iPhone 3gs and denon d2000
Aug 2, 2009 at 6:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

MrRoderick

New Head-Fier
So i'm a new member to head fi but i've been doing alot of research here. It has led me to choose, based on finances and desires, to purchase a pair of denon ah d2000's. My first truly high end cans, up til now the best i head were ue triple fi's. Due to money constraints i settled on the nuforce icon mobile to power them, though i would have rathered a p-51 mustang.
My source for now will be an iphone 3gs with flacs>alac in it. I'm looking at eventually getting sometuing more dedicated. Probly a 5.5g ipod. What im wondering is how i ought to connect the 3gs and the amp. Since the icon is a dac, is my best to get a usb a to b converter and hook it up that way or should i look into a heftier LOD? Im not sure which should sound better. I'm kinda sketchy on the 'caps' and other things and what internal dac is on the iphone and yada yada. Any information and suggestions would be helpful, keeping in mind that i have already purchased the icon.

Aug 2, 2009 at 6:26 AM Post #2 of 19
an LOD to Mini.

Aug 2, 2009 at 6:33 AM Post #5 of 19
I have know knowlege of ALO, but the Fidelity audio Xpert Mini to Mini cable($150) I purchased improves the sound quality when compared to a custom Mini to Mini($40) that was made for me and the PD Mini to Mini($20). I don't think Fidelity Audio makes a LOD though.

Aug 2, 2009 at 3:04 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrRoderick /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what internal dac is on the iphone and yada yada.

3GS has a Cirrus Logic chip. Not sure why you're intent on amping it as the gain from portable amping the 3GS in particular isn't too great. Very few people amp it, even people that have a huge inventory of amps at their disposal (like HeadphoneAddict).

Aug 2, 2009 at 4:14 PM Post #7 of 19
Also, don't forget that amping a phone means that you'll have to suffer the consequences of RFI interference; it's the reason why I've stopped using my T4 and use my iPhone 3G standalone. Whenever there is a cell transmission your headphones will most likely buzz pretty badly.

If you do plan on amping it then I suggest you put it into airplane mode.

Aug 2, 2009 at 6:21 PM Post #8 of 19
Well as far as amping it my main reason was to drive the denon d2000's as i have heard they really requjre it. Also i do not plan to use my 3gs as my main amp source for long. So i guess my next question is if the denon's will be alright unamped from the 3gs?

Aug 2, 2009 at 6:29 PM Post #9 of 19
If you have heard the D2000's amped well, they will not be ok unamped.

Aug 2, 2009 at 11:01 PM Post #10 of 19
mind u, no DAP could work with a dedicated DAC -- there's no digital-signal-out even though u could have a USB out
DAPs only have phone-out, maybe also line-out
when connected to a DAP, icon mobile works merely as an amp
DACs work with CD players or computers only

Aug 2, 2009 at 11:14 PM Post #11 of 19
I have been on this site for the past 2 weeks researching what kind of closed headphones I should buy.... I am a huge music enthusiast and I could say that I have been an audiophile for a long time now but I am only buying my first pair of headphones now....

I THINK that i am going to purchase the Denon D5000s.. I impulse bought the Sony MDR-7509HD on friday but I have done more research and I don't thnk they are well-suited for my purposes..

I am a big house music enthusiast... I like progressive house and tech house mainl but i like to listen to many genres of Electronic Dance Music (EDM) such as trance and progressive... Anyone have any other suggestions for which amp to buy?

furthermore, I will be using my iPhone 3G as my source and also my HP latop... Would I need an amp for these? (I was thinking about the mustang p51) how about a DAC?? wat else could i benfit from?? Im looking to optimize my sound for the type of music i listen to...

your help and suggestions are MUCH APPRECIATED... i feel like such a newbe but im starting to undertand wats going on
o2smile.gif

Aug 3, 2009 at 3:13 AM Post #12 of 19
From what im learning the iphone dac is good enough, but you should still bypass the lossy 1/8 jack with an LOD. However, the headphones i (we) have need to be properly powered so: amp. I wish i could afford the p-51. Maybe in the future.

Aug 3, 2009 at 4:21 AM Post #13 of 19
The Denons are perfectly fine unamped with the iPhone 3G. They have a low impedance and are pretty sensitive. Get yourself a LOD and an adjustable-volume attenuator. Shouldn't cost very much. With those two, you're looking at a pretty nice setup for the money. Now, if you get something that needs a little more juice (a k701, HD-650, etc.) then you'll need a home amp. Until then, don't worry about it.

Aug 3, 2009 at 4:35 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by TStewart422 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Denons are perfectly fine unamped with the iPhone 3G. They have a low impedance and are pretty sensitive. Get yourself a LOD and an adjustable-volume attenuator. Shouldn't cost very much. With those two, you're looking at a pretty nice setup for the money. Now, if you get something that needs a little more juice (a k701, HD-650, etc.) then you'll need a home amp. Until then, don't worry about it.

Have you heard the Denon's ? Impedance does not mean everything.

Aug 3, 2009 at 6:39 AM Post #15 of 19
Hmm. well now i'm a little lost on terms. i mean i've heard "impedence" and stuff but i'm not sure what it means. i'm planning on learning more in depth terms. Anyway, i figure that running the audio through the amp should take care of my denon powering problems for now, and i plan to eventually (when funds are available) buy a nice LOD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back