Invest in Geek Pulse or Save up?
Dec 27, 2013 at 12:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

PowerNerd

New Head-Fier
Hello, I have been looking into purchasing a good beginner audio setup, at this point preferably a combined setup (due to cost) and I've also some across many options. I am very interested in the Meridian Prime, as well as the Burson Conductor/SL or the Violetric V200 & V800 (DAC). My plan was to purchase one of those options to drive a pair of Audeze LCD-2's. Then while searching the internet I stumbled upon the Geek Pulse, specifically the Pulse X with the Amp upgrade, Femto clock upgrade, and LPS. Would someone please lead me in the right direction, would you personally invest in a product such as the Pulse X w/LPS, Amp and Femto clock upgrade or buy something that is well known? In addition, I will be using my Macbook Pro as a source so I will be using the USB input. Thank you in advance.

Dec 27, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #2 of 6
I vote for the Geek Pulse route. I started out just backing the basic Pulse. But now I'm backing a fully upgraded Pulse X. I got pulled into the campaign by the community behind it (Geek Force) and now I've joined the dark side. I fully endorse backing it as it's a product from a very well respected company (Light Harmonic) and some amazing minds.

I'll be running MBP > USB > Pulse, Blu-ray > coax > Pulse, Recon3D/U3 > optical Pulse. For me it just makes perfect sense to go this route.

[edit] Keep in mind things like delivery time and reputation. You're gambling somewhat with the Geek Pulse at this point. Components aren't finalized and delivery won't be for a while. But your gamble will reward you by saving a large amount of money. I calculated it out that compared to buying a Pulse at MSRP I'm saving over $400 and getting upgraded active components and a femto clock on top of that. For me it is completely worth the investment. And if I don't like the sound myself I can sell it for a profit and turn that around for something like the WA7 and have money to spare.

Dec 27, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #3 of 6
  I vote for the Geek Pulse route. I started out just backing the basic Pulse. But now I'm backing a fully upgraded Pulse X. I got pulled into the campaign by the community behind it (Geek Force) and now I've joined the dark side. I fully endorse backing it as it's a product from a very well respected company (Light Harmonic) and some amazing minds.

I'll be running MBP > USB > Pulse, Blu-ray > coax > Pulse, Recon3D/U3 > optical Pulse. For me it just makes perfect sense to go this route.

[edit] Keep in mind things like delivery time and reputation. You're gambling somewhat with the Geek Pulse at this point. Components aren't finalized and delivery won't be for a while. But your gamble will reward you by saving a large amount of money. I calculated it out that compared to buying a Pulse at MSRP I'm saving over $400 and getting upgraded active components and a femto clock on top of that. For me it is completely worth the investment. And if I don't like the sound myself I can sell it for a profit and turn that around for something like the WA7 and have money to spare.

Cool, thank you for your input I really appreciate it. I better hurry up and decide quick, time is running out.

Edit. Also how likely do you think the pulse will be given a new chassis by the image that you posted in the other thread or something similar?

Dec 27, 2013 at 2:17 PM Post #4 of 6
  Cool, thank you for your input I really appreciate it. I better hurry up and decide quick, time is running out.

Don't feel like you absolutely have to get in on the campaign now. Or if you do that you have to have all the accessories now. You can buy the Pulse and a couple upgrades now and get the LPS/Blue/Air etc down the road. Or do as many others are doing and wait until reviews start coming in. The choice is entirely up to you. Yes, there's less than 15 hours remaining in the campaign so if you want to get in now would be the time to do so. If you're wanting to get the best bang for your buck, back the campaign now and do all the upgrades and accessories you want. If you want to feel secure in your decision wait for reviews to come out and pay a bit more around summer. If you need something soon look into the alternatives.

And if you do happen to go with the Indiegogo campaign, there's a convenient referral link in my signature to get you there. :wink:

Dec 30, 2013 at 9:45 AM Post #5 of 6

Edit. Also how likely do you think the pulse will be given a new chassis by the image that you posted in the other thread or something similar?

Thanks for the input, I seriously waited till the last few hours, but couldn't take the plunge into something I'm new at and had no reviews of. I do hope they turn out to be great so I cant eventually pick one up.

Dec 30, 2013 at 12:00 PM Post #6 of 6
  Thanks for the input, I seriously waited till the last few hours, but couldn't take the plunge into something I'm new at and had no reviews of. I do hope they turn out to be great so I cant eventually pick one up.

It's all good, buying into an unreleased product is the gamble we take with crowd funding. And it's wise to be skeptical/hesitant on those kinds of things. I expect the reviews to be glowing considering that LH is making this product, so come summer/fall you'll probably have a ton of praising reviews.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back