Investment Help?
Feb 2, 2008 at 4:52 PM Post #16 of 24
1)Well...you want to first start off by having around 3 months worth of your bills in a savings account. That acts as a safety net. You don't want much more than three month's worth because then your money could be working harder for you elsewhere.

2)Next, as mentioned before you need to take advantage of any employer match/programs because usually there is free money involved and no one can beat free.

3)Decide what you want to save for. Short, mid or long term? This wil determine what vehicles you put your money into.

Short Term: You may want to deal with safer investments that yield less return and require little or no taxation when realized/sold. This would be money market accounts, bonds, etc.

Mid Term: Look into mutual funds and stocks. I prefer mutual funds because technically they can be safer because the basket of stocks can balance itself out in the even that a couple stocks do terrible. Stocks can yield a higher return but can also cause more damage if you have to much stock in one company at the wrong time.

Long Term: IRA's, Roth IRA's, Annuities, Permanent Life Insurance, 401k's, and many more. Start these early and do not withdraw from them until 59 and 1/2. The thing many people do wrong with retirement accounts is let them sit idle without utilizing options within them. You don't want your retirement account to be too aggressive as you want to have retirement money when it's all said and done. However, you don't want to essentially lose money due to the rate of inflation by leaving it in some account earning 6% rate of return. Permanent Life Insurance can work extremely well if setup right and if done with the right company. They earn a low return(around 4-8%) but with certain companies it is nearly guaranteed and also double backs as life insurance.

4) I hope this helps. The last thing I'd recommend is finding a financial advisor that is trustworthy. There are a ton of ways to get multiple tax deductions that most people would never know. They also know more than most people. The problem is finding someone you can trust, because nearly all of them work on commission and that can alter their judgement at times.

Also, the overall goal should be to have a diversified portfolio. That way, you do not have one category containing a large portion of your assets should something happen to it. It is easy to diversify, but it can be challenging to find the right amounts that should be put into the different categories.

Feb 2, 2008 at 5:02 PM Post #17 of 24
I would highly, highly, HIGHLY suggest heading over here: Bogleheads :: Index

It's like the HeadFi of investing. You won't see any talk of trading or stock picking on that forum. Instead what you'll get is responsible advice on asset allocation/retirement planning.

NOTE: TRADING IS NOT INVESTING. The 'gist' of most academic research, and many Nobel prizes, it that it is impossible to beat the market other than by luck. What you want to do is capture the entire asset class through indexing, and then plan your allocation for risk tolerance.

Investing is actually extremely easy. You just pick an asset allocation, choose an index fund, and rebalance once a year. Remember, almost half of millionaires do less than ONE trade a year.

Feb 2, 2008 at 5:54 PM Post #18 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Pa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay, let's do the math. Since $100K is a relatively small nut to start up on the floor with, and you've been doing this for twenty years and wouldn't "get out of bed" for 20% to 30% on your money, then we will assign you an average annual yield of a nice, conservative 40%. You should be sitting on $83.7 million now, plus whatever you have left over from your income and commissions, right?

Reducing to the ridiculous is always fun. Obviously, when I started 20 years ago I was learning the business or, as you say, how to cook - just like you had to go to school to become an attorney. After that, it got pretty good. Floor traders, unlike floor brokers, pay commissions, not receive them. There is also the small matter of paying for the cost of maintaining the exchange membership (CBOE - Seat Market Information), other fees and of course the IRS wants its share.

I also run a private equity fund that invests in company startups. Some work, some don't. So, am I sitting on $83.7M, not quite yet, but I'm a lot closer than you may think.

Feb 2, 2008 at 6:15 PM Post #19 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Czilla9000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
NOTE: TRADING IS NOT INVESTING. The 'gist' of most academic research, and many Nobel prizes, it that it is impossible to beat the market other than by luck. What you want to do is capture the entire asset class through indexing, and then plan your allocation for risk tolerance.

Investing is actually extremely easy. You just pick an asset allocation, choose an index fund, and rebalance once a year. Remember, almost half of millionaires do less than ONE trade a year.

While it is not possible to "time" the market, luck has little to do with trading either. Because of this, most floor traders actually follow random walk theory acknowledging the fact that predicting where the market will go is next to impossible. As far as the Nobel prize winners go, check out the history of Long Term Capital Management. It's all about risk management when holding a position, not luck. As with any business, you have costs. Losing trades are part of your costs and part of life in the market. The trick is not to have these costs outstrip your income.

It's much like a sales job when going out on calls. By and large, it's the minority of calls that result in orders, not the majority. Costs are incurred due to travel, creating and revising proposals, etc. The orders you do finally land should more than pay for the ones that didn't for the business to survive and flourish.

Diversification (which also includes asset allocation) alone is not a hedge. It only dilutes your losses and profits. Perhaps my original post should have been clearer about hedging, even as an "investor". And for the record, I do agree that trading is not investing.

My point, which was obviously lost, is that you need to protect yourself.

Feb 2, 2008 at 6:46 PM Post #21 of 24
Wow, Thanks folks!

I didn't expect such a slew of messages. I'd lie if I said it wasn't overwhelming.

I've got a lot of jargon to brush up on.

I started an account at investopedia and I've been lurking around bogleheads.

From my reading I've decided I need to start some passive investing- with school looming and work I won't have much time to monitor the stock market.

That said I- it seems to me I'll be spending my next month reading. Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back