iPad DAC vs Fiio E7 DAC
Mar 20, 2011 at 3:00 AM Post #2 of 10

Wait, what?

I'm not too sure what you're getting at here...

I have them both, so I obviously have the experience...but I'm not too sure what you're looking for.

The E7 isn't really a portable SOURCE, the iPad is.
Quote:
if you have experienced both, I'd like to hear how they compared.

Mar 20, 2011 at 9:20 PM Post #4 of 10

BUT if one were to do the comparison, this would be the way to go.

Ipad-> usb connection-> AlgoRhythm-> E7 (for DAC then amp)    <--This is for you to use both the DAC and amp function of e7
Ipad-> line out-> E7                                                         <--This setup only allows you to use only the amp function of e7.

OR using the camera kit,

Ipad-> camera kit-> E7
Ipad->line out-> E7

Mar 21, 2011 at 9:56 AM Post #6 of 10
which gives you access to its line-out. At this point the digital signal already has been processed by the DAC inside the ipad. Also, line out only give access to unamplified analog signal. This only allows you to use a different amp than the one inside ipad.

Mar 21, 2011 at 10:02 AM Post #7 of 10

Quote:
which gives you access to its line-out. At this point the digital signal already has been processed by the DAC inside the ipad. Also, line out only give access to unamplified analog signal. This only allows you to use a different amp than the one inside ipad.

That is new to me. I never know camera connection kit has an analog line out.
Have you check this thread out yet?
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/507559/list-of-dacs-that-work-with-ipad

Mar 21, 2011 at 11:14 AM Post #8 of 10

Quote:

Sorry about that. I think what makes the distinction between the camera kit and the AlgoRhythm is in that while camera kit allows you to get the digital signal to be processed with an external DAC, AlgoRhythm skips the camera kit and can take out the digital signal. From here you have the choice of using a separate DAC or to use the DAC inside AlgoRhythm and send to an amp.

So yes, you can use the camera kit, as well as the setup I wrote above.

Mar 28, 2011 at 11:32 AM Post #9 of 10

Quote:
if you have experienced both, I'd like to hear how they compared.

With the E7 as DAC, the sound is slightly better - a little widening on the soundstage, the highs are more controlled (less painful on the ears), and I would say the mids are punchy when the recording is strong but they hide a little more when weak.  When the volume goes up, the difference is more apparent between the two, and it ends up that I prefer E7.

I would say that having the E7 DAC/Amp setup is also better than E7 Amp (LOD cable only) on iPad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back