iPad 2 first impressions. Will you be getting one ?
Mar 3, 2011 at 6:15 AM Post #31 of 249

Quote:
They should have just had a front facing camera and made it a good one for facetiming. Also, more storage would have been very useful, otherwise is it really a media friendly device?

All the other tablets have two cameras, FaceTiming looks fine on the videos, and the rear camera is better than having one and having to turn the device around to show people (or your girlfriend hur hur) something.

Although for non-disposable media (RSS, YouTube, news apps e.t.c.) the entry level 16GB isn't massive, with things like AirPlay and Airdrop coming, in the home at least, storage will be a non-issue. It's only if you take the iPad out a lot for work or whatever that you'll have to use iTunes and synching to prioritise what stays on the device and what gets saved on iTunes to be swapped about depending. 

Mar 3, 2011 at 6:28 AM Post #32 of 249
So, no hdmi, no usb, no sd, no better screen (pixelqi,oled,retina), over 600grams. It's the same thing all over again, this time with dual core. At least it's not more expensive.

Mar 3, 2011 at 7:03 AM Post #33 of 249
no flash... pass (again)

Mar 3, 2011 at 7:20 AM Post #34 of 249

Quote:
So, no hdmi, no usb, no sd, no better screen (pixelqi,oled,retina), over 600grams. It's the same thing all over again, this time with dual core. At least it's not more expensive.

As with many things from Apple, connectivity is available--at a price. HDMI and SD with additional accessories. But yep, I'm bummed the screen is the same, and the weight is very similar.

Quote:
no flash... pass (again)

Doesn't look like you'll buy any of the iDevices, then. It's safe to assume Apple will not have Flash for the foreseeable future.

Regarding concerns on storage space: the average consumer's more likely to store photos and videos, rather than music, on an iPad, right? (Even if they put music on an iPad it won't be at the bitrates most of us use too.) How much space do you think they'll need for that?

Mar 3, 2011 at 7:56 AM Post #35 of 249
Look on the bright side though.  Apple did something that's very new for them.  They have discounted the original Ipad by 100.  There will be a lot of those moving off shelves this weekend!!

BTW, did anyone like the garage band app?  That's a lot of app for 5 bucks. 

But compared to the competition, the Ipad 2 is a good value.  I might upgrade mine close to the time that the Ipad 3 is due out!!

Mar 3, 2011 at 8:04 AM Post #37 of 249

Quote:

Regarding concerns on storage space: the average consumer's more likely to store photos and videos, rather than music, on an iPad, right? (Even if they put music on an iPad it won't be at the bitrates most of us use too.) How much space do you think they'll need for that?

The average user's more likely to go "OOOO! Shiny new ipad2!" Then they'll plop down $700 and enjoy all of the quasi-flash games and random apps they can download. Nothing wrong with that really, but it doesn't change the fact that the ipad is still a mindless consumption device.

My dad bought a 16gb a few months ago, it's neat looking and has the typical "apple effect", but doesn't really do anything an itouch or smart phone can't. Which is why I don't see the point in it, save up another $400 and get a macbook if you must have apple, or just a windows netbook.

Mar 3, 2011 at 8:53 AM Post #38 of 249
Even though the weight change is quite small, everyone reviewing it has said the feel of the thing is completely different. It feels lighter but sturdier and sits in the hand differently. Don't think they can get the weight down much more without breakthroughs in battery tech though, since that's what makes up most of the weight.

As for how 'necessary' the iPad is, I could dredge up a lot of posts by others on other (non-Apple!) forums where they couldn't live without it. These are typically either family homes where the main computer isn't in the living room, older people who find the screen of phones too small and fiddly, and for people who commute and want some basic entertainment/productivity stuff without the clunkiness of using a netbook. Some of these people were sceptical initially but found themselves increasingly not bothering to turn their computers on, or having to prise it from their children.

I wouldn't buy one till I was commuting into London for a job (here's hoping!), but even at home I would rather build up an iBooks collection to read on it, replacing my physical books, use it for browsing in bed or downstairs when I'm with other people rather than hiding in my room, as a better remote for Airplay e.t.c. Of course I can do all this on my phone, but by the same extension I could do all of this on my computer as well, it's just nice being able to do it on something that weighs nothing but is pretty powerful and has a big enough screen to read books comfortably.

Mar 3, 2011 at 11:36 AM Post #39 of 249

Quote:
Will I be getting one?

If it had a built in USB port, I would be a lot closer to getting one.  Yeah, I know there is a Camera Connection Kit that works for audio, but I'd still like it to have a full fledged USB port. 

This is the key for me...and should be the key to anyone regarding err headphones.  The camera connection kit is a jerry rigged solution at best  Iits prone to being bumped out and forces you to hold the ipad in one position.....Im sure DRM/closed itunes platform has everything to do with it, but i hate the camera doggle thingee,

Mar 3, 2011 at 12:02 PM Post #40 of 249
I think I may have to get one, possibly selling my original 32 GB Ipad, may wait to play around with it though.

Mar 3, 2011 at 12:17 PM Post #42 of 249
The only reason I want an iPad is because our Florida condo at Palm Coast does not have internet.  We have cable but no internet. And since we spend upwards of a month or so there, the greatest feature of the iPad is that I can buy monthly internet time at a reasonable price to stay in touch with family, friends and business I do--which can be done over the internet

That said, though, don't care if I get a gen 1, gen2 or gen-whatever.  I'd really prefer a Nook --now on ebay for under $200 with a $50 coupon--but Nook doesn't have internet capabilities I can buy on a monthly basis

Mar 3, 2011 at 12:23 PM Post #43 of 249

Quote:
This is the key for me...and should be the key to anyone regarding err headphones.  The camera connection kit is a jerry rigged solution at best  Iits prone to being bumped out and forces you to hold the ipad in one position.....Im sure DRM/closed itunes platform has everything to do with it, but i hate the camera doggle thingee,

And as any longtime Apple user knows, Apple charges you out the wazoo for their "genunie" accessories. $30 for a USB cable. I don't know what the cost of the camera connection kit is, but I'm sure it's not cheap. They lost me as a "loyal" fan when they started doing crap like slightly changing the iPod USB cord with each new iPod gen - for absolutely no good reason except to cause you innconvience and force you to buy another overpriced accessory. Why no simple USB or memory card slot? Apple's probably pulling in $60 million a year in accessories. There's your answer. They're not thinking consumer. they're thinking pocketbook.

Mar 3, 2011 at 12:51 PM Post #44 of 249

Quote:

And as any longtime Apple user knows, Apple charges you out the wazoo for their "genunie" accessories. $30 for a USB cable. I don't know what the cost of the camera connection kit is, but I'm sure it's not cheap. They lost me as a "loyal" fan when they started doing crap like slightly changing the iPod USB cord with each new iPod gen - for absolutely no good reason except to cause you innconvience and force you to buy another overpriced accessory. Why no simple USB or memory card slot? Apple's probably pulling in $60 million a year in accessories. There's your answer. They're not thinking consumer. they're thinking pocketbook.

Your right...i was forced to buy redundant ipod cables and a camera kit for thirty bucks each. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back