Iphone 3g doesn't know LOD is unplugged
Mar 5, 2010 at 12:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

pj_rage

100+ Head-Fier
I bought a LOD on ebay from a member here. It's very well made, and looks and sounds fantastic. The one weird problem, is that if i disconnect it while my iphone is locked (screen off), when I pull it out, my iphone will never know it was gone until I either restart the phone, or put it back in, unlock the phone, and then take it out. The result is that if I unplug it while it's locked, all sounds are routed to the line out, even though there's no device there, meaning my internal speaker won't make any sound for lock/unlock, youtube, etc. I have another line out dock for my car, and when that one is unplugged when the phone is locked, the phone knows it, and wakes up when it's uplugged, and never has an issue like this.

In case it's relevant, I do get the message regarding the device not made for the iphone, but my car LOD also gives this message, so I don't think it's relevant, I just thought I would mention it in case.

I can work around it, but I'm curious what the cause is? Has anyone seen this?

Mar 5, 2010 at 1:16 PM Post #3 of 12
I think they need a 68k resistor from pin 21 to ground so that you don't get the nag message.

Do you mean in another location? Like betwen pin 11 and ground instead of a straight connection?

Either way, I'm not 100% sure how this one is wired.

I'm playing with it again now, and it's not every time it's locked and it's unplugged that the problem happens. I think it has to be in there for maybe 30 seconds, then unplug it while it's locked. If I just plug it in, locked it, and pull it out, it's fine. If I do the same but wait 30 seconds or more before pulling it out, the problem occurs. This makes me think maybe I didn't wait long enough to test the car LOD, but either way I've never noticed it with that LOD and I've used that one for over a year without any issues like this at all. That LOD does charge too -- I don't know if that has any effect.

Mar 5, 2010 at 2:43 PM Post #4 of 12
Another interesting thing that happens is that every so often, maybe 3 or 4 times a day, while my phone is sitting there and I'm not listening to it, but the LOD is connected, I'll see it wake up with the nag message about not for iphone. As if the LOD was just plugged back in. I guess the first guess would be a connection issue that does this, but I've never ever had any connection issues while using it or anything though, while moving/shaking the cable, etc, the sound is always perfectly connected and never cuts in and out or has static or anything like that. It's rock solid connection wise, but the phone acts as if it was just plugged in. Weird, right? Again, I've not noticed this issue with my griffin car LOD.

Mar 5, 2010 at 3:38 PM Post #5 of 12
I only have experience with the Touch 2G, but using the 68k resistor in the proper spot never got me a popup message once nor any issues once the LOD was removed (5 difference LOD's tested). Maybe talk to the seller about what construction he used. What type of satisfaction warrantees does he have?

Mar 6, 2010 at 5:09 PM Post #6 of 12
the warning is periodic, waking up us normal. never heard of any issue like that before though, hen I was still doing the cheats method sans resistor it never happened either. of course with the resistor there is no issue

Mar 9, 2010 at 2:01 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the warning is periodic, waking up us normal. never heard of any issue like that before though, hen I was still doing the cheats method sans resistor it never happened either. of course with the resistor there is no issue

Yeah it sure is strange. The thing that gets me is that I've listened to my car dock for several hours at a time and I don't ever remember getting the message more than the first time. Also, I've never noticed the weird issue with the phone not realizing that the dock was unplugged. I guess I'm gonna have to contact the seller and see exactly how it was wired and see if he has any thoughts.

I was just hoping that with a lot of you having made lots of docks, you might have ran across this issue before.

Mar 9, 2010 at 4:23 PM Post #8 of 12
I have to restart mine if I unplug the LOD it's not too bad it starts back up quickly

Mar 9, 2010 at 9:16 PM Post #9 of 12
Try unplugging it with the phone on and unlocked. Do you still have to restart it?

Mar 10, 2010 at 1:47 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by FraGGleR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I only have experience with the Touch 2G, but using the 68k resistor in the proper spot never got me a popup message once nor any issues once the LOD was removed (5 difference LOD's tested). Maybe talk to the seller about what construction he used. What type of satisfaction warrantees does he have?

This worked so far for me.

Mar 10, 2010 at 5:33 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by pj_rage /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah it sure is strange. The thing that gets me is that I've listened to my car dock for several hours at a time and I don't ever remember getting the message more than the first time. Also, I've never noticed the weird issue with the phone not realizing that the dock was unplugged. I guess I'm gonna have to contact the seller and see exactly how it was wired and see if he has any thoughts.

I was just hoping that with a lot of you having made lots of docks, you might have ran across this issue before.

oh it doesnt tend to do it much while you are actually using it, but if you have it connected and on it will periodically pop the message up. this is from memory, because I have been using the resistor method for ages now. with the resistor its totally seamless, if you do the start/home button double click to get quick access to the ipod controls on an iphone it actually says down the bottom 'audio dock' so it fully thinks its legit

Quote:

Originally Posted by pj_rage /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try unplugging it with the phone on and unlocked. Do you still have to restart it?

good test, that would be my guess perhaps that it freaks out as it wakes up and the dock isnt there as expected rather than when its awake and you remove it it 'realized' its gone

Mar 15, 2010 at 12:44 PM Post #12 of 12
I restested my car dock and it does give the not-for-iphone message but definitely does not exhibit this behavior. This car does does also charge the phone too, so I don't know if this plays in.

The dock in question only uses the necessary pins - 2,3,4,11,15 and the rest are not populated. The car does uses them all. Not sure again if this plays in. Do you guys normally populate all pins or just the ones you need?

I did use my old 4G ipod's dock (the white base thingy) for it's line out port, before I bought this dock, and I never noticed the problem with that dock either, even though it also gave the not-for-iphone message. Admittedly I haven't fully tested that dock, although I'll try that tonight.

Anyway, I've emailed the seller to see if he's heard of this problem before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back