iphone 4 sound quality
Jul 28, 2010 at 1:18 AM Post #136 of 332
I think those with 5.5 iMods are running LODs, but not 5.5G Ipods.

the 5.5 isn't all that involving if it is not an iMod. 

IMHO I wouldn't bother using the 5.5 G iPod classic if it were not an iMod, a much better sonic choice would be a iPod touch 2nd gen. (The 3rd gen iPod touch is horrible...unfortunately a huge step backwards in SQ- I did a side by side a/b with both- and the 2G has terrific low end that IMHO with a LOD is very realistic when amped and headphone  + LOD matched correctly. )

I do not own a 2nd gen iPod touch mostly because I wanted something to ski with with voice control. Although...as prices fall I am tempted to get one. Partially because the battery life of the iPhone 4 still isn't likely to get me through a day of skiing -listening to music on the way down and podcasts the way up-  and an evening of phone calls and email and texting without need to recharge.

Using something like the Mophi juice pack just killed reception on the iPhone 3GS (though the antenna was on the bottom with the 3GS as opposed to the perimeter of the iPhone 4) but it remains to be seen.

Jul 28, 2010 at 10:29 AM Post #137 of 332

Quote:
I agree, that was a horrible sounding model.  I owned it along with just about every other iPod.   And I certainly do not want to discount what people are hearing but being an iPod owner and head-fi member during that iteration, I vividly remember this website was full of people screaming about how bad it sounded when that model was released.  Now 2-3 years later people seem to look back on it fondly.  Kind of odd turn of events.

Originally Posted by elfary /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I still can not believe what i read here deeming the 5.5 iPod as a better sounding unit than the iPhone 3G S.

I even find the statement disturbing somehow :wink:

Obviously each pair of ears is unique.

Jul 29, 2010 at 5:42 AM Post #138 of 332
Well, i found thisforum  searching on iphone 4 sound quality.  I just put my iphone 4 back in the box, due to output overload/distortion. I have had every model of iphone since it came out and Ive never had this problem. I tested it on several headphones and with the direct input on my car stereo.  Same thing in each case.  

So as far as the DAC on the iphone 4 Id say its a fail.  If amplifying source distortion to the point it rattles the magnets is an improvement, then I dont want it.

I lived with it for 3 weeks and went out and bought a gen 1 iphone on craigslist (after having sold my 3gs when I bought the 4) and the problem is gone.  I still have the 4 but with the other issues like dropped calls, it stays in the box.  
triportsad.gif

I listen to music on my iphone all day and this was the last straw.  I can only take so many defects.

Jul 29, 2010 at 9:23 AM Post #139 of 332
That sounds like a defective unit for sure. I listen to my AKG 702 without distortion on my iPhone 4, so I you might have a defective unit. Go to the sole store and blot them know. Bring your cana so you can try them on other iPhone 4 's in the store.

Jul 30, 2010 at 1:12 AM Post #140 of 332
I just got my iPhone 4 at a midnight launch in Sydney :)

First impressions, I have to say, put the sound immediately a step above my old iPhone 3G as well as my trusty Sony walkman... Dramatically better instrument separation and bass extension. Great dynamic range and detail, yet still manages to be smoother than the Sony. I'm picking up a fair bit more hiss than on my old 3G though....

Jul 30, 2010 at 2:17 AM Post #141 of 332

Quote:
The iPhone 4 outputs more radiation and consumes more power just to accommodate its new antenna to prevent dropped calls.  This probably would make it noisier.  That and the glass front and back panel can't help w/ external interference

I used to think that about the glass panels.  Once you peek inside their is extensive shielding around the components.  I agree about the dropped calls, radiation and noise though.  

Jul 30, 2010 at 2:37 AM Post #143 of 332

Quote:
I would not recommend getting the iphone to be used as a portable player.

Oh you have no idea how much love they have around here.

Jul 30, 2010 at 2:54 AM Post #144 of 332
I like the iphone,no doub't but always been a skeptic about using your mobile phone as your portable player, it is more like the 9 million other people around you with white buds in their ears.

Jul 30, 2010 at 4:42 AM Post #145 of 332

Quote:
I like the iphone,no doub't but always been a skeptic about using your mobile phone as your portable player, it is more like the 9 million other people around you with white buds in their ears.

lol I try not to be overly concerned about what everyone else is or isn't doing. I find it generally leads to some extreme position. As long as I'm happy with whatever gear I'm using and putting in my ears, etc, I'm happy. 

I agree though, phones as portable players haven't got a great rep. And I do miss physical buttons on the iPhone. Everything has its pros and cons - one of my favourite aspects of the iPhone is that if I want to stop the music really quickly if someone is talking to me, I can just pull the headphones out of the jack :) This is also one of my least favourite aspects when I'm trying to compare sources...

Jul 31, 2010 at 3:32 AM Post #147 of 332
if your iphone is jailbroken, check out GlovePod :wink:

Quote:
I agree though, phones as portable players haven't got a great rep. And I do miss physical buttons on the iPhone. Everything has its pros and cons - one of my favourite aspects of the iPhone is that if I want to stop the music really quickly if someone is talking to me, I can just pull the headphones out of the jack :) This is also one of my least favourite aspects when I'm trying to compare sources...

Aug 8, 2010 at 3:48 AM Post #149 of 332

Quote:
someday i wrote (maybe others too) to gsmarena asking for loaded rmaa tests and maybe that helped
beerchug.gif

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_i9000_galaxy_s_vs_apple_iphone_4-review-500p6.php

Good to see I made the right choice...sound quality wise at least. 

I got my iP4 yesterday and I'm really enjoying it. I can't believe how much better the screen is compared to my 3G! A quick look at the maps app on both clearly shows the difference.

In terms of sound quality - compared to the 3G - it is also superior. Without spending hours on it the bass is deeper, instrument definition is better, no high-mid harshness that the 3G has.

I'll do some comparisons with the uDac later today...

Aug 8, 2010 at 4:25 AM Post #150 of 332
my 2c:

ive never been a believer about the sound quality out of "i" products. for what ever reason i just found them so lacking in every department out of the HP. distorted bass with a EQ, and lacking without.

Now that i have my i4, im a changed man. the new iOS 4 fixed Rock EQ brings back that warmer sound i was able to produce with my cowon but with a drop dead gorgeous interface. GlovePod
settled the missing physical buttons issue and it barely hisses with my JH16's. Im in love :D i cant wait for my HS Arrow 2G and TWag cables to arrive :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back