iPad (or iPad 2) and 24-bit files
Feb 10, 2012 at 6:26 AM Post #62 of 69
Hi guys, can I ask if the Fostex hp-p1 be able to play the 24bit files as they are or would it down-sample them?

Apr 12, 2012 at 12:53 PM Post #63 of 69
Has anyone that successfully loaded files higher than 24/48 onto Music Player on their iPad now notice a crackling noise when playing them through a USB DAC?  I have been experiencng it while playing FLAC files at 24/88 or higher via FLAC Player.  I am using a Fiio E17 with a powered USB hub.  I am working with Dan Leehr to try and fix this problem with FLAC Player, but I wanted to see if it was isolated to FLAC Player or if it pertained to all higher res files regardless of player.  I will try to load some AIFF or ALAC copies of my FLAC files via the method described above.  I am using Windows Vista and Foobar 2000 to do the conversion.  I'll chime in with my results.

BTW, this crackling noise all started to present itself after I updated to iOS 5.1.  Prior to the update, there was no crackling noise.

Nov 25, 2012 at 12:50 PM Post #64 of 69
Quote:
Okay, this was waaaay more complicated than I expected. Guess I got lucky yesterday. And unfortunately it doesn't give me confidence that the option will always be around, but results below.

As yesterdays 'discovery' used a couple tracks from Explorations In Space And Time in 24/192 FLAC converted in Max to AIFF, I used a Reference Recording HRx disc this time (hint: results similar). And I can see why other are having problems. There is another solution, which was Benchmarks and I'll get to that at the end.

First track of Exotic Dances from the Opera HRx. 24/176.4 8476 kbps WAV file.

Dragged from Finder to directly docked iPad in iTunes (under devices): Success

Placed WAV into iTunes and dragged to docked iPad: 'Was not copied as this file cannot be played on this iPad'

WAV converted to ALAC in iTunes (confirmed in Get Info to be 24/176.4, listed as 4386 kbps): 'Was not copied as this file cannot be played on this iPad'

WAV converted to AIFF in iTunes (all automatic settings - confirmed in Get Info to be shifted to 16/176.4, listed as 5644 kbps - no 24 bit settings to force): 'Was not copied as this file cannot be played on this iPad'

Converted ALAC from iTunes opened in Finder, directly dragged back to docked iPad in iTunes: 'Was not copied as this file cannot be played on this iPad'

WAV converted in Max 0.9.1 to AIFF (linear PCM - confirmed 24-bit with 8467 kbps tested both AIFF and AIF as extension) and dragged from Finder directly to docked iPad in iTunes: Success

iTunes ALAC converted in Max to AIFF (linear PCM - 24-bit with 8467 kbps) and dragged from Finder directly to docked iPad in iTunes: Success

Max AIFFs added to iTunes and then dragged to iPad: 'Was not copied as this file cannot be played on this iPad'

WAV converted in Max to ALAC (automatic settings with 4280 kbps file produced) and dragged from Finder directly to docked iPad in iTunes: 'Was not copied as this file cannot be played on this iPad'

WAV converted in Max to ALAC added to iTunes and then dragged to iPad: 'Was not copied as this file cannot be played on this iPad'

So for locally stored music the key seems to be (at least with OS X) get Max involved, convert to 24-bit AIFF/AIF (to keep tags over WAV), set iTunes to 'manually manage music and videos'  and drag files directly to the iPad in iTunes instead of adding to your library first. Or use FLAC Player. I'm more confused now.

That's onboard though. Rereading the Benchmark piece they were all about streaming. Turning on Home Sharing opens up your iTunes library to your iPad and 24-bit files there, such as the ALAC iTunes produced files I was unable to load to the iPad. I can confirm streamed those files output correctly up to 24/94 (maybe more my V-Link is the bottleneck). 

Have similarly tested the Squeezepad (with in app streaming) and iPeng HD and unfortunately they seem to downsample everything to 16/44.1 for the iPad, unless I'm missing a setting somewhere on the server.  

Hi All,
I am wondering what is the current (pun intended) state-of-the-art for high-resolution audio files out of the iPad?
Is it this post above?    
Do I merely rip using the FLAC player I found today in iTunes?  
Or do I need to do the converting-drag-and-dropping?
Should I bother with the Matrix Audio DC for "only" 24/96 ?

There is a lot in this thread, and I am looking for what is still relevant as of today, 25 November 2012.  Thank you !

Mar 29, 2014 at 5:45 PM Post #65 of 69
Hello People,
I'm trying to see if I could play ALAC files at 24/96 on an iPad 1 (iOs 5.5.1) AND output them to a car head unit (JVC XR 810) - it's a DAC of sorts (it has a DAC and the connection is a USB one) I'll try and get i to work via the CCK. I can play ALAC files already but I understand even if they are 24/96 the iPad actually outputs them at 16/48(?).

I hope that with the CCK I'll be able to output 24/96 - what makes this a bit more complicated being a car environment is that I was to still be able to control the iPad via the head unit (Skip songs, browse albums etc).

I managed to get 24/96 ALAC files on the iPad using copytrans manager - itunes won't let me - even though it does report the files at 24/96 after they are in there.

If it does play music - I wonder if there is any way for me to find out at what resolution the iPad outputs?

Please do share your thoughts,.

Thanks!

Mar 30, 2014 at 1:57 AM Post #66 of 69
  Hello People,
I'm trying to see if I could play ALAC files at 24/96 on an iPad 1 (iOs 5.5.1) AND output them to a car head unit (JVC XR 810) - it's a DAC of sorts (it has a DAC and the connection is a USB one) I'll try and get i to work via the CCK. I can play ALAC files already but I understand even if they are 24/96 the iPad actually outputs them at 16/48(?).

I hope that with the CCK I'll be able to output 24/96 - what makes this a bit more complicated being a car environment is that I was to still be able to control the iPad via the head unit (Skip songs, browse albums etc).

I managed to get 24/96 ALAC files on the iPad using copytrans manager - itunes won't let me - even though it does report the files at 24/96 after they are in there.

If it does play music - I wonder if there is any way for me to find out at what resolution the iPad outputs?

Please do share your thoughts,.

Thanks!

I can't help with all your questions, but the iPad music app outputs ALAC at 16/48 max - to do 24/96 output or playback you need to use FLAC player and FLAC files (does VLC do 24/96?).  I seem to recall reading once that you can stream 24/96 music over a home network but I forget what app and file format you use to do that, but again, the built-in music player down samples the hi-res ALAC music for playback.

If I recall, only the iPad (not iPhone) can be loaded with 24/96 ALAC, but it still down samples it for playback.  If you connect the iPad > CCK > typical USB DAC like a DAC that connects to a computer, then you WILL get 24/96 output with FLAC PLAYER.  I don't think the head unit in the car is designed to play music that way.  Possibly it can detect whether you have an iPad or USB thumb drive, and play the digital music on them.

However, if your car head unit has a USB input that "controls the iPad" (like a honda crosstour that I test drove) then you should connect the stock 30-pin to USB to the car USB, not use a CCK. 

Jul 6, 2014 at 11:45 AM Post #68 of 69
  Hi all, I am new to iPads…can they output 24/96 native through the built-in headphone jack?  I may also attach a Dragonfly Audioquest via USB later on.

In particular I was looking at the iPad mini retina & iPad Air.

No.  The built-in headphone jack is tied to the internal DAC, which is limited to 24/48 (some say 16/48 - don't know which is correct).

The only way to get higher rates is to use an external DAC connected via USB through the Camera Connection Kit - then you're only limited by the capabilities of your DAC via USB.

Nov 19, 2014 at 3:13 PM Post #69 of 69

No.  The built-in headphone jack is tied to the internal DAC, which is limited to 24/48 (some say 16/48 - don't know which is correct).

The only way to get higher rates is to use an external DAC connected via USB through the Camera Connection Kit - then you're only limited by the capabilities of your DAC via USB.

So if I used plex ios iPad app to stream ALAC files from my media server and connected my iPad to an external dac use the CCK kit, I would get 24/96?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back