iOS device to abandon 3.5mm jack? What's the implication for Head-Fiers?
Jun 6, 2014 at 7:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

sutjahjo

100+ Head-Fier
According to this Forbes article http://onforb.es/1rO7VAQ, Apple will abandon the 3.5mm jack.

I use iPod only in my car stereo so it's a non issue for me.

Adapters are available but I think it is a game changer for those who use iDevice as a source and have several iems, ciems and headphones in their possession.

Perhaps it's time to upgrade to a better DAP?

Regards
sutjahjo

Jun 6, 2014 at 8:09 PM Post #2 of 12
In the short term I am not worried as the article points out, it would years before the 3.5mm would if ever be eliminated. Also, I cannot see Apple giving free lightning enabled EarPods to every purchaser of an iPhone. Finally, to my knowledge, use of the lightning out is purely digital so either the headphone would have to have a built in DAC or require the consumer to buy a DAC. A rather cumbersome and costly route.

Jun 6, 2014 at 8:18 PM Post #3 of 12
Not always, dac chips are small and they can not only easily produce their own circuitry, they can develop ways to make it smaller. Though I can't imagine it being done in little IEMS maybe they'll have like a headband and it could be inside there, but who knows.

Personally I think it's a cool idea, but it seems like they really want to isolate themselves, which would explain why they bought beats recently, so that only beats will work with iphones.

Jun 9, 2014 at 10:35 AM Post #5 of 12
There's another thread which is along the same lines.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/721669/good-news-for-apple-lightning-fans

I think Apple are completely aware of the power they have and sales numbers. With a large percentage of consumer owning an Apple device what's it going to hurt them buying a headphone that connects straight to their favourite phone?

And what popular headphone would be perfect? Beats headphones come to mind, does anyone know who bought beats recently? 
wink.gif

Jun 9, 2014 at 11:07 AM Post #6 of 12

I think Apple are completely aware of the power they have and sales numbers. With a large percentage of consumer owning an Apple device what's it going to hurt them buying a headphone that connects straight to their favourite phone?

And what popular headphone would be perfect? Beats headphones come to mind, does anyone know who bought beats recently? :wink:  

So sorry, I didn't see that thread before starting one. The scary thing about that thread is most people are actually happy with such potentially predatory practices.

Jun 9, 2014 at 11:35 AM Post #7 of 12
So sorry, I didn't see that thread before starting one. The scary thing about that thread is most people are actually happy with such potentially predatory practices.

I agree and was thinking about it earlier. While Apple are trying to (or will) virtually take full control of its users, the users themselves have nothing but praise. It's a strange system Apple have in general but the consumer live and love it blindly.

Take the Android and iOS wars, I love Android and find Apples user interface boring but there's millions of people who'll disagree. I guess the next question is long term (many many years) how Apples plans effect us.

Jun 9, 2014 at 1:12 PM Post #8 of 12
Well I'm in the same boat with a lot of other head-fiers, if they do get rid of it, I guess I'll be switching brands.

I'm by no means a fan of apple, I own an ipod touch 5g but that's it, in the world of overpriced do-dads I look at the Ak240 and compare it to the ipod and it doesn't seem so bad anymore, plus total functionality with itunes is a major plus.

Jun 9, 2014 at 1:22 PM Post #9 of 12
I like Apple products, but making a proprietary headphone connector is one of the stupidest business decisions I have ever heard. How well did the memory stick work for Sony?

Jun 9, 2014 at 1:30 PM Post #10 of 12

And what popular headphone would be perfect? Beats headphones come to mind, does anyone know who bought beats recently? 
wink.gif

^this!

kinda make sense now if Apple is indeed going this route. I'll be the first one to abandon their new daps.

Jun 9, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #11 of 12
^this!

kinda make sense now if Apple is indeed going this route. I'll be the first one to abandon their new daps.

It's not so bad introducing a headphone proprietary connector for thier product but throw in the 'our devices will no longer support 3.5mm connections' is the real "it's our way or the highway"

That's where they're going to shear sheep by the dozen. •Apple behind closed doors• Oil up the clippers boys! It's a shearing time!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back