Investing in my first full size phones (closed) and a matching dac/amp. Need guidelines/suggestions
Feb 1, 2016 at 11:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

hamedy

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, 

so I need closed back full-size cans for office. Never had any full size cans before. I'm the type that invests for long term use. Used my IE8's since they came out until 
a few months ago and recently bought the Westone ES50's to replace them. So I'm willing to up the game as long as I'm getting good value items that
are gonna serve me for a good time and make me smile when I listen to them! 

In terms of sound, I want them to come close to my Westones in terms of detail, clarity, quality of bass. I love punchy drums sound so no bass head but 
decent bass volume and good speed is a must. Warm midrange and enough details without being fatiguing for long use when I sit at my desk in the office 
for long hours. 

What I have found so far is the Mr Speaker Mad Dog pro's and maybe their higher tier phones. 

As for dac/amp, I've read many good things about the apogee groove. What is appealing to me about them is the absolute dead silent background, very good 
sound quality and it's compact form factor. I could have a Schiit audio stack on my desk in terms of space but if it takes only 30-40% more money to get the same sound
in a compact form factor I wouldn't mind. Do you have any suggestions in this area and any idea if that's a good match? 

Really looking forward to hear your recommendations. 
Thanks, 
Hamed

Feb 1, 2016 at 6:15 PM Post #2 of 4
So far the dac/amp candidates are the following

Oppo HA-2 
Apogee Groove

Really tempted to pull the trigger on the groove but would love to know how it compares to the Oppo when used with fullsize cans and also sensitive CIEM's. Come on guys shed some light here please! 

Feb 1, 2016 at 9:55 PM Post #3 of 4
Oppo HA-2 and Oppo PM-3.

Done and done.

Feb 2, 2016 at 4:38 AM Post #4 of 4
you think PM-3 is good enough? How about the closed back EL-8 ? 

Any comparison you could make between the HA-2 and Groove in terms of sounds? regardless of features or anything else? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back