Iphone 3G/S 3G reception
Aug 28, 2009 at 7:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Rob N

Headphoneus Supremus
I've read that the Iphone doesn't have very good 3G reception both in the US and UK compared to other phones.

What's you experience?

I'm in the UK and at home I have no 3G coverage.At work I should have coverage (according to O2) but I can only get GPRS or EDGE.A number of people at work have laptops with Vodafone 3G and also cannot get 3G at work even though it's supposed to be available.

Is it a network problem or a problem with phone?

Aug 28, 2009 at 5:27 PM Post #2 of 5
A little of both. 3G coverage should be slightly better on the 3GS.

ATT is pretty much oversubscribed in the US, mostly because of the iPhone, so in dense, urban areas, iPhone coverages is horrible. That is the case is the San Francisco Bay Area.

I found that my 3G has phenomenal 3G coverage outside ATT's area. I took it to the Philippines in May and had 5 bars WAY in the middle of nowhere. I was in Whistler, BC last month and had 5 bars almost every where. I can't call from my house or at work.

I can get very good coverage when I'm in Cupertino, CA. But then you have to realize what company is based there and the kind of pull they have to increase antenna coverage...

Aug 28, 2009 at 5:46 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by oldskoolboarder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can get very good coverage when I'm in Cupertino, CA. But then you have to realize what company is based there and the kind of pull they have to increase antenna coverage...

Do you camp outside of Infinity Loop? =0

Aug 28, 2009 at 6:33 PM Post #4 of 5
I had fantastic reception on my 3G in Atlanta, however... northern Pennsylvania is a different story. VERY spotty reception, although... that seems to be the case with the majority of phones in this area.

Aug 28, 2009 at 6:42 PM Post #5 of 5
I forgot to note that my wife's Blackberry Bold can get connections where my my 3G cannot. Hence why I said it's both a network and phone connection. The Bold is ROCK solid, one of the best smartphones IMHO, especially for business.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back