iPhone 3GS / Pure i-20 / streaming OK?
Mar 21, 2012 at 11:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

iAmCalm

Head-Fier

I'm thinking about getting Spotify premium so I can source it from my iPhone over wi-fi at home.

Is anyone streaming audio on their iPhone (3GS is what I have) while docked in the Pure i-20?
http://www.pure.com/products/product.asp?Product=VL-61429&Category=

how's it sound? I'm wondering if anyone is getting any radio interference from the phone while docked/playing.

I have an ihome alarm clock that is immune to this problem, but you never know anymore.

Can't do airplane mode and wi-fi at the same time, so before I drop by ~$100 on the i-20, i just want to know if it's got the radio interference issue under control.

thx.

btw - anyone try docking an iPad on the i-20?

Mar 22, 2012 at 4:08 PM Post #2 of 11
Not sure if this is helpful to you or not, but I just recently started using I-Tunes' sharing mode to stream files from my desktop to an IPad2 docked on a Pure I-20 (then into NAD integrated amp).  It works great, although my Ipad2 is Wi-Fi only, so I can't help you on the interference issue.

Got the idea here:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/audiophile-play-ipad-streaming-music-services

I can stream 24/96 AIFF files that I've imported into I-Tunes in this fashion, but there are occasional hiccups in the streaming -- I assume the bitrate for the 24/96 files is pushing the boundaries of what my wi-fi will handle (my desktop and wifi modem is in the attic/third floor, and my stereo is on the first floor).  But if I convert the 24/96 AIFF files to ALAC, it reduces the bitrate sufficiently so that it streams flawlessly.  

Mar 23, 2012 at 10:29 AM Post #3 of 11
good to know that the iPad2 works ok.
they don't seem to tout that functionality on the Pure website.
they do say it "works with iPhone" with the little graphic, so I'm assuming it's not going to be an issue.

Mar 24, 2012 at 9:47 AM Post #5 of 11
iAmCalm:

According to Apple, you can still enable your WiFi while in Airplane Mode --

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1355

You may need to change your default setting.

Mar 24, 2012 at 10:20 PM Post #6 of 11
The i-20 is a great product.  I have been using it with my iPhone 4 and iPad 2 for about six months (digital out).  DACs were Wyred4Sound DAC 2 and Eastern Electric Minimax DAC Plus.  No comparison to the analog out on either iDevice.  Different than running a Mac (via Pure Music, Bitperfect, Audirvana, etc) into the DAC but close, very close.  No match for a dedicated music server like the Wyred4Sound MS 2 into the W4S DAC2 via I2S, though.  Not even close (not a fair comparison, I know). VERY hard to match price/performance.  It beats the Oppo BDP 95 as 'transport'.

Mar 24, 2012 at 10:44 PM Post #7 of 11
I had a hard time getting Spotify to work with iPad 2 and the Pure dock. It would play for 20-30 seconds, then stop, no matter what. iPad 2 was at iOS 4 level, didn't bother upgrading, and I haven't yet had the chance to try it on my iPad 3.

Its optical output is of a noticeably lower sound quality compared to coax; I haven't used the analog outputs much so I can't comment on it.

The iPad 3 is finicky charging on it, though I'm unsure whether it's because of the older hardware and/or lower output current on the dock connector or my iPad 3 has some issues of its own (of a mechanical nature on its connector socket)

Mar 26, 2012 at 9:45 AM Post #8 of 11

???

I put my iPhone in airplane mode and stream through WiFi (Pandora), using my Pure i20 all the time.  Am I missing something?

According to Apple, you can still enable your WiFi while in Airplane Mode --

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1355

You may need to change your default setting.

right you are.
Consider me schooled.  
It never occurred to me to try to turn wi-fi back on after enabling airplane mode.
It's nice when apple products actually do the right thing, I wasn't expecting that.
Thanks for the push.

Mar 26, 2012 at 9:51 AM Post #9 of 11

Quote:
The i-20 is a great product.  I have been using it with my iPhone 4 and iPad 2 for about six months (digital out).  DACs were Wyred4Sound DAC 2 and Eastern Electric Minimax DAC Plus.  No comparison to the analog out on either iDevice.  Different than running a Mac (via Pure Music, Bitperfect, Audirvana, etc) into the DAC but close, very close.  No match for a dedicated music server like the Wyred4Sound MS 2 into the W4S DAC2 via I2S, though.  Not even close (not a fair comparison, I know). VERY hard to match price/performance.  It beats the Oppo BDP 95 as 'transport'.

Never heard of wyred4sound before.
the music server is an awesome concept, just put in a cd and it rips it for you into flac automatically.  WANT!
btw - can you also import previously ripped audio onto the server?

Apr 22, 2012 at 5:36 PM Post #10 of 11

Quote:

right you are.
Consider me schooled.  
It never occurred to me to try to turn wi-fi back on after enabling airplane mode.
It's nice when apple products actually do the right thing, I wasn't expecting that.
Thanks for the push.

That's the spooky thing about Apple products - and it always has been.  I spend most of my day wrestling with my Windoze based PC at work, then I come home and can't figure out how accomplish something on the Mac.  9 times out of 10 it's right there in front of me - a simple click or tap. I guess that's an unfortunate byproduct of good interface design.  :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back