Investigating Closed Headphones with similar sound to X2
Mar 12, 2015 at 4:40 PM Post #16 of 23
You're the consumer - it's your duty to be picky!

The H6's are light on build, and the PSB's tight. The HP50 isn't much better than the PSB besides clamping and styling - though the sound is a bit warmer. It's my favorite mid-tier jack-of-all-trades closed phone (and it even sounds pretty dang open). The P7 is much closer to the H6 in feel - lightweight and smaller pads IIRC. A little flimsy feeling, but considering it was a store demo model, I think that could probably be chalked up to prying hands messing with it constantly :D. The H6 I tested off my phone with tracks I know (along with the P7 and M4U1 at the same time), and I felt it had the tightest bass, with good definition and a hint of wet character in the lowest registers (sub 60Hz). The P7 was a bit wooly, but still managed to have lots of detail and dynamics and warmth. Confusing, really. I think the P7 should be tried if at all possible! (If you haven't noticed, I recommend you try everything, even if you don't think you'll like it!).

Also, I noticed your drum analogy - good stuff, a drummer myself (the hobby where I learned going to the store and trying gear is 1000x better than online videos or reviews - I try and pass this along as it applies perfectly to audio as well (duh)). I know exactly the sound you're talking about. The PSB is really accurate with it.

If I can think of any other cans to try, I'll let you know. The Focal Spirit Pro is another beloved can in that tier if I didn't mention it already? Haha. AKG K550's compete pretty well in that range, but are probably on the cold/analytical side for you. Big cups at least and build quality is up to par as well.

Mar 12, 2015 at 5:13 PM Post #17 of 23
Given their supposed penchant for a meatier sound I was expecting the P7s to have deep, big earcups, compared to, say, the H6. If they don't, that's okay, as long as the H6 isn't miles bigger than the P7. Ideally a bit bigger than h6 earcups would be nice.
Like I said, neither the M4U1 nor the H6 was bad, but you're right. I feel I've got to try the p7, in particular. Wasn't sure how Focal Spirit Pro ranked up here, which is why I haven't mentioned them before.
I was wary of the H6 because I'd heard people call them just a bit bass-light.
On "Enter Sandman" by Metallica, I want cans where the bass can rumble just a little. Same with a track like "Royals" by Lorde; on my x2, I can hear the air moving inside that big bass drum, even if it's synthesized. Bass doesn't necessarily need to be front and center in a presentation for me to like it, but it's got to be real. The h6 surprised me because from what I heard, it was very real. More and more I think that my desire for bass is more a desire for -real bass instead of, say, a desire for a bass tilt in particular. The x2 isn't disappointing me in that department, mind you; if it's a little loose or forward, it's not enough to put me off.

Mar 12, 2015 at 10:34 PM Post #18 of 23
Quick question, but should I try and demo any Shures? The SRH1540, or any of its little siblings since its price tag is pretty steep. I've never heard too much about Shures except that some of them are so freakishly flat as to be lovely for monitoring/reference and boring for music. And even that isn't a fact, just another opinion.

Mar 13, 2015 at 6:01 AM Post #19 of 23
Also also, should I still try the Nad Viso HP50 if I had mixed impressions of the M4U1? If they're so close as to be almost dead even next to each other, it might not be worth buying and then maybe returning to Amazon. Reviews call them fairly similar sonically. I also don't know how night-and-day different their build is, though I know the earcups are both boxy-rectangular and they both apparently have comfort issues. The PSB wasn't too bad for comfort, the H6's earcups were just a tad small.

Mar 13, 2015 at 9:25 AM Post #20 of 23
The HP50 is real close to the M4U1, just with less top end treble and warmer mids. I don't remember much difference in bass besides warmth. I'm not too sure on the Shures... Maybe check those threads for brief impressions to see if they pique your interest?

Mar 14, 2015 at 11:27 AM Post #21 of 23
So...from what I can see, the Shure is a good little jump up in price, for not a huge difference in sound quality. They might be more comfy than the others I've been talking about though. Most comfortable headphone I've ever worn so far is the HD598; such roomy earcups! Are all close-backed headphones around my chosen pricepoing going to have smaller earcups for isolation? Or are there some that will actually wrap around my ear rather than squeezing it? This isn't a make-or-break quality, but it's nice to have something comfortable. I use headphones pretty much constantly when I'm on my computer.
Also, just found a store that offers the PSB M4U2 at $299, and allows for returns up to ten days after purchase so long as you pay the shipping. Considering that the shop I demo'd at the other day offered the M4U1 at $299 and has an exchange but no return policy, I think this is a steal. This same shop that sells the M4U2 also sells the p7, so methinks I'm going to have to do some real side-by-side listening when I get the chance. Currently waiting for a couple of Amazon returns to process. The Nad Viso HP50 is offered for $20 cheaper than the M4U2, but I don't know whether it's worth investigating it as well as the M4U2.
And yes, I'm well aware that the M4U2 has a built-in amp and noise cancellation; the sole reason I'm considering it over the M4U1 is that it appears to be identical in passive mode and is being offered at the same price. So I would get extra features for absolutely no cost, and with no downside that I'm aware of (build quality? I know the M4U1 had issues when it came out and I hope the M4U2 isn't plagued by the same).

Mar 14, 2015 at 7:20 PM Post #22 of 23
Idk about the cup size, the K550's were pretty big. But the H6 and P7 are more of a 'lifestyle' look, so that usually means more compact.

The M4U2's ANC could be good for flights and subways, etc., though it doesn't sound the best (compared to Bose which kick total butt for ANC and comfort) in that mode. I'd take it over the 1 at the price and return policy!

I say try the P7, then make your call. You seem to know what you want pretty well, trust yourself, and be glad you took the time to find what you wanted!

Mar 14, 2015 at 8:58 PM Post #23 of 23
Heh. I sorta know what I want now, but even three weeks ago I wasn't so sure. I thought I knew, but was led badly astray after coming from a v-shaped set of gaming cans that had little else going for them. I've gone from being wrong about what I like to being extremely picky about what I like.
Will probably get the p7s next week or the week after sometime. Gotta wait for my Amazon refunds to kick in.

I know the M4U2's noise cancellation isn't on the level of Bose, and that its amp is nothing special. I wouldn't pay extra for those qualities and may not use either except while on a plane. Who knows? Maybe the P7 will be the last stop, for now at least, on this trip for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back