IPAQ 2215 (alternative DAP, AND MORE!)
Jun 20, 2004 at 4:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

KAuss

New Head-Fier
Well, so I'm the lone ranger that took the high road to buy something that does more than just play MP3s... A lot of you are wondering what to get to fulfill your needs and not sure what... To confuse those of you in this situation more, I'm gonna throw you a curve and suggest something you might not of thought of...

I bought an IPAQ 2215 recently soley to be my MP3 player / organizer / ROM emulation / digital video player / GPS navigation etc... However it'll mostly be used 90% of the time to be my MP3 source...

Lets just say I spent a bit on the memory and got the 4GB microdrive so I have 4GB worth of music so I choose to keep that much (how many people actually have over 1000 songs they don't mind listening to?) so the size is comparable to the IPOD mini which is sitting around $250 pretty... The IPAQ and Card + 2000mah extended battery cost me ~550... So I lose on the memory aspect / $... (well I get 50 megs from the IPAQ but lets not count that LOL)

As for user friendly, I haven't fully messed with the IPOD, big or mini, so I can't comment too much on how friendly it is... However, the IPAQ is currnetly running GSPlayer 206 and works much like Winamp on your PC... You can add files to the playlist, load playlists, create playlists on the fly, play WITHOUT playlists, delete files (using the IPAQ file browser), add files with devices sporting bluetooth / Wifi without using wires etc... The program is said to be the BEST sounding program you can run on a PPC (pocket PC)... As far as the menu system goes, I only have one gripe... You don't have the option to pick "add dir" like you do on winamp which saves a LOT of time... I have my dirs setup with artist / album / songs.mp3... So lets say I have 10 albums from the same artist, I have to click add file, manually browse to album 1, click add all, then click ok... Then for the next album I have to repeat this again until I load everything I want into the program... (however there isn't even an option to do this on mostly any DAP out there, there are a few, but this one browses like a computer so your indexing is by far superior in everyway possible) You can overcome this shortcomming by creating play lists on Winamp before hand and just up them to the IPAQ...

Now to the nitty gritty... I'm going to test the sounds of my ATH-A900 on an IPOD 20GB G3 on 6/20/04 and add to this review, but I've been using my IPAQ for 3 days now and I must say, it performed a LOT better than what people said it was to be... With GSPlayer 206 (I wouldn't recommend any other program to run your mp3s) the sounds right out of installation is a bit flat... However, you can appreciate the low noise level it produces... When parts of a song is meant to be silent, it is SILENT... Well, this is the most silent I've heard on any solid state amplified eqiuptment... The volume set to max gives a hint of white noise between songs but you have to be in complete silent listening conditions to even hear it, along with a good set of closed cans... (the volume in this program is not seperate of the main volume control, so when you up the volume in the program, it ups the main volume) It isn't tube amp quite, but lets just say it puts my 100x5 receiver's headphone out to shame!! Need I say again in all caps S H A M E!!! (You have to configure GSPlayer to supress 0 noise levels and fade songs in to achieve maximum noise suppressing effect)

After a bit of listening to some nice low noise flat colored songs... I aimed to put the A900's to their worth... I started messing with the BASSBOOST option in the program and set it up half way initially... I was amazed at how well this boosted the bass without making it distort... What it actually does is set the volume of all other frequencies down a few notches depending on your bass gain, you notice a lot of mid / high drop out to accomodate for the added bass... This has it's benifits and downfalls... The downfall is obviously the lack of volume compared to the flat listening level... However the advantage is a boost in bass without sacraficing sound quality (clipping)... You can very obviously notice the difference in bass response...

Next I went for the WHOLE 10 yards and set the bassboost up to max... Again it dropped more mid / high off to compensate for the added bass and once again it does it to a pretty good level of comprimise... However, now things seem a bit muddy and the lack of mids / highs make it a bit of an akward experience in some genre of music... However my rap / bass heavy tracks feel VERY at home at this setting... Ballards / techno might suffer a bit... Still bottom line is, HEAVY bass without sacraficing quality!!

So after juicing the bass up, I want to set some EQ to match my other songs... I found that the best way to do this is to drop whatever you don't want to boost, and just keep the biggest freq boost at 0 level... Much like the concept of bassboost... This makes for a relativly good sound and noticeable boost in the desired reigons... So I set the EQ to the ever so common, boosted bass / treble setting and amazingly the sounds came out clear and loud... This method (gentally set) gave me less bass, but more clarity / volume... Techno songs gain a HUGE bit of loving from this EQ setup... (settings first 3 bands UP with slight drop, middle 3 bands flat drop, last 4 bands sloping rise UP, Looks like a nice sweeping low arch) Actually this is how I usually listen to most of my songs on the receiver so I feel very at home with this setting... I later coupled this with the bassboost option to half way and I got now the best of both worlds... Less muddy music than bassboost alone, and a lot more volume... Still static noise is hard to come by and only once in a while between switching tracks to you hear a bit of crackle... This might be program issue more than the actual hardware tho...

Overall, I must say that this is one POWERFUL little player with the BEST display you can get for the money... Hell, this is just a hair more costly than a 40GB IPOD, and the battery life can be 12 plus hours with the extended pack... I must say with the advantage of running other media aside from just MP3 puts the value through the roof with this little marvel...

My ATH-A900s with my current setting listed above gets enough bass to slightly rattle the cans and this is with max volume... I like my music loud... However it is significantly less shaky than my 100x5... Still on low bass notes, it goes deep and gives your ears a bit of bassty treat if you're a fan of bass...

On the most bass aggressive setup, I can feel the beat on most any song and you get a mad rattle on bass heavy tracks... However as I've stated, the songs get muddy and you lose a bit of volume in the process... So I must say power / quality wise, this thing would rank pretty high as far as my expectations go... With the low noise level, it puts a different spin into my listening experinece over the more powerful receiver headphone out I currently use...

Until I listen to more DAPs, I would have to hold out on a 1-10 rating...

There were actually times I frown on the sound of this machine and that came in the early commings when I didn't mess with the audio supression / EQ / Bassboost to put it to the level I wanted... Also, the noise is so low on low volumes it would be a PERFECT preout to an external amp if anyone choose to do so... You can suppress the preamp even lower to get a cleaner signal within the program's EQ... I woudl say for expandibility, it's built for the audiophile in you...

For the bonuses to put the $550 pricetag in prespective, these are the other things you can do with the IPAQ DAPs can't... (Price from eBay bidding on a generally still new IPAQ, average NEW not refurb price of unit is $325 shipped... Thats $65 more than I would of paid)

Surf the web
Play video
View pictures on the fly (instaly from digital cameras)
Change the internal battery like AA's to a walkman
Wirelessly connect to other devices via Bluetooth built in (Wifi optional)
Hold information with alarm for meetings / special events / to do lists and much much more an ordinary organizer would do
Play ROMs (although a bit choppy, still better than any cellphone games I've every played)
Record voice on the fly (avalible on limited DAPs namely the IHP line...)
Upgradeable software platform!! (HUGE ADVANTAGE, third party software is where the $'s at!)
Double as a universal IR remote... (Not really too useful, but you can learn with the IPAQ and simulate the remote to 100% if so desired) This is like owning a MTV Crib's control all IR controller!!! (I'm gonna figure it out for the garage door soon!!! PIMP)
Add GPS navigation for under $1000 total (including IPAQ and added goodies) which can't even be done as an option on a new car or a stand alone... With this addon, this would be the most valueable digital device you'll EVER OWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Take pictures up to 1.3 Megapix on the fly with a $50 camera addon
There are still tons of uses I'm just discovering with the more useage of the machine....

If any of you out there HAS a PDA, give GSPlayer a try if that isn't your default player, you might have second thoughts about PDAs being a MP3 source...

Hope you all find this informative, any feedback / questions are welcomed...

Jun 20, 2004 at 4:40 AM Post #2 of 17
I used to listen to my mp3's on my Ipaq, but it just doesn't sound that good (to me at least). My Ipaq only has an SD slot, so storage was expensive and limited. Now I use an Iriver IHP-120 for music, and the Ipaq for class notes and organizing. Hopefully they improved the sound quality some.

Jun 20, 2004 at 4:43 AM Post #3 of 17
The 2215 has a LOT of improvements over the older 3XXX series... This IPAQ has probably the best multimedia value... The video is the only drawback setting it behind the 1940... However, the sheer speed of the Xscale 400mhz processor makes up in every aspect other than video...

If you have the chance, borrow an IPAQ 2215 and install GSPlayer 206 on there and mess with it for a day... I must say it isn't the best sound I've came across, but there is nothing protruding out of the music that makes me say yuck and I rather have an IPOD (indepth audio comparison still to come)...

P.S. I rip my CDs at alt-standard 128 - 320 VBR with V:0... Songs are about 6 megs each and the quality isn't too shabby...

Jun 21, 2004 at 12:05 PM Post #5 of 17
GS Player will also play Ogg Vorbis, which is what I'm using on my 2215.
I get around 5 albums on a 256 SD card with a setting of q4.25 (128 kbps).
When I had my iHP, I was looking for a free program to play my Ogg Vorbis files on the iPaq I found GS Player and agree it is a nice piece of freeware.

The iPaq also has a bass and treble adjustment program called iPaq Audio you can find it on the Settings page. I prefer to ignore the player softwares EQ's and just adjust using iPaq Audio.

Jun 21, 2004 at 7:52 PM Post #6 of 17
divad6719, I suggest you don't mess with the IPAQ treble / bass because it distorts the signal significantly... I've used it before and it gets really messy even at half volume...

If you follow my steps above, and lower the bands on the GSPlayer EQ instead of "boosting" it you'll get a CLEAN signal with an indentical sound boost... Just keep the highest band(s) you want on 0 and drop everything else to the point you desire... Try it and be amazed!!

Also couple it up with bassboost if you're a bass hungry person and you'll end up with some really really good music (well, at least for ampless standards)

I'm going to get to test the IPOD today and I'll give me report once I get back from work....

Edit: I've just tried to mess with iaudio and reconfirm my theory on the distortion and YES, the GSPlayer EQ + Bassboost is a LOT cleaner than the boost on the ipaq originally... It is just too noticeable even to the untrained ears... I really suggest anyone using ipaq 2215 to use the GSPlayer EQ instead of the hidious ipaq adjuster...

Jun 21, 2004 at 8:42 PM Post #7 of 17
Thanks, I'll try it out using your suggestions.
biggrin.gif

Jun 22, 2004 at 12:06 AM Post #8 of 17
I have been using my 2215 for a while as an MP3 player and a 3100 before that.

My favorite MP3 player is Iplay. I also have PocketPlayer 1 and 2, GSPlayer, TodayPlayer and others. IPlay has an equalizer that works without noticeable distortion and IPlay is easier to use than GSPlayer. IPlay has special support for Ipaqs and for microdrives. It also has a lower CPU load on the 2215, so it will run longer on batteries than the other MP3 players. But IPlay is not free, but it has been well worth it. I have been using IPlay for almost three years and it keeps getting better and better.

Jun 22, 2004 at 12:15 AM Post #9 of 17
I was intrigued by this thread so I bought a 2215.
But now I'm not so sure. eBay listings have 4GB microdrives going for 240.00 - 250.00. Ceative muvo 4gb goes for 181.00 at buy.com with 10% disc (valid til June 30). So... the main advantages (in terms of mp3 player) that I see are consolidating pda/mp3player into one device and not have to look like a futuristic custodian with several devices hanging on belt (Bangraman's avatar somehow comes to mind). But... this would only be an advantage if there really isn't a big drop off in sound quality. I guess I'll find out next week when the 2215 arrives and I begin to tinker. I figure that, at worst, I'll have a pda (which I have wanted anyway).
BTW- Where can i get the xtra battery....and...is there a way to get a 4Gb microdrive for less than what is on ebay? Even a 2Gb for cheap? I hear that you can't cannibalize muvo2's anymore.

Jun 22, 2004 at 12:30 AM Post #10 of 17
For the record some of use are using our iPods for more than just playing MP3s. I use the organizing features for contacts and calendar. I check movie listings and read NYTimes headlines, etc. Not to mention a storage device between computers. Basically I sold my Palm, once I got the iPod.

I use Pod2Go, but there are others.

Jun 22, 2004 at 6:16 AM Post #11 of 17
I use my 1940 for notes, lists, calendar (work + private), alarms, email and web browsing (bluetooth + GPRS phone T616) and Quicken expense entry. I don't use it for mp3 playback but as I recall the sound from it was pretty good, more than useable. Unfotunately that one has 2.5mm jack, so if you forget the adapter - and you ALWAYS do - then you can't listen. Besides, it kills the battery which already lasts only a short while.

Jun 23, 2004 at 5:46 AM Post #12 of 17
I've been using GSPlayer for years. The "Add dir." function has been there for years. Only it's called "find file" and it's under "file". You can also have it choose all sub-directories under the directory you choose as well.

So for me, I have a directory called "My Music", in which contains other directories (JPop, English, etc.). All I have to do is go to "find file", check "include Sub Foldres", and choose "My music". All my files will be scanned.

I was using the Ipaq bass boost the entire time before I read your post. I'll
try out your way and see how it goes!

Jun 24, 2004 at 9:04 PM Post #13 of 17
Wow!! Nice to see such a turnout of people actually having used or willing to use the PDAs as an alternative...

The 4gb microdrive I use I got off ebay, obviously ripped from a Muvo2... However the new Muvo2's have solder on their microdrives and a new plug that won't allow it to be used with any other hardware like the ones found in the IPOD mini... I got mine for $242 shipped which I think is an excelent price because the original drive cost $499, and the Muvo2 originally cost $200 (before shipping) and a 512 SD card cost ~$250 where as a 2gb CF card cost ~200 - ~250... There isn't much value in these, HOWEVER!! I can take 3000 pics with max settings on my 4 megapix digital camera with the VERY SAME CARD, where as the IPOD mini / Muvo2 won't allow you to transfer out the CF drive... I'm rambling on and maybe down playing the DAPs out there, but I'm very techy and even as some stated about the IPOD being able to organize, it won't beat the IPAQ in versatility... I would however pick the IHP 120 as my choice of DAP if I had to spend on one... Simply because of battery life / $ per GB alone...

http://www.gethightech.com/Merchant2...gory_Code=BATT

This is the link to the 2000mah battery which is a MUST if you plan on using a microdrive... This is the cheapest place you can get it even cheaper than ebay if ebay has any... The manufacture is Mugen, the battery is lith-ion like the original battery so no memory effect and it lasts 300 - 500 charges (approx 2 - 3 years on regular useage from date of construction)

http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA032810/

That is the link to the newest GSPlayer... I haven't used IPlay but I'll look into it!! As far as sound goes, I've compared this to Pocket Player, WithMP3, Media Player, and NOTHING comes even remotely close to GSPlayer 2.06... I've used GSPlayer 1.92 from an old link before I got my hands on the 2.06 and the 2.06 has VASTLY improved even over itself... I haven't tried WinampAQ yet and I'll give that a go along with IPlay...

As far as SQ goes, I'd set the preamp where the slider box's right edge meets the center line... By default, the preamp's slider box is set in the middle of the line, however by lowering it just a bit, I get a lot more SQ from the mids where the tight drums hit... I get a crackle very very minor if I left the preamp on the default setting...

I've been using the bass boost on the IPaq default tuner, and only find it enjoyable if you're all into bass and work in a very loud enviorment... It suffers a lot in the mids where it shows a lot of crackle and distortion... You can lower some bands to suit your music... I've had success lowering the first 3 bands to match each song, however, there isn't a custom EQ setting for each song, when a new song comes up with mega bass, then the distortion comes back to haunt you... Still, if you love bass, the IPaq boost does provide a lot of shake to the ATH-A900s... I'd still pick using the EQ for my ballards...

I know I can save the EQ settings, maybe I'll upload those when I find a way to host them...

Jun 24, 2004 at 9:55 PM Post #14 of 17
Great review, and I'm glad you're happy with the 2210 for audio because I couldn't get my head around it. I don't hear silence between notes or anything like that. What I hear is a very powerful but harsh headphone out, and you can hear everything going on inside the 2210. The px200s were most forgiving of this though. That said, it's way better than a Tungsten T, Ipaq 3630, Jornada 568, or Fujitsu Loox (the old loox 610). But would it beat the Clie n770c? Not sure, but the Clie did have that extra feature of the external jog dial...

I wouldn't use my ipod as my Calendar (although I do sync it with ical when I'm syncing everything as a matter of course), same as I don't like my 2210 for audio. But I do think PDA audio has come a long way, especially in the storage abilities and the better audio software available.

As a shameless plug, if you're a Stocks and Weather today user/Pocketbreeze/Wisbar Advance/Spb Pocketplus, my husband Juni has a new skin suite for sale that you might be interested in. Check out Juni's PPC Skins - he's the one that won the contest posted in the news item over Pocketpcthoughts.
smily_headphones1.gif

Ok, end shameless plug.
biggrin.gif

Jun 25, 2004 at 8:19 AM Post #15 of 17
What kinds of settings / what program did you use to run your music in? In GSPlayer, between tracks, there is just dead silence (this is a hardware trick) and during the song, you get the hiss, but it's the recorded hiss that comes with any solid state amps... I haven't had the luck to test out too many PDAs, I am however interested... I'm thinking about stopping by best buys and tinkering with a few of those...

As for the PX200s, how high is the headroom on those headphones? I find that a high headroom is needed because you CAN get a lot of clean signal comming out of the IPAQ, however, you have to adjust it through the software and match it to your song... The headphone out is a bit stronger than your average CD player so you have to have a bit of headroom to compensate for the added power...

I also recently tinkered a bit more with the GSPlayer EQ because it's built so well that you can actually fix a lot of distortion errors with it... What I did was lower the bass bands (first 3) with an upward slope, dropped the 1K band slightly and left everything untouched mostly... Then I went and turned up the stock bass adjuster and treble on the unit... The bass I took a tick or two past center, and treble all the way up... The sound comming out of this is pretty amazing... I got very very rich bass, bass so good that when I put my headphones back into my 100x5 receiver and felt a great disgust... I then listened to the same songs on my speakers and found a HUGE void in my mids...

I think the head-fi in me has finally caught up to me... I'm ashamed of my Pioneer 100x5 receiver and also a bit of disgust with my Cerwin Vega V-12F... I've grown soooo attached to the IPAQ + ATH-A900 that anything else sounds lacking... (the only thing lacking however is the overwhelming bass I get out of my car audio) I'm awaiting to see if I can afford an amp to go along with this combo to bring out some better colors...

Some of you might think I'm crazy lol, but heck, this little setup beat my home stereo and I for one can't believe it either...

I'm somewhat down to meet some head-fi ers in the bay area sometime... If I hear so many great things about portable setups, I want to get my listen in and compare what I think great music is...

My friend has been stingy with his IPOD so I haven't got a chance to test it yet... However, when I do I'll just give my comparison...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back