iPaq4705 PDA as remote control
Oct 30, 2004 at 4:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

jhenderson010759

100+ Head-Fier
I just purchased an HP iPAQ4700 PDA. However, It will never be used to browse the web, read mail or schedule meetings. It has but one purpose.

It's a remote control for Foobar! Here's how I use it:

The PC in my den is wired via USB to the stereo in my living room, which includes a Roland M1000 mixer, acting as a digital preamp/sound card. Additionally, the PC is connected via TOS/Link to a Behringer DEQ2496 driving my headphone rigs. Thus, my entire PC audio collection, ripped in .ape format, may be delivered to each of my critical listening stations via Foobar. Trouble was, I had to meander back into the Den in order to change Foobar playlists, etc. Unacceptable.

While thumbing through a recent issue of PC magazine, I noticed that the HP iPAQ 4700 series PDA can act as a Windows Terminal Services client. I often use terminal services to access my work machine's desktop from home... and any machine running Windows XP may act as a a server. Since my home PC also runs XP, this seemed like a nice potential solution.

I received the PDA today and sure-enough, the iPAQ connects up to the den PC over the wireless LAN without a hitch. The Windows desktop is a little small, since the iPaq runs 640x480 resolution in a 4" x 3" area, but it's certainly readable. And using the stylus to perform playlist manipulations is a breeze.

Is there no limit to my sloth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back