Introductory DAC/Amp for Grado HF2
Feb 24, 2010 at 8:28 PM Post #16 of 32
You may want to look into getting a used Compass. They average around $250 SHIPPED to the US, if not less. I was able to obtain an even lower price purchasing on the head-fi forums.

Feb 24, 2010 at 9:29 PM Post #19 of 32
I agree about the tubes thing, not just because of the neutrality, but because I think Grados and tubes complement each other nicely...the added warmth counteracts the harshness of the Grados.

Audio-GD shipping is nowhere near cheap...I'd say shipping will run you a good $50. Same goes for the EF2, incidentally...maybe not *as* much, but it does make a difference. However, if you wanted to go that route, you might look on the FS forums or put up a WTB ad. You can get really good deals on a used Compass (I was recently on the wrong end of one of said good deals
tongue_smile.gif
jecklinsmile.gif
) now that it's been superceded by the FUN. Also, neither the FUN nor the Compass is what I'd call "compact"...my Compass was huge a nine-pound beast built like a tank, and the FUN seems to carry on the build quality. On the other hand, it's got build and parts quality you rarely find in amps in that budget range.

I never had an EF2, but it's been compared to a lower-powered EF1, which I can attest went wonderfully with Grados (and Grados really don't need power). I wouldn't concern yourself with the fact that it's "only" Grados...the source does make a huge difference, but the quality of the amp does as well. Plus, don't forget that you *can* eventually upgrade to a uDAC or the like with the EF2 (slippery slope, those upgrades).

Another alternative to the LD might be a Starving Student hybrid...I know Whiplash Audio sells them pre-made (it's normally a DIY thing), and theirs even has a gain switch which might benefit Grados and the like. Don't know anything about Whiplash, I haven't heard a SSMH with Grados (though my MiniMAX sounds great with them), but it's another option to research.

ED: I forgot to say, congrats on the HF2 purchase! I had an order in the first round, but chickened out, sadly.

Feb 24, 2010 at 9:40 PM Post #20 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rinshin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've tried my HF-2s out of a Compass, Zero, and EF-2. I personally enjoyed the EF-2 the most, just my two cents.

I like to head that!

smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 24, 2010 at 10:13 PM Post #21 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rinshin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've tried my HF-2s out of a Compass, Zero, and EF-2. I personally enjoyed the EF-2 the most, just my two cents.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lando3000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're considering the uDAC just keep in mind that they will sell out quick, maybe inside of a week

Man, you people aren't making it easy!

Quote:

Originally Posted by aristos_achaion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Plus, don't forget that you *can* eventually upgrade to a uDAC or the like with the EF2 (slippery slope, those upgrades).

I know that, and I considered it until I realized I'd then be paying $189 after shipping for just the EF2's amp and the DAC would get no use. At that point I started looking at the LD 1+, which after shipping is $40 cheaper and its lack of a DAC at that price makes me think it's a better deal. The EF2 sounded perfect for me until I read that its DAC was only good, not great.

Too many choices. Why can't they just make one DAC/Amp under $300 that so thoroughly blows everything away that its the only real option? I guess it's that silly thing called "competition", huh.

So here's a question: Which has the better amp for Grados or specifically HF-2s, the EF2 or the LD 1+? Both are so highly regarded. Or, is it worth stretching my budget to get a FUN? Is it going to trounce the uDac and at least play on par with the other amps?

Extra side note: Man, I should have put this in my signature earlier.

Feb 24, 2010 at 10:24 PM Post #22 of 32
After doing some forum searching and looking at specs for LDI+, I'd be tempted to go with it, especially since it seems like it'd offer some neat opportunities for tube rolling. Just don't accidentally bankrupt yourself on NOS tubes.
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 24, 2010 at 10:37 PM Post #23 of 32
Quote:

After doing some forum searching and looking at specs for LDI+, I'd be tempted to go with it, especially since it seems like it'd offer some neat opportunities for tube rolling. Just don't accidentally bankrupt yourself on NOS tubes.
tongue_smile.gif

I'll be careful
biggrin.gif

Their warranty looks great. Good thing too, because if I had to pay full shipping for a problem within the first month I'd be bankrupt already.

Anyone know what options are given for payment when you e-mail him? I'm not sure if I can use eBay or not, since my dad got the whole household banned a few years ago. I have an account and they haven't nuked me yet, but...

Feb 25, 2010 at 12:15 AM Post #24 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Head Injury /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my dad got the whole household banned a few years ago.

A bit OT, but I have to ask...precisely how did he manage that?
k701smile.gif

Feb 25, 2010 at 1:28 AM Post #25 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Head Injury /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know that, and I considered it until I realized I'd then be paying $189 after shipping for just the EF2's amp and the DAC would get no use. At that point I started looking at the LD 1+, which after shipping is $40 cheaper and its lack of a DAC at that price makes me think it's a better deal. The EF2 sounded perfect for me until I read that its DAC was only good, not great.

But then you can sell the EF2 and get an even better amp! So you get the EF2 to use with your HF-2 (which according to Rinshin sounds the best) until you can get the uDac to drive it (this must sound even better) then eventually sell of the EF2 when you become unhappy with your setup. I am doing it that way, but mostly because I didn't want to spend a lot of money on a good amp but I need an amp and a DAC. It worked out to be a perfect transition for me. I also really like going one step at a time so I can become very familiar with each piece of my setup.

All of your options are really good so don't stress over it too much. I didn't look at the LD 1+ when I made my purchases so that might end up being the best option if you get the uDac right away.

Feb 25, 2010 at 1:38 AM Post #26 of 32
Quote:

A bit OT, but I have to ask...precisely how did he manage that?
k701smile.gif

Something to do with buying knockoff sunglasses en masse and selling them as the real deal for three times as much? Then not stopping after several warnings?

We've been able to recreate accounts sporadically but they usually get locked down fast. Mine's been alive for a few months now, but I haven't bought anything with it. As long as I get one purchase in I'll be happy
smily_headphones1.gif

Shouldn't be telling any of you this. You'll never buy my sunglasses again!

Quote:

Originally Posted by DayoftheGreek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But then you can sell the EF2 and get an even better amp! So you get the EF2 to use with your HF-2 (which according to Rinshin sounds the best) until you can get the uDac to drive it (this must sound even better) then eventually sell of the EF2 when you become unhappy with your setup. I am doing it that way, but mostly because I didn't want to spend a lot of money on a good amp but I need an amp and a DAC. It worked out to be a perfect transition for me. I also really like going one step at a time so I can become very familiar with each piece of my setup.

All of your options are really good so don't stress over it too much. I didn't look at the LD 1+ when I made my purchases so that might end up being the best option if you get the uDac right away.

He said it sounded the best out of what he tried. Of course, I don't think anyone who posted here has actually tried the LD 1+. I suppose I just think that, if I'm getting a dedicated DAC anyway, there's not much sense in paying extra for a built-in one that's inferior. When done with it, I can sell the LD 1+ too
smile.gif

If I needed an all-in-one, it would be my choice. Since I don't, and just want what's best for the money, my best option may be elsewhere. All of my options are good, but I tend to obsess over little things to a fault. I spent probably 30+ hours researching parts for my computer just so I could save maybe $100. Let me have my eccentricities.

Feb 25, 2010 at 3:00 AM Post #27 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by DayoftheGreek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
(which according to Rinshin sounds the best)

He said it sounded the best of the ones he tried, which was Compass, Zero, and EF2--basically just comparing the Compass to the EF2, since a Compass is basically a Zero done right. He didn't actually try the LD...actually, if you google "LDI+ EF2 site:head-fi.org" you do find some posts comparing the two (my takeaway was that folks preferred the LD, but I didn't spend that long looking).

Incidentally, googling with "site:head-fi.org" is a rather good way of researching in the forums (less annoying than the native search...there's even a Firefox plugin to google Head-fi).

Quote:

then eventually sell of the EF2 when you become unhappy with your setup.

Main problem I see there is that selling usually involves a slight loss. All three components (uDAC, LDI+, EF2) seem to have pretty solid resale values, but I don't really like going into a purchase planning on selling if I don't have to.

Quote:

Yup. I'd search the forums looking for LDI+ impressions (since it's touted for low-impedence headphones, finding LDI+ + Grado reviews shouldn't be too hard). Having the EF2's built-in DAC might be a useful backup if you ever need it, and it would suggest a reasonable upgrade path...maybe you could plan on saving the uDAC money towards something like a MF V-DAC, or wait till a cheap Alien comes up FS to save a few bucks.

Anyway, they both sound like great values, and either way you go, it'll sound great, but you'll always have that naggling doubt about the other one.

Feb 25, 2010 at 3:18 AM Post #28 of 32
I'll look into the comparisons. The site search annoys me, so I'll try the Google one.

This last bit of research may ultimately decide it, unless anyone has other suggestions. Thanks for the help everyone.

Feb 25, 2010 at 4:13 AM Post #30 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeatFan12 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I posted a link for you for this combo. Post #3 in this thread. Page 3, post #43 of said link. You even have some pics...

Cheers

Oops, forgot about you
smily_headphones1.gif

Alright, at this point (and thanks to HeatFan12's review!) I've decided on at least the uDac, and 80-90% sure of the LD. Tomorrow I think I'll snatch a uDac before they sell out of black. Are all the Chinese manufacturers still gone for New Years? I read in one thread that everyone including David of LD will be back in business March 1st.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back