iphone 4 sound quality
Jun 24, 2010 at 7:57 PM Post #16 of 332
I've been enjoying the Cirrus Logic DAC since getting my iPod touch 2G two years ago. Won't be getting an iPhone 4 anytime soon (not allowed to as a foreigner in Korea), but I will definitely put myself on a list to get a 5th gen in Japan or Canada. The EQ fixed in iOS4 is huge - HUGE! and I've been enjoying it immensely with my iems. 

I only wish its output impedance was as low as the Fuze or Clip. That way, every iem would play as flat as ever and considering the iPod/iPhone's good stereo image, it would probably take a very very expensive/nice portable amp to outdo the stock sound.

Jun 24, 2010 at 8:06 PM Post #17 of 332
So, I see the SQ difference we all noticed w/the iOS 4 update was in fact a real thing. I'm starting to listen to my touch 64gb more than my Sony's now,.............and THAT is saying quite a lot - I'm a Sony SQ Fanboi.

Jun 24, 2010 at 8:46 PM Post #18 of 332
I'm enjoying the headphone out of the iPhone4 a lot. To me, it sounds better than the 3GS, less harsh, a bit more refined but this may just be in my mind. There in reality may be very little difference. This is playing AAC 256kbps (AKA iTunes Plus) files. I have not tried line out yet. 

Jun 24, 2010 at 9:49 PM Post #19 of 332
I can't wait for the new ipod touch, the $200 version should be 16GB this round and I'm hoping for a camera. If they have made improvements to SQ then I will be very happy. It sounds like I should upgrade my 2nd gen touch... Going to do that right now instead of study for finals.

Jun 25, 2010 at 1:19 AM Post #20 of 332
The more I listen to this combo, the more I realize that the boys (and gals!) at Ety really knew what they were doing when they designed the HF series IEMs. It very much seems like they voiced and impedance-matched them with the amp characteristics of the iPhone 3G. Luckily, that same formula works wonders with the 4 as well, even with the different output device. The 4 takes everything good about the 3G (imaging, midrange) and fixes its deficiencies (bass response, treble refinement, self-noise) without materially changing the underlying sonic characteristics.

These hf2s of mine sound a bit lifeless with my iBasso D3, but they are absolute gems with both gens of iPhone with which I've used them. Their synergy is astounding.

Jun 25, 2010 at 1:26 AM Post #21 of 332
after reading this thread, i decided to compare all my idevices SQ, and concluded that iPad > iPhone 3G > iPod Classis 7G > MBP 1,1  i cant wait to hear the iphone 4. the iPad really steps up the bass depth compared to the iphone, and if the 4 fixes this...that will be awesome

Jun 25, 2010 at 1:32 AM Post #22 of 332
Jun 25, 2010 at 1:59 AM Post #23 of 332
Does anyone have any information on the audio hardware upgrade supposedly made from the iPhone 3Gs to the 4?  ie, any tear-downs able to identify a new dac, etc?  I know that the 3Gs is an incredible source, I've never found a portable amp (even the RSA Shadow) to be enough of an improvement to justify lugging it around, and I'm psyched to see if the iPhone 4 is an additional improvement!

edit - my bad, I somehow missed the post that mentioned the cirrus hardware.  Still, is there any specific info on this anywhere?

Jun 25, 2010 at 3:34 AM Post #24 of 332

Quote:
Does anyone have any information on the audio hardware upgrade supposedly made from the iPhone 3Gs to the 4?  ie, any tear-downs able to identify a new dac, etc?  I know that the 3Gs is an incredible source, I've never found a portable amp (even the RSA Shadow) to be enough of an improvement to justify lugging it around, and I'm psyched to see if the iPhone 4 is an additional improvement!

Did you read the prior posts?

Jun 25, 2010 at 5:12 AM Post #26 of 332

Quote:
I listened a little to both my 3GS and the 4 and found the sound of the 3GS was a little cleaner sounding to me I used a LOD into my P-51.

Funny, I found it to be the other way around. Although i was listening strait out of the iphone so maybe that's why.

In any case i much prefer the unamped sound of the iPhone 4 over the iPhone 3GS. I found that it offered better detail and transparency over the 3GS. In addition, I also found the 3GS to be a bit more shrill in the highs than the 4.

I dont have a portable amp at the moment to test them with so my impressions might be reversed when using an LOD.

Jun 25, 2010 at 10:36 AM Post #27 of 332
I have no experience with the iphone 3GS but i'm amazed with the sound quality of the iphone 4.  It's like my iphone 1st generation plus amp. They really improved it since the first iphone. 
Very satisfied. 

Jun 25, 2010 at 2:06 PM Post #28 of 332
Jun 25, 2010 at 2:19 PM Post #29 of 332
Wow, well if iOS4 will improve the sound on my iPhone 3G, I'll do that in the interim while I wait to get hold of an iPhone 4G. 

Jun 25, 2010 at 2:56 PM Post #30 of 332
So I tried the line out of my iPhone 4 and it sounds great! I actually cannot hear a difference between it amped playing aac 256 and my iPod 5.5g with the same amp and headphones playing lossless. Quite happy with the iPhone 4 so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back