Ipad / iPhone help
Aug 14, 2013 at 3:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

muppet

Head-Fier
Hello all

I have taken the decision to use an ipad along with an iPhone for my music pleasures

My dilemma is I have hd 25, although on the ipad mini there is a marked improvement on the heaphone jack over ipad 3 and iPhone, the sound pretty good but I feel when the music gets complex the shrinks, secondly there's a lack of sound stage, thirdly I like a little more openness hoping this will bring out a bit more detail. I will keep the hd25 I - II for portable use, I listen to mixed music but mainly main stream stuff, police, massive attack, sia, dire straights, elbow, queen, and Paul Welles etc etc, here we go

I live in a flat so if open backed really can't afford much sound to leak, I have 3 year another baby due in November and a wife :D

Budget is not unlimited

This needs to sound musical not sterile, I want my toes to tap !

It could be a simple as adding just new headphones or involve and amp and/or dac, but I would much prefer to use a dac that will work straight from the lightning connector not the cck kit, I suppose I should say I device dedicated. Like Fostex hp-p1, cypher labs algorithm, hrt istreamer etc

Remember this is for home use not portable, so amps etc are limited in size proportions

Please if you could help and give me some pointers

Already recommended :-

Beyerdynamic t1
Beyerdynamic t5
Hrt I streamer
Naim headline ( naim equipment noted for there ability to sound fun)
Fostex hp p1 (especially with the t1 )

Cheers
Karl

Aug 15, 2013 at 3:45 AM Post #2 of 16
What about Fostex TH600 and Leckerton UHA-6S.MKII?
I've heard the Fostex TH600 with my UHA-6S, and they sounded awesome. The Leckertons also has a DAC that works with CCK.
Overall sound is very musical with slightly boosted bass, rich mids, and smooth but fancy treble.

Aug 15, 2013 at 6:23 AM Post #3 of 16
Get the Sony PHA-1 for $350.  It is pretty much the cheapest MFi DAC/AMP for iDevices right now with a very clear DAC and decent AMP.  Well worth a try.

Aug 15, 2013 at 7:36 AM Post #4 of 16
What about Fostex TH600 and Leckerton UHA-6S.MKII?
I've heard the Fostex TH600 with my UHA-6S, and they sounded awesome. The Leckertons also has a DAC that works with CCK.
Overall sound is very musical with slightly boosted bass, rich mids, and smooth but fancy treble.

Cheers, I'm a little unclear will this work without a cck kit, I'd rather not have all the connection involved in a cck kit

Thanks

Aug 15, 2013 at 7:44 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:
I like cheap but how would this compare with hp-p1 Fostex ?

I'm interested all the same

Thanks

I don't have a HP-P1 so I can't be 100% sure, but for it's price is well worth it.  SQ wise the PHA-1 is identical to the AQDF in DAC mode, and very similar to my VentureCraft SounDroid Typhoon in iDevice mode.  Only the power of my V-MODA VERZA trumps it.

Aug 15, 2013 at 8:22 AM Post #8 of 16
I don't have a HP-P1 so I can't be 100% sure, but for it's price is well worth it.  SQ wise the PHA-1 is identical to the AQDF in DAC mode, and very similar to my VentureCraft SounDroid Typhoon in iDevice mode.  Only the power of my V-MODA VERZA trumps it.

Hi thanks for the feed back, here in the most of what you mentioned is not available

Aug 15, 2013 at 8:29 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Hi thanks for the feed back, here in the most of what you mentioned is not available

Where are you?  Try Rakuten Global if Amazon or eBay won't work.

Aug 15, 2013 at 9:24 AM Post #13 of 16

Users who are viewing this thread

Back