Invest in Focal Utopia or Chord Hugo 2
Nov 2, 2018 at 7:01 AM Post #16 of 25
I have both a mojo and Hugo 2, and a utopia. The h2 is a step up, but the mojo is an excellent dac regardless. It is close to the mojo and much more portable. An amazing device in terms of power, resolution, and portability. The really cool thing about the utopia is that it makes everything sound much better than you imagined. You really have no idea how good your phone is by itself until you hear it with the utopia, which is easy to drive and pretty sensitive.
I am normally a source first guy, but in this case the utopia reveals so much untapped potential that I’d say get that first. I do have a Z1r also, and stax, and 800s. They all have their merits, but overall the utopia is best.

Jun 8, 2020 at 6:15 AM Post #21 of 25
Even the original Hugo had better sounstage than the Mojo.
I remember hearing the Mojo after the original Hugo and liked the slight added warmth but it sounded so conjested to the point I was quite shocked.

Jun 8, 2020 at 8:48 AM Post #23 of 25
I have both the Mojo and Hugo 2. When I compared them back to back with quick switching and matching of volumes and music segments, I couldn't consistently notice a difference in the sound (with various headphones). So I can't recommend getting the Hugo 2 if you already have the Mojo.

Also, I spent a lot of time comparing the Clear and Utopia. Cost aside, I wound up slightly preferring the Clear, so that's what I bought. I can recommend the Clear to complement the gear you already have.

wow really..???

Jun 9, 2020 at 8:59 PM Post #25 of 25
The Hugo2 in my experience is a huge step up from the Mojo. I always found the Mojo detailed but pinched, with a narrow stage and a sort of hard sound. A big step up from like a Dragonfly, but not quite a high-end sound. The Hugo2 is a big step up, much closer to for instance a PS Audio DirectStream (I believe it was Snowmass firmware, the latest at the time) driving Shure KSE1500s, or my main system via a PS Audio BHK.

The H2 is a swiss army knife, doing lots pretty well, and powering probably 99.2% of the cans out there very well. the marks against it are the weird user interface, remembering all the colours. But an essential piece IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back