iPhone 4 32gb vs iPod 30gb 5th Gen
Oct 21, 2013 at 7:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

WEZ1963

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone; first post on here so please be gentle! :xf_eek:

Found this forum a few weeks ago and have been "dipping in and out" ever since. :rolleyes:

My initial question is; what's the consensus of opinion on the above devices as audio sources? Can't seem to find much on comparisons via Google, let alone on here! I have both devices but haven't used the iPod since getting the iPhone.

Secondly, is there anything to be gained by adding a portable amp into the mix or would either device not need it? My current set of 'phones are the Shure SE215's which are my first set of IEM's and have blown me away in terms of quality and isolation (I must point out here that I'm a complete beginner).

Any responses greatly appreciated folks!

Oct 22, 2013 at 4:52 AM Post #2 of 4
Both are quite decent players, but no more than that. It would make sense to add an amp, but you'd have to go line out from the iphone via the dock. The DAC is decent, but the headphone amp is pretty bad in comparison IMO, so it does make sense to get an external amp.

Oct 22, 2013 at 5:08 AM Post #3 of 4
Thanks for the response.

I'd prefer to stick with the iPhone purely for convenience but didn't know if there was a big enough difference to make it worthwhile carrying around the iPod too.

With regards to anps, would the Shure's benefit from one? Was looking at Fiio stuff but since lurking on here the choice makes it seem like a minefield!

Oct 22, 2013 at 5:15 AM Post #4 of 4
Hard to say... I think it is worth it to me with my etymotic hf5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back