

MiniMaster

Head-Fier
Noobie here, I know good sound when i hear it but im pretty new to the audio side of things (Getting into it, loving it.)

I have an iPhone 5 as my current music player for convenience and i figured why not use it as a source. The only pair of cans I currently own are the, what seem to be pretty popular, ATH-M50s. I am looking for a nice portable setup that i can take with me on the go and play my music nicely. Keep in mind I am planning on getting more headphones as time goes on and i become more knowledgeable, just got those to start me out.

As i was looking for amps i seen so many from the iQube to the O2, cMoyBB, FiiO E11, E17 and i realized there are so many to choose from i dont really have a clue which I should get. I must admit some do look nice but pretty bulky for portable use like the O2.  

Just looking for some recommendations, help on a nice portable setup to get me going and will last when i get more headphones and so on. 

Thanks

V

Dec 10, 2012 at 9:05 PM Post #2 of 15
There are a lot very good amp pair with your iPhone

You need lightning adaptor for lod cable

Alo Rx 3 b
Intruder
Headstage arrow 4 G
Pico dac amp
Pico slim
Tralucent audio T1

These are very good amp

Dec 10, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #3 of 15
Quote:
There are a lot very good amp pair with your iPhone
You need lightning adaptor for lod cable
Alo Rx 3 b
Intruder
Headstage arrow 4 G
Pico dac amp
Pico slim
Tralucent audio T1
These are very good amp

So many to choose from. Thanks for your response, these look nice. I'll add all these to the "list". And eventually narrow them down. 

Yeah, they need a lod cable for the iPhone 5. Make things so much sturdier. 

Dec 10, 2012 at 9:16 PM Post #4 of 15
So many to choose from. Thanks for your response, these look nice. I'll add all these to the "list". And eventually narrow them down. 

What is your music genre ?

For all rounder music genre : Alo Rx 3 B is One OF The best amp

Minus Only a bit hissing.

Dec 10, 2012 at 9:16 PM Post #5 of 15

What is your music genre ?

For all rounder music genre : Alo Rx 3 B is One OF The best amp

Minus Only a bit hissing.

Dec 10, 2012 at 9:29 PM Post #6 of 15
Yea I didn't list music genre since I listen to too wide of a variety. From Jazz to Oldies, HipHop, Disco, Country, you get the point. So the Alo Rx 3 B would be my best bet? What about DACs would i need one or is it built in? Do i not necessarily need one? Still learning. 

Dec 11, 2012 at 2:14 AM Post #7 of 15
Yea I didn't list music genre since I listen to too wide of a variety. From Jazz to Oldies, HipHop, Disco, Country, you get the point. So the Alo Rx 3 B would be my best bet? What about DACs would i need one or is it built in? Do i not necessarily need one? Still learning. 

High End portable amplifier are :

Yes Alo Rx 3 B or RSA The Intruder

Dac is important too , For Your variety of music i sugest You :

Cyber lab Class solo , Now Alo audio has Cyber lab latest dac R or - DB For balance use With

Your balance amp .

Mid End portable amplifier :

Headstage arrow 4 G
Tralucent audio T 1

Dec 11, 2012 at 1:22 PM Post #8 of 15
I dunno if this is any help, but I purchased the PA2V2 from Electric-Avenues and was extremely happy with the sound from my iPhone. I primarily use them to power a pair of ATH-M50s and its been a great experience. Also, Gary is extremely personable and very helpful so props to him! I love it because it's retro looking(personal preference) and moderately priced. It's a little on the big side but its very durable.

Dec 11, 2012 at 1:39 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:
I dunno if this is any help, but I purchased the PA2V2 from Electric-Avenues and was extremely happy with the sound from my iPhone. I primarily use them to power a pair of ATH-M50s and its been a great experience. Also, Gary is extremely personable and very helpful so props to him! I love it because it's retro looking(personal preference) and moderately priced. It's a little on the big side but its very durable.

Thanks,

I did have the PA2V2 on the list of amps to look at. Its just hard when you don't know much and have so many options. And when you're so stubborn you want one now haha. 

Dec 13, 2012 at 9:02 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:
Noobie here, I know good sound when i hear it but im pretty new to the audio side of things (Getting into it, loving it.)

I have an iPhone 5 as my current music player for convenience and i figured why not use it as a source. The only pair of cans I currently own are the, what seem to be pretty popular, ATH-M50s. I am looking for a nice portable setup that i can take with me on the go and play my music nicely. Keep in mind I am planning on getting more headphones as time goes on and i become more knowledgeable, just got those to start me out.

As i was looking for amps i seen so many from the iQube to the O2, cMoyBB, FiiO E11, E17 and i realized there are so many to choose from i dont really have a clue which I should get. I must admit some do look nice but pretty bulky for portable use like the O2.  

Just looking for some recommendations, help on a nice portable setup to get me going and will last when i get more headphones and so on. 

Thanks

V

Suggesting options in the under $100 and under $200 categories:

If your only source is iPhone, start with a portable amp.

E11 - under $100
c421 - under $200

If you use a computer and iPhone, get an amp+dac:

E7/E07k - under $100
E17 - under $200
$200+ many options

Expensive if you want to bypass the iPhone DAC:

CLAS - $700

You need an LOD for the iPhone:
L3 or L5 will connect to iPhone 4/S, you need some kind of adaptor for iPhone5.  Or wait for a LOD for the iPhone5 (im not aware of any, i have 4S)

Dec 13, 2012 at 6:07 PM Post #12 of 15
don't think you can get an analogue line out from the IP5? I thought it was digital only via the new connection?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back