iphone 4S sound quality
Dec 31, 2011 at 11:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Joohunta

New Head-Fier
Hi guys i've recently upgraded my iphone 3GS to the 4S, and the moment i plugged them in to my Triplefi.10s/ XBA-4 , everything sounded muddy and unclear to me, unlike to my old 3GS (blew me away, sounded wayyy better than my sansa clip+ and laptop), read up a bunch of articles and it turns out that the audio chip used for the 4S slightly differs from the one used in the 3GS, as it supposedly uses less power to prolong battery life.

so the big question is,

will a headphone amp solve the issue on the horrible audio on the 4S's side, and sound equally good as an amped 3GS?

Jan 6, 2012 at 5:17 PM Post #8 of 16

Quote:
Slightly off-topic, but how is the iPhone 4S sound quality compared to the latest iPod classic?

Not sure about the 4S, but my iPhone 4 sounds significantly better than my 2007-model iPod classic (almost no amplifier hiss, low output impedance)

Jan 6, 2012 at 9:01 PM Post #9 of 16

Quote:
Not sure about the 4S, but my iPhone 4 sounds significantly better than my 2007-model iPod classic (almost no amplifier hiss, low output impedance)

yep, both the iphone 4 and iphone 4s are "audiophile grade" portable sources (whatever that means). their measurements speak for themselves, and the iphone 4s should sound technically better than the 3gs.

the 4 has an output impedance of 0.97, while the 4s has an output impedance of 1.8 or so. 

Jan 7, 2012 at 12:05 AM Post #10 of 16

Quote:
the 4 has an output impedance of 0.97, while the 4s has an output impedance of 1.8 or so. 

That's a much bigger difference than I thought 
blink.gif

Jan 7, 2012 at 12:34 AM Post #11 of 16
I don't consider my ears 'audiophile' but my iphone 4 sounds fantastic! (amped through line out and unamped) I also have the 3g and I felt the 4 sounded a tiny bit clearer, but barely.

Jul 30, 2012 at 4:21 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:
I don't consider my ears 'audiophile' but my iphone 4 sounds fantastic! (amped through line out and unamped) I also have the 3g and I felt the 4 sounded a tiny bit clearer, but barely.

ipod touch 4G  is still the best IOS DAC i have heard but the 4S is very very close to it...  just slightly less warm

Jul 31, 2012 at 9:02 PM Post #15 of 16
I love my iPhone 4 as a source for IEM's. For full size can's it needs to be more powerful, but for IEM's it's great, I'm sure an e11 would help for full size headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back