Investing in first pair of IEM's? Help
May 9, 2006 at 10:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

supersonic1414

100+ Head-Fier
I am ready to enter the audiophile world of IEM headphones. My goal is a Sennsaphonic in the next year, but to start I will say that those and the Ultimate Ear UE 10 are not yet an option,

I listen to predominantly rock music, and am considering the UE Hi Fi Pro, Shure E5, and Etymiotics line. They will run off my ipod (will probably get an airhead or micro amp as well)...

For those experts out there, please offer suggestions/feedback on the above mentioned headphones, as well as others you might reccommend.

Thanks.

May 9, 2006 at 11:14 PM Post #2 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by supersonic1414
I listen to predominantly rock music, and am considering the UE Hi Fi Pro...

That'd be the UE Super.fi 5Pro, and IMO they are a great set of rock IEM's, particularly if you will not be getting an amp just yet.

May 9, 2006 at 11:25 PM Post #4 of 12
UE's, Shures and Etymotics would fit differently -- they have different form factors (for example, UE's stick out a bit but don't insert as deeply, Ety's tend to be smaller and insert more deeply, etc.). That could be an issue for you, as fit affects the seal and thus the sound. I don't have any of the three models you cite, but maybe people who have any one of them can shed some light on fit, comfort, etc.

I'm sure, though, that you will get something that sounds very good, based on your shopping list.

May 9, 2006 at 11:28 PM Post #5 of 12
I don't have the e5c, but the SF5pros are extremely light compared to the e4's.

May 9, 2006 at 11:33 PM Post #6 of 12
Straight from an iPod, for predominantly rock music, I would say you have 2 choices:
1. Westone UM2........supremely comfy, non-tangling, non-microphonic cable and great bass and overall full sound.
2. UE Super.Fi5 Pro.......comfy, non-intrusive in the ear canal, not as isolating as the others, stick out a bit, great bass, non-fatiguing, full-rich sound with a large soundstage.
Hope this helps.
biggrin.gif

May 9, 2006 at 11:59 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by joelongwood
Straight from an iPod, for predominantly rock music, I would say you have 2 choices:
1. Westone UM2........supremely comfy, non-tangling, non-microphonic cable and great bass and overall full sound.
2. UE Super.Fi5 Pro.......comfy, non-intrusive in the ear canal, not as isolating as the others, stick out a bit, great bass, non-fatiguing, full-rich sound with a large soundstage.
Hope this helps.
biggrin.gif

Hmm.. I think I've decided on the Super.Fi5 Pro, even if it is stretching my budget.

Does anyone know where I can get them for the cheapest price, or from a Canadian retailer?

May 10, 2006 at 12:14 AM Post #8 of 12
I dearly love the E4C's. They benefit greatly from an amp, but don't need one. You can always pick up a cheap Cmoy or something off E-Bay without spending much $.

If you know you are going to get an a good amp in the future anyway, The E4C's have no downside. (And, by the way, if you keep hanging around this forum you'll sell your furniture to buy a headphone amp within 90 days).

Another reasonably priced add-on that makes a surprising improvement to the sound quality coming out of an i-pod is the Apple Remote Radio. If you put that thing between your I-Pod and the E4c's you will be a happy camper--at least for a little while. Do a search for "Apple Remote Radio" for details.

May 10, 2006 at 3:45 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

What is it that allows the remote radio to improve sound? Interested to hear on that one.

Please keep suggestions coming on which IEM's may be the best bet for me.

I believe it uses the line out rather than the headphone jack. It also has a nifty remote.
tongue.gif

EDIT: Oh, and it also enables the radio function on your iPod. I guess that's a plus too.

May 10, 2006 at 5:12 AM Post #11 of 12
I would def. recommend the 5 Pros. They are really the only good IEMs atm that are 99% of their potential without using an amp. They were MADE, literally, for the iPod, and thus made with the intention of being sensitive, so no amp would be needed to pull out their full potential.

May 10, 2006 at 5:58 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

What is it that allows the remote radio to improve sound? Interested to hear on that one.

Please keep suggestions coming on which IEM's may be the best bet for me.

Here's a link to the "Apple Remote Appreciation Thread":
http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...e+remote+radio

As stated above, it does provide a line out, as well as a surprisingly nice FM radio. I would buy it even if it did not contain a radio, but the radio works better than any mini-radio I've ever used. If you don't have an amp, it is not a good idea to bypass the headphone out on an i-pod using, e.g., a pocket dock. With the radio, you can bypass the headphone out safely without an amp. The bottom line is the thing just makes an I-pod sound MUCH better, and I'm really not sure why. I prefer the apple remote radio to a pocket dock even with an amp.

The only negative is that you will wind up with miles of cord. The solution for that is a couple of Sumajin smart wraps. www.sumajin.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back