Investments surround the order of cables
Apr 17, 2008 at 4:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

r3cc0s

500+ Head-Fier
In my experience, and of course this is my subjective opinion, that the order of which are the most impacting cable changes and the order of investing in them is as follows:

1. Speaker Cables

2. Power Cables

3. Interconnects

Most people would think that I am insane to place power cables before interconnects, but I'll be honest... that change was the second most noticeable change in my system next to speaker cables.

I think the case is, "good" interconnects can be had at a relatively inexpensive entry point.
Trying a few, I am still using $50 1 meter PCAs and though other interconnects I have tried, really seems to change the flavor of the sound, rather than focus on delivering the "potential" of the equipment.

#1 Speaker cables...
Wow and again it is one of those things, where companies should "sell" what you need to drive your speakers to their optimum, but they never seem to categorize like that, as their lineups reflect their compentancy and quality.
Easily you can reach the areas of "diminishing" returns quite quickly as with everything
But lets look at the opposite end... You will not be able to deliver the voltage from your Amplifier without a proper transmission medium.
Speaker cables, unlike Interconnects, should be bought upon it's ability to deliver the power in the most transparent method Period...
Not something you need to mess around with to achieve the flavor of sound you want, there are other things to change.

When I went to my RSC Prime 1000s from a set of locally made Straight Wire, turned my system from being the analytical machine into what it should have been... a Warm & Resolved system..
Bottom end improved drastically, yet the tonal characteristics still remained familiar , it was just "more & better". Yielding more spacial width and depth.

#2 Power Cables
Again, to me and others who share a similar line of thinking... I was a skeptic. However this was a surprising change, of which like above with speaker wire, comes down to picking out cables to optimize the potential of your source & amplification (and or other components).
I thought this was placebo or snake oil, but after trying a few difference cables out, the Volex 17504 so far appears to be a great fit.
And though, not quite as drastic of an improvement from the speaker wire change, what came out was again were subtle improvements, specifically around bass control and strangely also with instrumental separation.

#3 Interconnects
Incredibly important, but as in most cases, signal attenuation is lessened due to shorter lengths, yet there is a significant importance to match your system, due to impedance mismatches and grounding.
However in my search for interconnects, it just seemed to appear that it was "easier" to find a quality set without having to spend excessive cash, meaning you hit the wall of diminishing returns far quicker
When it comes down to ICs, it is too an impacting component, however often suits a purpose as a mitigation function.
Those who find a system too analytical and sibilant can change the sonic characteristics of their source by changing IC and vice versa with those who find their system too warm.
It is an area I think that transparency, though important, is often forgot for those who have an "idea" of what sound they want to obtain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back