Ipad DAC/DAP vs external DAC/DAP...
Jan 22, 2023 at 6:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

horaspaul

New Head-Fier
With a USB C adaptor and splitter, I managed to connect my Ipad Air 5 to a Schiit Fulla and can hear some difference with the native Ipad sound. Also, the Schiit Fulla needs power so this is not exactly a portable rig.

I'd like hear from y'all what this means:
is this just Bluetooth headphones can't sound better than cabling to an external DAP?

Does this mean that any Dongle DAP will sound better than the native Ipad Bluetooth?

Long time lurker here.
Love your expertise!
Paul

Jan 22, 2023 at 6:16 PM Post #2 of 11
Schiit Fulla is not Bluetooth, so not really sure what your asking?

Jan 22, 2023 at 6:35 PM Post #3 of 11
Sorry, I was using some Sony bluetooth headphones and comparing them to the Schiit headphone out setup.
That's a comparison between sound output on an Ipad, no?
The Bluetooth headphones vs analog hard cable setup you can do through USB C Ipads.

Jan 22, 2023 at 6:50 PM Post #4 of 11
I guess I would rather go with a USB dongle, over Bluetooth
Like an iBasso DC05 or FiiO KA3 dongle.

Jan 23, 2023 at 7:04 PM Post #5 of 11
Yes, after A/B comparison between Soundcore Life Note E bluetooth ear buds and Sony bluetooth headphones,
I can say with certainty that the offboard DAC/Amp Schiit Fulla (an early generation) sounds like the veil has been lifted.
The music I tested sounded fuller, richer and had much better atmospherics in my head than the bluetooth.
It took a couple days because I had to find a Mogood USB C splitter.
Thanks for paying attention!
By the way, is this the appropriate forum to discuss this? I'm kind of newbie...
Paul

Jan 23, 2023 at 7:11 PM Post #6 of 11
Yes, after A/B comparison between Soundcore Life Note E bluetooth ear buds and Sony bluetooth headphones,
I can say with certainty that the offboard DAC/Amp Schiit Fulla (an early generation) sounds like the veil has been lifted.
The music I tested sounded fuller, richer and had much better atmospherics in my head than the bluetooth.
It took a couple days because I had to find a Mogood USB C splitter.
Thanks for paying attention!
By the way, is this the appropriate forum to discuss this? I'm kind of newbie...
Paul
Seems like the right forum to discuss this.

Jan 26, 2023 at 10:16 AM Post #7 of 11
The title is a bit wrong here; you're not using the iPad DAC in either case since there is no headphone output. You're comparing two wireless headphones with different built-in DACs to a USB-C wired dedicated DAC/AMP and some other wired headphone you didn't specify. The iPad is only acting as the media transport/source in this case.

Look at it this way:
Digital transmission of the music to the DAC: Wired (full bandwidth) > Bluetooth (AAC/SBC - compressed bandwidth)
Conversion of the music from digital to analog: Schitt Fulla (dedicated chipset) versus Soundcore built in DAC and Sony built in DAC
Amplification of analog signal to sound drivers: Schitt Fulla (dedicated amp to headphone output) versus Soundcore built in and Sony built in
Sound reproduction from analog signal: Wired headphones versus Soundcore drivers and Sony drivers

Mar 11, 2023 at 4:18 PM Post #8 of 11
I've read through this discussion and have question - I'm using an iPad Air 4th Generation that I use as an audio source. This goes into a Schiit DAC and then a Schiit amplifier. I use Audeze LCD-x or Grade Hemp cans. Question - in your opinion is the iPad as a source sufficient (using largest files possible from Apple Music)? Or is the iPad the weak point in the whole system?

Mar 11, 2023 at 4:30 PM Post #9 of 11
I've read through this discussion and have question - I'm using an iPad Air 4th Generation that I use as an audio source. This goes into a Schiit DAC and then a Schiit amplifier. I use Audeze LCD-x or Grade Hemp cans. Question - in your opinion is the iPad as a source sufficient (using largest files possible from Apple Music)? Or is the iPad the weak point in the whole system?
I am using Tidal on the iPad Pro, feeding my Cayin RU6 dongle DAC. Plenty of power, even for Audeze LCD-XC. My belief is that I am getting a bit perfect stream into my DAC. With “Master” tracks, the RU6 shows 88.2 or 96 Khz sampling.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2023 at 9:20 PM Post #10 of 11
I am using Tidal on the iPad Pro, feeding my Cayin RU6 dongle DAC. Plenty of power, even for Audeze LCD-XC. My belief is that I am getting a bit perfect stream into my DAC. With “Master” tracks, the RU6 shows 88.2 or 96 Khz sampling.
Thank you for the explanation. Sounds like Tidal is a great resource, and the iPad is a good DAP!

Mar 12, 2023 at 1:31 PM Post #11 of 11

Users who are viewing this thread

Back