iPhone 3GS remote headset transplantation mod
Aug 4, 2009 at 3:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Captain ?degard

Member of the Trade
Did a mod for the headset that comes with the iPhone 3GS and shuffle 3G (and also works on touch 2G and nano 4G i think). The included headset has a small remote with playback controls and a mic, so I simply transplanted the cord onto a pair of CX300 IEMs. Quick, awesome mod that gives you good headphones with remote functionality.

cimg2148.jpg

More pics:
iPhone 3GS remote control headphone mod | Andreas Ødegård

Aug 4, 2009 at 6:01 PM Post #2 of 6
Well done Andreas!
biggrin.gif

The stock headset may not be much to write home about. But after the transplant it may be in a totally different league. Nice work.

Aug 4, 2009 at 6:22 PM Post #4 of 6
I don't see your posts too often, but when I do, it's always something awesome like this! You are a true DIYer, keep up the good work.

Aug 4, 2009 at 6:31 PM Post #5 of 6
Thanks for the nice comments
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by markt1600 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great work! If you were able to take any pics while doing the mod, I'd love to see them.

Hit the link at the bottom of the first post, where it says "more pics"
wink.gif

Oct 20, 2010 at 11:37 AM Post #6 of 6
Good stuff on the mod! I have some questions for you (and everyone else in the forum) please!:

May I ask you, how do they sound now?

I am looking to do the same mod but on AKG k81dj's. As I am certain some of you are aware, the k81's are pretty bass heavy and have very punchy base where and when you want it too, a very delicate balance to attain for drivers. I am afraid that if I were to pry open my treasured cans and fiddle with the cables that I might change their sound signature.
What do you think? Have you noticed any differences in the sound of your CX 300? Does anyone have an opinion on how the new wires/cables from earbuds might affect the sound on bigger cans?

Would the white cable be long enough from the base of the drivers' housing to the Y-split in the Stock Iphone cables?

Finally, you know how most bigger cans like the K81's come with an adaptor for 1/4' plugs?: with the white apple cable, are you still able to plug in the adaptor and use it to connect into a bigger system? (even through cable extension). I am asking this because the plug terminal is different obviously because of the added ring for the mic.

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions. Its very much appreciated.
Regards,
B

Users who are viewing this thread

Back